Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #21
Rock Hornbuckle

Default Re: Is it Roadster Pickup or open cab pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Nomenclature is something that has changed in the last decade or so where the proper names are the popular term to use over the fabricated words many have used. Open Cab Pick-up is the proper term for the 76A and 76B bodystyle if someone is to be politically correct.

Just a few other 'slang' words are "Touring Car" instead of Phaeton, "Splash Aprons" instead of Body Aprons, "Bellhousing" instead of Clutch Housing, "Backing Plates" instead of Brake Housing Plates, ...and the biggie one is, the term 'AR' instead of Early Model-A.
The biggest slang of them all is "Motor" when referring to an Engine.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #22
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
I thought I might expand on this a little. In my memory (and it is going fast) The early 28 brake system was so bad it was outlawed in the State of Pennsylyvania. This means Ford had to go to the seperate emergency brake system real fast and that AR was then used as a designation for a replacement parts. Doc Kalinka and all of us "early birds" started using the "AR' designation to incorrectly refer to Early 28 cars and parts in the Ford parts books not realizing we were not correct it went on for years until just a few years ago we started calling them "Early 28" cars and parts.
I hope this helps, Ken
Was the early brake system really ''outlawed''??
It was not dangerous & Ford brakes on the first Model A were often superior to the other makes in a similar price range. Actually, I think Ford changed to a separate emergency system because of laws in Europe & other markets. Foreign sales were a huge profit for Ford in the early pre War era.
The 1932 Ford went back to a similar early 1928 brake system but a separate emergency brake was also produced for most foreign sales.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #23
Keith True

It was never really outlawed,Ford just couldn't sell cars in Pennsylvania with the combined braking system.In the early 70's somebody researched and wrote a very detailed article on just what happened.There's got to be somebody here who remembers who wrote it.I will come across it someday,I have every piece of paper I collected pertaining to the A since 1968.It seems like New Jersey was involved too,but that may have been something to do with the gas tank.Somebody tried to prohibit the tank in the lap,but it was shown not to be a problem.My limited experience with the early braking system has been excellent.Just a little work on the setup and they are good for a long time.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Hicktick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Actually the top on an Open Cab (RPU) does not fold down like the top on a Roadster (car). The whole top is simply removed on a nice day.

Don't pay me any attention , I don't know anything about these cars .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
southfork

The early brake system was phased out by June of 1928 according to the book "Henry's Lady," but didn't it continue on in the USA on commercial cars well into 1929? What's the latest Model A built for the American market that still has the early brake system (with the left hand emergency brake arm)? Any of you Model A experts seen left hand brakes on 1929 Model A's? If so, were they correct?
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote