Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
bigd1101

Default One thing I've learned as a new A owner....

Besides everything I thought I would not need to know, owning a 90 year old car that was supposed to be ready to go is a real crap shoot. Mind you, any car with age and not so old car, can be a crap shoot, but this new/old girl has been a challenge. The first run out ended in overheating and since then I've done it all other than pulling the head but getting the new radiator ( the old one was plugged and corroded) new water pump, various things that it needed as it sat for two years before I got her, timing, new fluids, fresh gas, carb parts....(I'm waiting on the new radiator) and hopefully will have her running before the snow flies as I'm in the Finger Lakes in NYS and crossing fingers she behaves this next time around.

The one thing I've leaned with these old machines......don't over think it. It truly is different than any old car or truck I've ever owned, but I'm also a anal... determined SOB and when I'm done, which I might never be much like the three old houses I've restored, I'm OK with it all. The short time I got to drive it, so far, was a blast and unique and I felt like I was driving a piece of early automotive history, something many will never experience. Mr. Ford may have "cut corners" pumping out so many of these cars, but how many modern POS will be around in the numbers he cranked out, 100 years from now? That says a lot about the Model A and the Model T and their resilience. I'd say driver abuse is the number one cause of why more aren't still puttering around. I wish my mom (1920) and dad (1913) were still around for a ride in this car....maybe they are

ps.....couldn't have done it without you folks, thanks for all your (continued) help,

Don

Last edited by bigd1101; 10-10-2018 at 01:33 PM.
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: One thing I've learned as a new A owner....

You have the right positive attitude. Eventually you will win and your Phaeton will be "domesticated and reliable". Welcome to the hobby!
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
You have the right positive attitude. Eventually you will win and your Phaeton will be "domesticated and reliable". Welcome to the hobby!

LOL! Yes, she certainly has been challenging. Being 66 and acquiring lots of patience over the years helps. Funny thing is, I could just look at her all day and be happy as she's beautiful......like a trophy wife

Don
Old 10-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
GerryAllen

You say Ford cut a few corners, I believe for the times his car was very well put together. I am amazed with how well thought out it was and is. When you think of the year and what was available at the time the Model A was a practical car. JMHO
I know what you mean about driving History, I am always happy to drive mine. I have found the car to be most dependable, have driven it 5000 miles since March of this year. Once yours is up and running you won't be able to wipe the smile off you face. I sneak out to the garage every chance I get just to peak at it. The car has brought a lot of Joy, I have learned you can't push it 40-45 it a comfortable speed, any I higher and I tense up :~).
Gerry Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
Keith

Don,

Don, I see that you live in Ithaca, check out the Sullivan Trail A's Model A Club. I met Jim Morris out at the New England Meet in Lake George in Sept. They look like a very active club and am sure there are members that can guide you along with some of your problems and sure to arise future ones Here is there website: http://sullivantrailas.com/
Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
30ccpickup

Bigd1101, I haven't been reading all the threads lately but in case it hasn't been said...with your radiator out flush your engine several times with a garden hose.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #7
jm29henry

sounds like you have a good handle on things . please keep us updated on your progress
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #8
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Don,

Don, I see that you live in Ithaca, check out the Sullivan Trail A's Model A Club. I met Jim Morris out at the New England Meet in Lake George in Sept. They look like a very active club and am sure there are members that can guide you along with some of your problems and sure to arise future ones Here is there website: http://sullivantrailas.com/
I did yesterday.......
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 AM   #9
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ccpickup View Post
Bigd1101, I haven't been reading all the threads lately but in case it hasn't been said...with your radiator out flush your engine several times with a garden hose.

Yep........I did from the top then the bottom hose inlets about 20 times. Actually, I used my pressure washer from the top then the hose from the bottom.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:32 AM   #10
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryAllen View Post
You say Ford cut a few corners, I believe for the times his car was very well put together. I am amazed with how well thought out it was and is. When you think of the year and what was available at the time the Model A was a practical car. JMHO
I know what you mean about driving History, I am always happy to drive mine. I have found the car to be most dependable, have driven it 5000 miles since March of this year. Once yours is up and running you won't be able to wipe the smile off you face. I sneak out to the garage every chance I get just to peak at it. The car has brought a lot of Joy, I have learned you can't push it 40-45 it a comfortable speed, any I higher and I tense up :~).
Gerry Birch Bay WA

I said that as a few here have said that (I could be wrong).......not my opinion as I'm new to A's.

Last edited by bigd1101; 10-11-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
30 Closed Cab PU

Keep us updated, am curious of the results of your new radiator. Glad you are not discouraged.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #12
holdover

The various quirks of a Model A are part of the enjoyment of owning one, each has their own personality. Most times the fix is easy, sometimes a bit expensive, but in most cases with a little research and all the friends on the barn or a call to a club member, a solution gets things right. I have had all sorts of vehicles over the years from hot rods , Corvettes, Mustangs other muscle and sports cars, but nothing compares to taking my '29 CCPU, '29 Coupe, '31 Tudor or '31 AA for a ride or finishing the restoration of my '30 AA SWB DRW. I bought my first Model A in 1966. Keeping all these going with the help of my son and grand kids keeps this old man busy! it has been said " Life is good in a Model A" and I couldn't agree more.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
mhsprecher

I know I am prejudiced, but I think the Model A was one of the best cars ever made. Cheap, simple, durable and reliable.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
1928Mik

I'm kinda like Holdover, I have owned many classic and muscle cars over the years. Some I should have kept, some found good homes that I couldn't give them. When I got my A, I had to re-educate myself via the 'net to get it up and running after a 30 year hiatus since all the old guys I knew had passed on. Now it's a blast owning and maintaining, and without this site I would be lost. Most Model A guys are the best out there. Some sport and muscle car guys cop an attitude, but I've found it's rare in the A hobby.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #15
nhusa

I got a 1919 Model T before I got a 31 Town Sedan.
Early on someone told me that once I got the A going I would drive it more often than the T.
He was right!
The T is fun to drive but I have to watch out for everything, including bumps in the road, drivers that drift towards me because they are gawking, etc

I pay attention in the A but can be a bit more relaxed when driving
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #16
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1101 View Post
Besides everything I thought I would not need to know, owning a 90 year old car that was supposed to be ready to go is a real crap shoot. Mind you, any car with age and not so old car, can be a crap shoot, but this new/old girl has been a challenge. The first run out ended in overheating and since then I've done it all other than pulling the head but getting the new radiator ( the old one was plugged and corroded) new water pump, various things that it needed as it sat for two years before I got her, timing, new fluids, fresh gas, carb parts....(I'm waiting on the new radiator) and hopefully will have her running before the snow flies as I'm in the Finger Lakes in NYS and crossing fingers she behaves this next time around.

The one thing I've leaned with these old machines......don't over think it. It truly is different than any old car or truck I've ever owned, but I'm also a anal... determined SOB and when I'm done, which I might never be much like the three old houses I've restored, I'm OK with it all. The short time I got to drive it, so far, was a blast and unique and I felt like I was driving a piece of early automotive history, something many will never experience. Mr. Ford may have "cut corners" pumping out so many of these cars, but how many modern POS will be around in the numbers he cranked out, 100 years from now? That says a lot about the Model A and the Model T and their resilience. I'd say driver abuse is the number one cause of why more aren't still puttering around. I wish my mom (1920) and dad (1913) were still around for a ride in this car....maybe they are

ps.....couldn't have done it without you folks, thanks for all your (continued) help,

Don
Speaking of driver abuse, at or near the top of the list is improper use of the spark (timing) lever! Completely up (retarded)is only for starting (or making it go 'pucka-pucka' to impress by standers). Pull down a few clicks for idling.
It is not a 'set and forget' when driving either. Timing has to be varied with the lever for varying speeds and loads (like climbing hills).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote