Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
talfaro87

Default 1930 Cabriolet Top

Hello all
I have a 1930 Cabriolet and am part way through installing the new top wood, and am preparing to put on the canvas top. The car came with the new canvas top kit in a box, but no installation guide. What are some good resources? I am new to the ford barn forums and have been really enjoying the wealth of information. Thanks in advance
talfaro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: 1930 Cabriolet Top

Contact the cabriolet club for help. http://clubs.hemmings.com/modelacabriolet/index.html

Last edited by Clem Clement; 05-22-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
jw hash

I have a new 68B top still in the box, I will look and see if the instructions are in the box. but saying that, I know and do a lot of my own work but I have learn the hard way to let someone that knows how to install the tops do the work. it is not an easy job.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
talfaro87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Contact the cabriolet club for help. http://clubs.hemmings.com/modelacabriolet/index.html
Thank you, i will do that.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #5
talfaro87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
I have a new 68B top still in the box, I will look and see if the instructions are in the box. but saying that, I know and do a lot of my own work but I have learn the hard way to let someone that knows how to install the tops do the work. it is not an easy job.
I'd appreciate a copy if you find any instructions. I thought about finding someone who could do it, but the funds are a bit tight, plus I tend to be a bit stubborn and at least try to do things myself. Thank you for your response
Old 05-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
larrys40

Installing cabriolet and sport coupe tops are some of the most difficult.
Having done a sport coupe before for a customer and my own 68c ahead of me there is a high amount of difficulty to them.

I believe Lebaron Bonney says that the sport coupe is the most difficult top they sell to do with the cabriolet right there with it. You will have to judge your own skill and resource level in comparison to farming it out and if your pain level of potentially purchasing a second top in case the first doesn’t work out . A reality that could happen.

If you try to make the bow drill cover in ONE PIECE which it should be you will have to stretch and mount it in the bias.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
figment

I would recommend looking at a nicely restored Cabriolet like yours and note the shape of the wooden top bows. They may need to be shaped before installing the outer trim . There was also some covering in some areas before installing the upholstery over the top bows . I hope this makes sense . Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
WHN

We had the top replaced on our 29 Sport Coupe about 20 years ago. The shop that did the work just does classic car tops and interiors. The job took two weeks, and was very expensive. They did a great job, forget the rest of the car, the top gets all the complements. Tan wip cord.

My advise. If your short on funds, wait until you can do it right. If your top is poorly done, it’s like a bad haircut. No matter how nice the suit, everyone is looking at the hair. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
talfaro87

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
I would recommend looking at a nicely restored Cabriolet like yours and note the shape of the wooden top bows. They may need to be shaped before installing the outer trim . There was also some covering in some areas before installing the upholstery over the top bows . I hope this makes sense . Norm
Yes sir, it does. I am in no rush. I have a young family, and my model a is something I work on in small chunks when I get a few hours. I am going to the national convention in June, just a couple hours from me, and am hoping to get a look at some redone tops to give me a better idea of how it should be. Thank you
Old 05-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #10
talfaro87

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
We had the top replaced on our 29 Sport Coupe about 20 years ago. The shop that did the work just does classic car tops and interiors. The job took two weeks, and was very expensive. They did a great job, forget the rest of the car, the top gets all the complements. Tan wip cord.

My advise. If your short on funds, wait until you can do it right. If your top is poorly done, it’s like a bad haircut. No matter how nice the suit, everyone is looking at the hair. Enjoy.
A beautiful top definitely shines. This will definitely be a process of gaining lots of info before the first shred of canvas is applied. I don't mind keeping it topless for a while while I figure it out, or decide to find some one to do it
Old 05-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #11
pbishop

My kit was ‘out-of-the-box’ as well.

Check out Marco’s ‘A Model A Barnyard’ on the web – www.abarnyard.com . Marco is a ‘senior member’. Click the ‘Begin the Tour’ arrow on the right bottom of the page and then select ‘The Workshop’. Then select ‘Installing a Closed Car Roof’.

I followed Marco’s directions for my 31’ Deluxe Coupe to install the top. 20 years on and the top is totally tight, as the day I finished It (still can bounce a coin off the top). The KEY is to stretch the top on a HOT day and IN THE SUN. That way it can only contract in cold weather.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote