Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
steve s

Default letting go

I finally had to let my first car go--a 1929 Town Sedan bought in 1960. Although DBS surgery last summer had fixed the tremor, other Parkinson's symptoms remained and made it either impossible or just no fun to do the routine maintenance, tinkering, and general clamboring around that goes with Model A ownership. I no longer felt that I could do as totally competent and safe a job driving it as I should, and I didn't want the car to just sit there for my wife to have to deal with some day. We found a good home for it.

I'm as interested as ever in Model A related stuff and suppose I'll continue to check in with this fine forum for the foreseeable future and dispense my 2-cents worth once in a while.

It's been a hoot!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 yearbook back page-joe strength.jpg (77.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg more high school hi-jinks--trying to drive into school.jpg (111.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg adding oil before return to EMU after weekend home with roommate - skeptical Mom watching.jpg (59.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Steve moving in to Ypsi Lowell Street flat - sophomore year at EMU.jpg (68.2 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg the long sleep in Grandma's garage, 1965-1986.jpg (47.8 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 1986 victory lap-1st time running since 1965.jpg (66.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Restoration begins - data suggest eating rust and old paint causes baldness!.jpg (52.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg friend helps install first of several new motors.jpg (58.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg view of interior before replacement by Brownie (RIP) of Lancaster OH - dance contest prize T-shi.jpg (51.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 3rd interior installed by Brownie (RIP) of Lancaster OH.jpg (88.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg all dressed up with somewhere to go - Grand Rapids meet.jpg (106.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg back at my high school home 45 years later - Troy Roundup.jpg (73.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Nancy at the wheel on return from Williamsburg meet - 2007.jpg (81.1 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg the last mod, radial tires - not as pretty but oh so nice to drive.jpg (75.9 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by steve s; 06-25-2019 at 02:56 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
ronn

Default Re: letting go

Thanks for letting us know. Ive always appreciated your wisdom on various means of repairs etc.
sorry to see you had to sell your A, but we all go through it.

wishing you the best!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
loubob

I'm sorry to read of your health situation. No doubt selling your "old friend" was a hard thing to do.
I wish you all the best in your future and stay well.
Please continue to post as there are many Barners you can continue to help.

Loubob
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
Tacoma Bob

Steve...Please stay on board. Wisdom comes from knowing when enough is enough. I too am having medical issues and have grown concerned about not being able to drive our Tudor any longer. We loved touring but with increased idiots on the roads here in the Seattle area we will be going more for an ice cream car.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:16 AM   #5
TerryH

Steve....have always enjoyed and appreciated your many posts over the years. Most all of us will also have to face that rather sad day sometime down the road....never easy parting with an old friend like that.
Best wishes with your health and please stay around here!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:29 AM   #6
SAJ

Steve, we are very sorry to hear that you have to relinquish a hobby you obviously love so well.
I feel a kindred spirit since I too have been immersed in Chemistry, Science and engineering for my whole working and leisure lives.
Please continue to offer sage advice, and also polite correction to those who “mis-speak” about the subjects you have taught, practised and know so well.
I for one would appreciate that.
We wish you well from down under
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #7
Synchro909

Besides being active on this forum, I assume you are a member of a Model A club. I'm sure your continued participation in both would be welcome. Might help you too.
All the best to both you and your wife and thank you for your advice from time to time.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 AM   #8
woofa.express

That's sad Steve.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #9
Tinbasher

Well done sir. I think the key in your statement was that the A went to a good home. And hopefully you can pass all that you've learn't along.
Have fun with your "Ice Cream Car"

John
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
rocket1

I'm sure it was sad,keep involved in the hobby in some way,best of luck.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
Ernie Vitucci

Just as an aside...I do know a fellow who when he became too infirm to repair and drive his 'A', he taught a young lady down the street to do the work and to drive him in his car. When he went to the big garage in the sky, the young lady became the owner of his 'A'. I will bet there are young people in all of our neighborhoods...and what a way to hand a car to the next generation...someone to repair for you and drive for you and to then take the 'A' into the next generation or two or three! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
History

My son and I were just looking at a quilt my wife's great grandmother had made and my wife inherited. Her grandmother was 98 so it's pretty old quilt in awesome shape. Hand stitched with pieces so small I was amazed she'd even used them. You did what you had to... The material is the kind that wouldn't be comfortable touching your skin but it would be very warm. My son is an old soul and loves the past and it's people. I told him he should ask his mom now for the quilt if he wants it. He will respect and care for it. Value comes into play in anything collectible but the people I respect the most value the history of the item more than money.

Steve I hope your car went to someone who loves history and makes sure it's story is told. That's what's important to me, the story. Some of us think were insignificant, myself included but in a hundred years the story is as important as the item,,,, atleast to me.

Good luck Steve and I hope you fair well with your health.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #13
harleynut

I appreciate what your thoughts are because I will be going thru the same thing because of age and health issues. I got two As and they must go. Probably for a lot less than what I got into them. My grown kids have no interest in them. But, it is what it is. Best of luck Steve
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #14
holdover

Sorry to hear about your health condition. At 73 I am facing issues that I never thought I would have to deal with. I am fortunate that I have a son and two grandsons that enjoy my five model As and are in a financial situation that a future sale would not be necessary, and that brings me comfort. Best of luck and keep in touch.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #15
chap52

We all are approaching that place in our lives where we will have to make those heartbreaking decisions. It's not what we have that matters, but what we pass on, both materially and our passions that will continue to bless and impact others.
As W.C. Fields said, "It's time to take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
Bless you and those that will walk in your footsteps. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #16
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynut View Post
I appreciate what your thoughts are because I will be going thru the same thing because of age and health issues. I got two As and they must go. Probably for a lot less than what I got into them. My grown kids have no interest in them. But, it is what it is. Best of luck Steve
The body shop owner who did my mom's Model A told me that his trade magazines say you should expect to be able to sell a restored car for half of what you put into it. That turned out to be about rlght. When you own a car for nearly 60 years you have the opportunity to sink a lot of money in it. I never really worried about it as an investment, any more than when I bought anything else that I wanted did I expect that it would have equal or greater value to someone else after I was done with it. It was fun for me!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #17
jimalabam

Smile Re: letting go

Steve: Stay as active as you can. Driving the "A" is great fun, but you can stay BZ with other related "A" hobbies and please stay on the barn. Best wishes, Jim Langley..
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

Sorry to hear of your health issues.

It is real hard to let go of a car like this one, that you have owned for so long and made a lot of good memories with.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:33 PM   #19
Synchro909

When the time comes for me to sell my cars, I won't have a problem with it. They are just things. I will have had my time with them and had my fun out of them. Whatever the new owner does with them will bring him fun too. That will be my legacy with them.
I know that when I go, my family will talk of the good times their parents had with those cars (although they can't understand why we do) and that will in turn, give them comfort. We are only the custodians of these cars for a short while, then someone else will take their turn. There are no pockets in shrouds!
Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #20
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
When the time comes for me to sell my cars, I won't have a problem with it. They are just things......

This is how I feel--theoretically. However, one of the traits of personalities of the MBTI"s ENTJ type is an irrationally strong attachment to their things. This is true in my case: there's hardly a day has gone by since I accepted $100 as trade-in value on my second car that I don't kick myself. Similarly, for my first guitar, which was burgled.

Letting my Ford go was totally a rational decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stewart Ave.jpg (59.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Hard at work.jpg (32.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by steve s; 06-27-2019 at 12:18 PM.