Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
DAMAutoRestorations

Default 1930 Ford Model A 4Dr (Inherited Don't Know Much - HELP)

My Dad left me this 1930 Ford Model A 4 Door. I don't know anything about them and I have a guy interested in purchasing mine. I've never seen it run all that I do know is that it's been in my dad's shop my entire life. It is (as far as I know) all original *Correction, pretty close to original* and if anything on it happened to have been replaced I still have the parts, right down to the old spark plugs that I am sure of. I couldn't get the individual images to attach here. So, I have attached a Google Slides Presentation with a few pictures, unfortunately, it's a bit dusty but maybe someone here can tell me what I've got.

What I do know is that it has the original Mohair Interior (serape just protects the seat). Also, Dad used to refer to it as a Briggs & Stratton, I think in regards to the engine but I may be mistaken.
I have a VIN # From the Texas Title Doc. 3407196
Ford 1930 4dr Sedan Weight: 2600

This buyer seems really eager and is trying to downplay just how easy they are to come by in a condition similar to this one, and it makes this gal raise an eyebrow. I'm the only daughter of a self-made car guy, so I'm sure I appear to be a seemingly easy target for some.

What I need to know is: Do I have something possibly worth more or less than it appears to be at first glance? Suggestions on an asking price? Is this maybe what they call a "Blind Back"?

Thanks! Any Advice or Help is Greatly Appreciated!!!

https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

UPDATE: Here is what I have been able to discover thus far.

- 1930 Ford Model A 170B Briggs Deluxe Fordor Sedan (2 Window) S/N: 167-7329 (tag under the hood)
- Updated Electrical, Sealed Beam Head Lights & Four Blade Cooling Fan
- The black has been repainted for sure, however not too sure about the Maroon.

* We have detailed it, and it's relatively pretty now. Pictures to follow soon.
* We will see how The Dude feels about looking into the motor before I find someone to sell it to. (No promises there, as we are a little behind on the list of old broken stuff around here)

Last edited by DAMAutoRestorations; 08-23-2019 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Forgotten Info. Discovered Information
DAMAutoRestorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #2
77Birdman

Default Re: 1930 Ford Model A 4Dr (Inherited Don't Know Much - HELP)

That car looks really nice. IF it is all original, fantastic! I think if it were mine I would clean, put the running gear safe and enjoy it as is. I cant give any details on the car itself, but as a prospective buyer that has been looking at what seems about everyone of these that has been for sale for the better part of the last 5 years, I would think 10k-15k would be a price I would be willing to pay. Maybe leaning towards 15k if its as good as the pics show. May be a good idea to tell us what the potential buyer is looking to pay for it, theres plenty of guys on here to say if its a reasonable offer. I think the best selling feature is its originality. Restored examples can be had for in the 15k range.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
DAMAutoRestorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
That car looks really nice. IF it is all original, fantastic! I think if it were mine I would clean, put the running gear safe and enjoy it as is. I cant give any details on the car itself, but as a prospective buyer that has been looking at what seems about everyone of these that has been for sale for the better part of the last 5 years, I would think 10k-15k would be a price I would be willing to pay. Maybe leaning towards 15k if its as good as the pics show. May be a good idea to tell us what the potential buyer is looking to pay for it, theres plenty of guys on here to say if its a reasonable offer. I think the best selling feature is its originality. Restored examples can be had for in the 15k range.
My dad was talking with a guy a few years back about selling it, the number that had been thrown around was $25K, but my Dad backed out at the last minute and decided to keep it. The guy that I have been talking to hasn't really given me much to go on in terms of price, for the Model A alone. He just said a whole bunch of $100 dollar bills. What he was trying to get me to do in the beginning was let the Model A and the Original 62 Impala go for $15K total. I may be blonde but I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. He's a pretty fast talker, like "oh these Model A's are a dime a dozen" but I've been in contact with this guy for about a year now and he is still interested in something so it can't be that unspectacular right?
Old 08-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
DAMAutoRestorations

What I really need to figure out is the numbering thing I have seen in a few threads here... I am guessing that would be the series or something? Ugh, I feel so unknowing when it comes to a lot of the particulars of older cars. I'm the hot rod fan, the one with the 38 chevy coupe but it's titled as a 38 chevy sedan. This all-original too the T stuff just gives me the willies because how can anyone really know all of the options available in the 1930s? it's nerve-wracking really!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
fordwife

They are not that easy to find in that good condition. Contact the nearest model A club for help. look online, I'm sure someone will help you.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
abachman3

As it is not very well cleaned, inside and out, I would say that it is more of a $10-12,000. car. If we knew it runs and stops, I could see a little bit more. Yes, it is a blindback sedan. The headlights appear to be sealed beams, so perhaps it is 12-volt...non-original.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
DAMAutoRestorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by abachman3 View Post
As it is not very well cleaned, inside and out, I would say that it is more of a $10-12,000. car. If we knew it runs and stops, I could see a little bit more. Yes, it is a blindback sedan. The headlights appear to be sealed beams, so perhaps it is 12-volt...non-original.
I intended to take it out and clean it but that is easier said than done, as there's only one door in and out of where it is stored. But thank you for the note about it possibly being updated to 12 volts I will double-check that.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #8
tuneman

You should post your location,Pricing has a bearing on what part of the country your in!
Once we know where you are we can recomend a local club to give you sound advice on it"s value.
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
DAMAutoRestorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
You should post your location,Pricing has a bearing on what part of the country your in!
Once we know where you are we can recomend a local club to give you sound advice on it"s value.
About 30 or so Miles North of San Antonio, Texas!
Old 08-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
DAMAutoRestorations

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...3782&showall=1

These guys got me thinking but after I found their thread, no such luck on finding out how to find out which one of these bad boys I've got in the barn...
Old 08-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
DAMAutoRestorations

http://www.significantcars.com/cars/1930ford5/

Are the Stop and Slow tail light on the back, originally what was on these cars? I've got a few around here, should at least one set go with mine or is that something extra they have added? Also, mine doesn't have the funny little box that everyone else seems to have, does that mean anything important in terms of what type it is?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
rotorwrench

That one appears to be a 170B Briggs fordor sedan. The reason that they are somewhat rare is that the fordors use a lot of wood inside and this makes them more difficult and expensive to restore. Many folks interested in Ford Model As look for the usual roadsters, coupes, & phaetons but they are all wonderful old cars. Some are just more popular than others.

Yours looks to have been restored somewhere in the 60s/70s/80s period. It has the usual changes seen in many restored cars like the float a motor kit, 4-blade fan, and sealed beam headlamps, etc.. It's not uncommon for these cars to have been restored several times in their existence.

Clean yours up and get it running. This would go a long way toward getting a better sale price. I'm not sure if Ray of Ray's Model A in Cibolo is still around but he does work for a lot of the Alamo A chapter people here in the San Antonio region. Many restoration guys are booked up in advance but I used to get some parts from him now and then. Parts can be ordered from Bratton's or other vendors so you don't have to venture out if you do any mechanical work yourself.

If the interior is decent and the wood is still holding things together then you have a jewel in the rough there. Sentimental value can go a lot farther than actual value and it generally boils down to what folks are willing to pay for a car as to what it's worth. I would say post #5 is pretty close if you can't clean it up better and make it more presentable. There are a lot of things folks can't see like condition of the brakes, steering, suspension, and drive train condition. A running car will allow that stuff to be checked out by a potential buyer.

Welcome on the barn and to the wonderful world of Model A Fords.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
DAMAutoRestorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
That one appears to be a 170B Briggs fordor sedan. The reason that they are somewhat rare is that the fordors use a lot of wood inside and this makes them more difficult and expensive to restore. Many folks interested in Ford Model As look for the usual roadsters, coupes, & phaetons but they are all wonderful old cars. Some are just more popular than others.

Yours looks to have been restored somewhere in the 60s/70s/80s period. It has the usual changes seen in many restored cars like the float a motor kit, 4-blade fan, and sealed beam headlamps, etc.. It's not uncommon for these cars to have been restored several times in their existence.

Clean yours up and get it running. This would go a long way toward getting a better sale price. I'm not sure if Ray of Ray's Model A in Cibolo is still around but he does work for a lot of the Alamo A chapter people here in the San Antonio region. Many restoration guys are booked up in advance but I used to get some parts from him now and then. Parts can be ordered from Bratton's or other vendors so you don't have to venture out if you do any mechanical work yourself.

If the interior is decent and the wood is still holding things together then you have a jewel in the rough there. Sentimental value can go a lot farther than actual value and it generally boils down to what folks are willing to pay for a car as to what it's worth. I would say post #5 is pretty close if you can't clean it up better and make it more presentable. There are a lot of things folks can't see like condition of the brakes, steering, suspension, and drive train condition. A running car will allow that stuff to be checked out by a potential buyer.

Welcome on the barn and to the wonderful world of Model A Fords.
Thanks for the info! I actually have Ray's card! I totally spaced I should definitely give him a call, he was a friend of my dads! We were actually just talking about what we have to move to pull it out of the barn this morning, I am hoping it looks better in sunlight. Though it has been about 20 years since the poor thing has been outside, the vampire car is a more fitting title, haha. Thanks Again!
Old 08-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #14
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
That one appears to be a 170B Briggs fordor sedan. .
Yes, It may be a 170B Briggs Deluxe Blind Back (cowl lights, rear seat arm rests, oval dome light over the rear window).

Last edited by Ruth; 08-21-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
Redbird

What does the 62 Chevy look like? Is it a 2 door? My mom bought her first new car which was a 62 Chevy.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #16
DAMAutoRestorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
What does the 62 Chevy look like? Is it a 2 door? My mom bought her first new car which was a 62 Chevy.
It's a cream 2 door. Three on the tree. If I get some time I'll Try to get pictures of all of the cars, not sure if we're going to sell any of the others besides the Model A. But I do have a few frames and things for another Model A and I think a Model T.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
J Franklin

That is a nice car and not "dime a dozen"!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #18
77Birdman

Just my 2c, if you are def. going to sale the car, I would not go to the trouble or expense of anything other than pulling it out of storage. I dont think it will add any value and in the end will cost you money. Example, it is most likely a 10k -15k car. You should be able to get that price any day of the week. The next guy is going to at the very least do a once over, regardless if you spend another 1k on it or not. Let the next owner worry about that, sell 'as is'. Obviously you know your way around cars, not sure if you have searched classifieds yet but that will give you a good idea of what the asking price for these cars are. If it is an older restoration then that takes the value down a bit. If your guy is really motivated I would start about 17k and go from there.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #19
mhsprecher

The gas looks pretty rotten. That will take some effort on someone's part to get the gas tank cleaned out. Carb probably needs cleaning, too.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #20
ronn

the 10-12k range is spot on. the car isnt going to go higher in this mkt and optimism
is nice, but not necessarily real.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote