Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
doghair3

Default Tom Trautwein

Does anybody know anything about Tom Trautwein. He's into me for a bunch of money for a couple of 35 windshield frames and doesn't return a phone call. I have left him several messages on his cell phone all to no avail.
doghair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Tom Trautwein

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghair3 View Post
Does anybody know anything about Tom Trautwein. He's into me for a bunch of money for a couple of 35 windshield frames and doesn't return a phone call. I have left him several messages on his cell phone all to no avail.
You guys are correct. I must apologize.

Last edited by Kube; 05-06-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
Karl Wescott

I would not be so quick to judge him, he has been around (not answering the phone) for a lot of years but this is the first I have heard of parts not being delivered with him owing money.

OP, you might try good old fashioned snail mail...
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Well, from what you tell us, I know something about him... he's low life.
Proves a point for me....↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
I would not be so quick to judge him, he has been around (not answering the phone) for a lot of years but this is the first I have heard of parts not being delivered with him owing money.
"I would not be so quick to judge him." Right on, Karl!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 05-11-2021 at 03:47 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:51 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

I know Walter was an honest person, don't know a lot about his son. I used to talk with them at Hershey each year as they had a lot of old Ford parts as well as items they made. Everyone I know that works on cars is waiting for something due to manufacturing delays, parts delay and backordered supplies. Not an excuse for non communications though.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:09 AM   #6
Terry,OH

I too would not be so quick to judge. He is slow to answer the phone but make the call early EST about 8:00AM
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #7
35fordtn

Walter was one of the finest people I have ever dealt with.. I have never dealt with his son..

Sounds like a typical small business issue, employees are hard to find and every second spent on the phone is more time lost getting caught up on actual work.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
Bored&Stroked

Everybody is busy, everybody is behind schedule . . . and ALL of our time is valuable. Time is the one thing that none of us can create and the one thing that we never have enough of.

While one can't expect somebody to answer the phone whenever we call, I do expect folks to communicate, give me a status update, etc..

This is especially true if I have a customer's money. It isn't that hard - takes a brief eMail or even a short text message. It is common courtesy and being a professional in my mind . . .

When one doesn't communicate, you leave it up to the other person to come up with explanations - and they are usually not positive ones.

Enough coffee for me today! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Everybody is busy, everybody is behind schedule . . . and ALL of our time is valuable. Time is the one thing that none of us can create and the one thing that we never have enough of.

While one can't expect somebody to answer the phone whenever we call, I do expect folks to communicate, give me a status update, etc..

This is especially true if I have a customer's money. It isn't that hard - takes a brief eMail or even a short text message. It is common courtesy and being a professional in my mind . . .

When one doesn't communicate, you leave it up to the other person to come up with explanations - and they are usually not positive ones.

Enough coffee for me today! LOL

You make a valid point, especially when money has been sent
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #10
doghair3

Since I started this thread I felt compelled to respond to the comments. My problem is I got only 1 response from Tom T after I purchased 2 frames from him back in September (?). He called to tell me that the ones he made for me got damaged but he would make two new ones for me. In all fairness he did offer to return the money but I said no because I had the impression it wouldn’t be two long. 4/5 months later no frames and no response to my phone calls. I have been trying to reach him ever since but no such luck.

Since this thread has been posted Tom T has called me and we had a good, friendly and respectful conversation. I am satisfied with the result. I got what I wanted — a conversation. if he would take an order from me again I would place another order.

I know Tom T and his Dad have a history with many of you on this site. I do respect that and I wish him the best.
doghair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:31 AM   #11
nickthebandit

Having known Tom, his father, Walt, and Walt junior before his passing I know they are stand up people. Tom may be a one man shop, and as someone else stated, when you take time to answer the telephone, that is time taken away from production, etc.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #12
TJ

Glad the issue was resolved in respectful way.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:55 PM   #13
Holeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Sounds like a typical small business issue, employees are hard to find and every second spent on the phone is more time lost getting caught up on actual work.

Amen
Old 05-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #14
Holeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj View Post
glad the issue was resolved in respectful way.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:21 PM   #15
Desoto291Hemi

Glad this worked out okay,,,,,sometimes,,,,all you have is your reputation and good name .
Sounds like the guy was a stand up guy after all,,,,,just like some had said ,,,,a good name goes a long way in my book .

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote