Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Jerry Huntngton Beach

Default Wanted: Body Man

Would like to locate a good "body man" to iron out my '29 front and rear fenders. Preferably in southern California, Orange County area. Appreciate any leads. Thanx

Jerry Hurt
714 848 7167
[email protected]
Jerry Huntngton Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Wanted: Body Man

To stimulate some activity for you on this thread, ...how nice do you want them? Filler free, --or "a little filler here & there"?

Also, any needed patches or bead repairs??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
'29wagon

jerry,
i sent you a private message regarding that request.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
To stimulate some activity for you on this thread, ...how nice do you want them? Filler free, --or "a little filler here & there"?

Also, any needed patches or bead repairs??

Gosh could one seriously expect to even FIND, much less afford, a "filler free" fender repair man?
Certainly not someone able to restore the average original fenders we commonly find with bead breaks & farmer welds...not without some filler.
It think it's time for people to know & accept the simple facts...after you weld and repair a metal panel it's gonna have a certain amount of
A) Lead
B) Body filler
C) or high solids primer...(spray-on body filler)

I realize this is getting off the track of the original posting as he's just asking for a bodyman at this point. Hopefully he'll find a suitable candidate, put the terms & anticipated costs to paper and stay in constant communication as the job progresses. Hidden costs WILL arise and one should agree beforehand how these hidden costs will be handled in order that everybody stays happy.
Also I would suggest the Model A owner fronts as little payment as possible, until the job is finished. This practice will offset the "burnout" most bodymen experience near the end of a long project...keep the carrot dangling...don't get trapped with a half finished car and a broke bodyman who owes you work but has a "better" job in the next bay.
I've watched many a restoration/messtoration end in grief & lost friendships
...all unneccessary with some firm ground rules and that dangling carrot
Best of luck
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
Tom Endy

I recommend you check out Riteway Auto Paint & Body in Fountain Valley, CA. I recently had a car repainted by them and was very pleased with the work they did and the price. The owner, Max Kusnetz, took me on a tour of his shop and I was surprised at the number of vintage cars being worked on. I would certainly take my Model A there for body and paint work.

17395 Mt. Herrmann St.
Fountain valley, CA
714-434-6060
www.ritewayautopaint.com

Ask to speak with Max.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
Gosh could one seriously expect to even FIND, much less afford, a "filler free" fender repair man?
Certainly not someone able to restore the average original fenders we commonly find with bead breaks & farmer welds...not without some filler.
It think it's time for people to know & accept the simple facts...after you weld and repair a metal panel it's gonna have a certain amount of
A) Lead
B) Body filler
C) or high solids primer...(spray-on body filler)

I realize this is getting off the track of the original posting as he's just asking for a bodyman at this point. Hopefully he'll find a suitable candidate, put the terms & anticipated costs to paper and stay in constant communication as the job progresses. Hidden costs WILL arise and one should agree beforehand how these hidden costs will be handled in order that everybody stays happy.
Also I would suggest the Model A owner fronts as little payment as possible, until the job is finished. This practice will offset the "burnout" most bodymen experience near the end of a long project...keep the carrot dangling...don't get trapped with a half finished car and a broke bodyman who owes you work but has a "better" job in the next bay.
I've watched many a restoration/messtoration end in grief & lost friendships
...all unneccessary with some firm ground rules and that dangling carrot
Best of luck

Great advice Craig. Playing the Devil's Advocate, yes actually there are quite a few people that will pay for that level of quality. As far as NOS fenders, I know where several front fenders are right now. Maybe out of some folk's budget however they are still available for the individual that wants to step to the front of the line.

Also, just a few things about an owner who fronts little pay. A craftsman that is making a fair wage for his services will generally keep forward progress on his project. I personally have a 3 page Restoration Agreement (contract) that spells out in detail what both parties can expect, however several thoughts to ponder regarding not forwarding money. The craftsman has bills that need to be paid just like everyone else. Cash flow is all-important to him. Therefore let him set his schedule and then the customer needs to stay in contact checking progress. One other thing. Many shops have been burned by customers who bring a $200 fender in to be repaired & painted. The shop begins work and then ½ way through the project the customer now realizes he has $500 a piece in the fenders and then never returns. The shop now is stuck with unfinished fenders that won't even begin to sell for anywhere near the labor dollars that have been invested in them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Craig Lewis

Yes Brent, especially on lengthly jobs the shop needs adaquate cash flow, but I've seen far too many one-on one "deals"...those deals MANY restorers hope to find, usually made in a coffee shop with casual, feelgood, grins and chuckles...
where the job deteriorates into a desperate game of "what can I do to make them finish my car?"
Like I say it goes both ways and communication is SO important so there's no surprises and everyone stays happy.
Also I stand by the fact that the shop has possession of the car or part...and providing the bodyman has the experience to quickly read the extent of repairs, then settle on a time/price, a "little" backpay owing can be a wonderfull incentive and often benefits both parties in the end.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Gary Karr

Jerry,
Give a call to Mark Williamson in San Diego:
619 440-3031
He has worked on most of the top Henry Award Model A's here in California.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Jerry Huntngton Beach

Thanks to all for your time and information. Jerry
Jerry Huntngton Beach is offline   Reply With Quote