Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
A nubie

Default backfiring and not much power

Ok guys, got my brakes adjusted and was finally able to get out of the driveway with my new toy. It doesn't have a temp gauge but it seems to be getting hot very quickly. Maybe my imagination. it doesn't have any power and backfires a lot. The hotter it got the worse it got. Any advise.
A nubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: backfiring and not much power

Where is the spark lever set?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Kirby1374

check to see if your timing is not too retarded and that you carb adjustments are right. Idle mix and the gas valve that is also the choke rod. Also, you probably know this but you should pull the spark advance lever about half way down (more or less) after start up.
Kirby1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Kirby1374

oops Mike types faster.....
Kirby1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Patrick L.

Like said, the the left hand lever is the spark lever. It should full up for start and about 1/2 way down [ 9:00] once running. That is, if the ignition timing is set correctly. You may want to open the GAV [choke rod] a turn counter clockwise for starting and close to about 1/2 turn out as the engine warms for most running until you find out what works best. Try leaving the gas cap loose and see if that helps also. Try these and let us know what happens.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Richard Wilson

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Could be trash/rust in the gas tank clogging the fuel line causing the carb to lean out. Take gas line loose at the carb and see if you have good flow to carb. Only takes about 4-5 minutes to check.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
A nubie

Ok as I am new to model A's the guy i bought it from told me to start with the spark lever all the way down. Hope that will not damage anything but i will start with spark lever up from now on. While on the drive i did try to move spark lever up but power decreased. about 8:00 was as good as it got. I have always dealt with diesel engines and do not know much about timing. is there Anyone you could recommend to look at this in the San Antonio area.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
ctlikon0712

Sounds like you need to start with the basics first. Get/buy one of the copy owners manuals for your Model A (about $10) and use the search function at the top of this page. There is a wealth of infor that has been discused on here. It sounds like you should go through your timing and fuel before driving anymore.

Timing how to http://video.search.yahoo.com/search...nr=20&y=Search

good all around book http://www.amazon.com/Model-A-Ford-m.../dp/0965824004

owners manual http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...anual&_sacat=0

Last edited by ctlikon0712; 04-24-2013 at 02:40 PM.
ctlikon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
christian

like the guys before said, spark rod: all the way up is full retard, all the way down is full advance.

for starting, bring rod all the way up for full retard, once running bring the rod down some to get a smooth idle. usually about half way down. when cruising bring about 3/4 down or so. good luck. I second the idea of getting the original model a owners manual. there is a lot of info in there, pretty much everything you need to know on how to drive it. (probably why it was included with purchase of the car)
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
A nubie

Thank you all for your help. I will invest in owners manual. I really appreciate all of your time.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Until you buy your own here is on on line.

http://www.motormayhem.net/mode-a-fo...owners-manual/
Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
newshirt

And how do you know if your timing is set correctly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qudpRXZE3Yo
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
ctlikon0712

Did you watch all the videos? There is more than one.
The check is the pin in the gear and then the light indicating the points/cam relationship in the proper time for cyl. #1.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Mad Mac

After driving my Model A for more than 20 years I discover from this thread that I have been using the spark lever incorrectly all these years!! I start with it fully retarded (up) and then gradually advance it all the way down for highway driving. In one of the above threads someone says it should be about three quarters down for normal driving, so have I harmed my engine (eg loaded up the bearings) by driving fully advanced?

Also in post#9 Christian says it idles smoother about half way down but I am sure mine idles much smoother and slower when it is fully retarded.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
After driving my Model A for more than 20 years I discover from this thread that I have been using the spark lever incorrectly all these years!! I start with it fully retarded (up) and then gradually advance it all the way down for highway driving. In one of the above threads someone says it should be about three quarters down for normal driving, so have I harmed my engine (eg loaded up the bearings) by driving fully advanced?

Also in post#9 Christian says it idles smoother about half way down but I am sure mine idles much smoother and slower when it is fully retarded.
You might have harmed the bearings by driving with it fully advanced; it depends on how you were driving it (highway, parades, up hill, etc.).

It will idle much more slowly in the retarded position. Smooth running depends on a lot of other factors, like fuel mixture, timing, points, and such.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
ctlikon0712

This is what Henry told the new purchaser of the Model A's about driving and timing advance....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timing.JPG (45.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
jmeckel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
You might have harmed the bearings by driving with it fully advanced; it depends on how you were driving it (highway, parades, up hill, etc.).

It will idle much more slowly in the retarded position. Smooth running depends on a lot of other factors, like fuel mixture, timing, points, and such.
Were you run the spark advance has a lot to do with how the timing is set. If it is set exactly by the book, then you can follow the book for setting the spark advance as you drive as a guideline. You should be able to hear how the engine is running and set the advance for best operation, based on load and rpm's of motor. Once you understand what a good running sounds like your ear will tell you what position the advance should be in. Your GAV setting will also be part of the formula of a good running engine.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Jim Parker Toronto

If all of the above suggestions don't seem to help your no power and backfiring problem, you may want to check your head gasket..... a compression test will help to show this
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

From the information in the first post, it sure sounds like late timing. Set the timing by the book, and pull the lever down half way as soon as the engine starts. I then pull mine about 3/4 down while driving 30 to 45 MPH.

If you have a high compression head, they take less advance.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
robw

Backfiring and lack of power could also indicate a lean condition... which could result from carburation issues, or a vacuum leak around the intake...

start with fuel flow... if you have good fuel flow, check to see if it runs better with some choke... close the choke a bit and see if the backfiring stops. If the partially closed choke makes the backfiring stop, you are running lean...

If you are running lean, take a can of WD 40, or carb cleaner and being sure to use the straw that comes with it, run the engine and spray around where the intake manifold meets the head... spray from a variety of angles. Spray with small shots... if you suddenly hear a change in rpms you've found your vacuum leak. Also check where the carb mounts to the intake manifold using the same method. If you have the vacuum port for windshield wipers... check that too.

If you don't find any vacuum leaks you may have a plugged metering jet in your carb, or your float level may be too low.

Rob
robw is offline   Reply With Quote