Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Bob Johnson

Default Matching original paint colors & Paint Codes

One of the problems with matching the original paint colors is that the paint systems available are always changing. Ford used nitrocellulose lacquer when the vehicles were painted at the factory. The original tints for that paint are no longer available. Through the years the paint codes have been translated from one paint system to another. Each time the codes are translated the colors can become "off". A good example of this is the Chicle/Copra Drab color combination. The original Chicle/Copra colors are brown. I have seen many Mode As which have been painted with this color combination which have a definite green tint. The best way to get an accurate color is to have the paint supplier match paint chips that best represent the original colors. The MAFCA Paint & Finish Guide has the best representations of the original colors. There have been concerns about the size of the paint chips in that guide. MAFCA has been aware of this and has just come out with version 4 of the Paint & Finish Guide. All of the technical information, color charts and pictures have been updated to reflect the current best information available. Many of the pictures are now in color. The size of the paint chips have been increased dramatically. There are now just 4 color chips per page. Each chip is over 7" X 2.5" in size. The chips were produced using a modern printing process. Each chip color was compared to original Ford paint chips and/or original painted parts. If the color did not match it was adjusted and new test chips were produced. The process was repeated until the chip color matched the original color. It took over a year to revise the guide. If you want to get the best color match get the new Paint & Finish Guide and have your paint supplier match the chips in the guide. It is available on the MAFCA web site. https://www.mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=129 Yes this is an ad for the guide. (Disclaimer) I am on the Judging Standards Committee which did the revision.

Below is a picture which shows the old style paint chips on the left and the new larger paint chips on the right.

Bob Johnson
MAFCA JSC Member

Last edited by Bob Johnson; 12-24-2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add info
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
Ruth

Default Re: Matching original paint colors & Paint Codes

Bob, very nice. Thank you for your efforts.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
brito36

I recently purchased a copy of the Revised Edition and was very satisfied with the colors and the increased size of the chips. With the increased chip size, a paint supplier can now read the chip with the scanner. Good Job MAFCA.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
Flathead

Thank you Bob! The information you shared here really clarifies any questions I had about the new book, I will definitely get one after learning what has gone into it. I have a copy of the previous one but the new color chips sound good. Merry Christmas to you!
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote