Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Babyboomerboy

Default 1956 Ford windshield wipers

My windshield wipers in my 1956 Ford Fairlane don't work. Can someone give me some advice on where to start checking the system to find the problem? Thanks
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
frank long island

Default Re: 1956 Ford windshield wipers

what isn't it doing does it make any noise
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
dmsfrr

I guess the first thing to find out for sure is if it has a wiper motor and if it's vacuum operated or electric.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

Assuming the car has the original vacuum operated wiper motor; I would first look under the dash to see if the vacuum hose is connected to the motor. If so, trace the hose thru the firewall and see if it is disconnected under the hood.
Check condition of all rubber hoses for cracks or expansion at the connection points and replace any as needed.
Could be that the motor itself is dry. I have successfully removed, dismantled, re-lubed and re-installed vacuum motors in the past where they miraculously operated again for a few years, but that is iffy. They can be rebuilt by some of our more popular repro parts suppliers if you can spare the expense.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
delco1946

I have a 1955 crown Victoria, and I removed my vacuum operated motor disassembled it cleaned it, applied white lithium grease, and reassembled it. The only complaint I have is that in the winter time or during cold weather the dash has to warm up a little bit for the wipers to operate normally. If you have good hearing you should definitely be able to hear The vacuum when you turn the knob all the way closed. I would recommend a thin lubricant such as white lithium grease or thinner, but maybe not so Thin ad to worry about it getting sucked into the vacuum hose. But maybe that’s an unrealistic risk.I also think I read someone using automatic transmission fluid but my mechanic says that is pretty aggressive to adhesive’s and I would assume many materials so I don’t think I would use something like that.
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:23 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1956 Ford windshield wipers

You should consider having a Shop Manual.

First you establish the strength of manifold vacuum and if the vacuum signal is reaching the wiper motor. This also includes testing the vacuum signal from a two-stage fuel pump if so equipped.

-Improving Windshield Wiper Function

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #7
bfdinardo

I would also check out this thread to ensure your vacuum hoses are hooked up correctly. As others have said, ensure proper vacuum at the manifold.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ghlight=vacuum

I removed the wiper motor and manually moved the arms to suck in a thin oil and lubricate/moisten the seals inside of the motor and let it sit overnight. Drain it and then put it back on the car and now my wipers work properly. Some have used brake fluid for this "trick" but I didn't want to risk DOT fluid dripping inside of my interior.
bfdinardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
56sedandelivery

One of the reasons I went electric. I know now correct but the car is no where correct anyway.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
54vicky

if you do not have a manual as suggested they are a must have for problems like this.there is a member here that sells a CD manual this is the one with over a thousand pages with added other info.you should check with him for the price you will not find a better buy.he goes by hot rod reverend {Dan} he also has build post going on here I think
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by delco1946 View Post
I applied white lithium grease, and reassembled it. The only complaint I have is that in the winter time or during cold weather the dash has to warm up a little bit for the wipers to operate normally.

My first thought was to use lithium grease, but the viscosity of that stuff is like joint compound (for wallboard). I had a concern that lithium grease would actually deter the flapper from moving, especially in cold weather.
I wound up using bearing grease as it seems to be more similar to the viscosity of the stuff that was originally there, but maybe a little thinner.
I also oiled the shaft/bearing with 3-in-one oil. That is the one that is in my car now and it does work fine still after all these years.
I call this an iffy project, because the wrong type of grease, the wrong amount of grease and a myriad of other things could mean failure of the motor to work properly. Ya just gotta play with it.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
delco1946

@daves55sedan: now you tell me ��. The “motor” is very user friendly in my opinion, the hardest part is simply removing/installing it. I would definitely recommend a thin oil on the sliding parts at the top of the unit that are controlled/ moved by the dash knob.
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #12
paul2748

If you have vacuum to the wiper and the hoses are in good shape you can try lubing the inside as follows (best to have a helper)

Put some dot 3 regular brake fluid (some use MMO or trans fluid) in a small break proof container (food tin can). In the engine compartment, locate the vacuum hose going to the wiper motor.
Put rags on the floor inside the car under the wiper motor. Take the can of fluid, insert the vacuum hose and manually cycle the wipers ten or so times (one person on each wiper).
This should draw the fluid into the wiper motor. Let sit overnight. Try it the next day. Car may smoke on start up because some of the fluid is drawn into the engine. It will go away. If wipers show improvement but not the best, try one more time. If that does not cure your problem, a rebuild may be necessary.
This has worked for a few friends of mine. Just be careful with the brake fluid
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:28 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ; 06 APR 2018 POST #6

You should consider having a Shop Manual.

First you establish the strength of manifold vacuum and if the vacuum signal is reaching the wiper motor. This also includes testing the vacuum signal from a two-stage fuel pump if so equipped.

-Improving Windshield Wiper Function-
From Above Referring URL-

Quote:
A Frequently Asked Question: How do I improve the function of my original Thunderbird windshield wipers?

Answer:

The most probable cause for Thunderbird windshield wipers not working properly is because they are not used regularly. After years of very little use the seals have dried out causing the wiper motor to be sluggish. The internal wiper motor seals need to be cleaned and lubricated. The procedure to do this is as follows

• Connect a clear bottle containing Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid to the inlet tube on the wiper motor located under the dash. I use a plastic bottle with a hole punched in the lid and a rubber vacuum hose that fits snugly on the wiper inlet tube. The wiper inlet tube is located on the side of the motor facing the radio.
  • Turn on the wipers, run the engine at idle, turn the wipers and the vacuum should suck the fluid into the wiper motor.
  • Then work the wipers by hand until they work on their own. The brake fluid will soften the dried leather seals in the motor.
  • Make sure the vacuum hose is always below the level of the fluid. Also, to prevent blade drag on the dry windshield, squirt soapy water on the windshield, this will provide lubrication for the blades.
  • It usually takes about a pint of brake fluid to complete the process. It’s a good idea to have an old rag or towel on the floor under the inlet to catch any drips once the fluid hose is removed.
  • Run the wipers several minutes after the fluid hose is disconnected to remove excess fluid from the wiper motor. There will be some white smoke from the exhaust as the fluid is sucked into the engine. It will not hurt the engine and will clear up soon after all the fluid is purged from the system.
  • Also, check to make sure that the vacuum source lines are connected correctly to the engine.

If this procedure fails to rectify the problem, the wiper motor must be removed and repaired or replaced.

For description and detailed photos see the article titled Windshield Wiper Vacuum Source under the “Body/Suspension/Steering” section.
-CLICK HERE- Windshield Wiper Vacuum Source -CLICK HERE-

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-07-2018 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #14
Babyboomerboy

OK, here are the results of trying to get my windshield wipers to work. First I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. When I started I had no wiper movement at all. I removed the vacuum hose from the fuel pump and inserted it into a jar of brake fluid. Turned the wiper knob to the on position and manually moved to wipers back and forth 10 or twelve times. All I saw was bubbles going into the jar. It didn’t look like fluid was being sucked into the hose and up into the wiper motor. But since I wasn’t sure I just let it set for a day anyway. The next day I reconnected the hose to the fuel pump, turned off the wipers and started the car. When I turned the wipers on, nothing happened and I didn’t have any smoke coming out the exhaust. This led me to believe that the brake fluid never made it to the motor. So, I started over. This time I took one of my older BBQ injection syringes filled it with brake fluid and forced the brake fluid into the hose and up into the motor. I left this for another day and then tried it again. When I turned the wiper motor on the wipers moved up the windshield about one third of the way and stopped. That was all I could get it to do. I am not sure if the brake fluid helped or just moving the wiper blades back and forth was the reason they worked a little. I might try this again and see if it shows any improvement before I decide if I want to rebuild the motor or get an electric motor. Anyway, thanks again for the help, you guys are very knowledgeable and I really appreciate you taking your time to help me.
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #15
KULTULZ

-Windshield Wiper Vacuum Source- CLICK HERE

Quote:
4. After the rubber hose passes through the firewall under the dash it is connected to the top of the wiper motor port that points to the passenger side. The bottom port on the motor is an open vent and not a connection. A "T" fitting is installed in the hose which supplies vacuum to the heater vacuum control valve inside the metal heater chamber.

I would try the intake manifold source first. The pump valve/diaphram may be stuck/frozen. Do you have a vacuum gauge (about $10 )

The brake fluid container is hooked to the vent (bottom port) and drawn into the motor by engine vacuum. After working the wipers manually while drawing fluid, let it set for a few hours so the leather diaphram can swell. Then try it.

These tips are for a BIRD but your FORD should be basically the same.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 04-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #16
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
..... I would try the intake manifold source first. The pump valve/diaphram may be stuck/frozen. Do you have a vacuum gauge (about $10 )
Yes, check for vacuum at the intake manifold source, it should be there.
If the hoses on the booster (top of the fuel pump) aren't connected correctly or the internal diaphragm is ruptured you won't get vacuum at the wiper motor.

Here's a labeled photo of a fuel pump from my '55. I'll assume other pumps have their in/out connections in the same place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel pump wiper fitting, copy.jpg (60.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-11-2018 at 01:33 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #17
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 1956 Ford windshield wipers

Here is another good (excellent) suggestion from another forum...

Quote:
oldcarmark

Possibly another problem You may have is the wiper Pivots may be seized up from non use where the arms mount. You can disconnect them under the Dash where they hook onto the Motor Arm. Then you can run the Wiper Motor and see if that makes any difference as far as the motor working correctly. If that helps then You can try dripping some Penetrating or similar oil down the Pivots to free them up
SOURCE- http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic136157.aspx

- WHY IS IT ... -