Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
Bullshark

Default 1935 Ford coupe heater

Can someone educate me on what original heater my 1935 ford 5 window coupe was equipped with? The previous owner removed it for another car he was restoring. I would like to find a replacement, however I am clueless on what to look for. the pics below show where it was originally mounted. I see no evidence of ducting through the firewall.

Bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: 1935 Ford coupe heater

The indentation on the firewall sound pad tells me the car had a hot water heater which is not original equipment on a '35 Ford. The orginal heaters were hot air heaters that ran off of the exhaust manifold via a lot of duct work.
My '36 coupe, of which I am the second owner, having owned the car since 1952, has a '39/40 Ford hot water heater. Pix attached.
There are several styles of hot water heaters that were very common in the 1930's/40's, most of them are to large for the '30 model Fords.
In 1941 Ford started to offer hot water heaters as a standard accessory, they were generally mounted in the center portion of the firewall. Many people think that the center mounting is correct for EFV8's.. I tend to think that the passenger side of the firewall is a better location. I would assume that the heater in my car was installed by the dealer, therefore they mounted the heater per some kind of a factory directive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henry.3.jpg (68.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120126_154130.jpg (58.5 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg henry,eng..jpg (70.8 KB, 215 views)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
Bullshark

Interesting, Thanks for the input blucar!
I find no evidence of a hot water tap. My 35 aluminum heads have the water pump mount on the front of each head unlike what you show on your car. Not interested in cutting up the firewall to accommodate the original hot air ducting.
Was there different styles of heaters and how did they port the hot coolant back in the day?
Old 01-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
corvette8n

https://shop.efv8.org/collections/fo...book-softbound

If you don't have the above book you should get it, I believe it has a section on heaters.
My Dads 36 had the gasoline powered heater, he said it would cook you out.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
My Dads 36 had the gasoline powered heater, he said it would cook you out.
I like the Southwind heaters.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
Bullshark

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yes, I have that book. However I don't recall any detail on heaters. Ill take another look.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshark View Post
Interesting, Thanks for the input blucar!
I find no evidence of a hot water tap. My 35 aluminum heads have the water pump mount on the front of each head unlike what you show on your car. Not interested in cutting up the firewall to accommodate the original hot air ducting.
Was there different styles of heaters and how did they port the hot coolant back in the day?
You should be able to find a aftermarket heater like my Arvin.. the backside (area pressed against the firewall) will have two threaded pipes that will hold the heater in place; inside of those pipes will be the heater core pipes (a mini radiator).. easy, simple set up to connect heater hoses to your head & radiator hose.. Photos show examples of the rebuild I did to the heater in my 1947. It was real easy to do!

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshark View Post
Can someone educate me on what original heater my 1935 ford 5 window coupe was equipped with? The previous owner removed it for another car he was restoring. I would like to find a replacement, however I am clueless on what to look for. the pics below show where it was originally mounted. I see no evidence of ducting through the firewall.

Your car was not equipped with an original heater as others have eluded to. Only a hot air heater was available for your '35. They are fairly rare these days.
If authenticity is not actually a concern of yours, I'd suggest you search eBay for a hot water heater, Ford, 1942 - 1948. They will have an era correct appearance and those years are so common, it won't break the proverbial bank acquiring one.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #9
Kerk

Did you get the36 water pump you were looking for. Have what you were looking for I believe. Kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
blucar

The original engine in my '36 had the water-pumps on the front of the head. The left pump had a port in it for the temp sender, the right pump had a port for the heater hot water attachment. The right hand hose for the heater was connect to a fitting that was in the right-hand lower radiator hose.
The '39-40 heaters are quite small, therefore they fit very nicely on the right side of the firewall. Most of the '41 and later style of heaters, Arvin, etc are to large for a '35-40 car/truck.

I know many street rodders that use heaters out of the earlier Japanese Couriers, Toyota's, etc., pickups. The problem with the later model heaters is they are 12v.

I have a friend that gathers up old heaters, he guts them out using the case to conceal a modern radio. The doors closed, no radio, doors open, radio.. Pretty slick.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #11
cas3

if you are a swap meet kinda guy, there are usually lots of heaters around. trouble is the many brands all have they're own mount and water hole pattern where they go the fire wall. you should make a paper template to shop ebay and swap meets, might get lucky and be able to identify the model that came out of there. or, you could make it like most of the wrecks i bring home that have holes all over the place from several different brands, usually made with a chisel!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #12
drolston

The all original '35 coupe I bought for $95 when I was 16 had an excellent Southwind heater, mounted on the right side. It may have been a dealer install. Look on your firewall inside and in the engine compartment for knock-outs for mounting holes.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
blucar

The early cars do not have knock-outs in the firewall, however, in some entrances there is a slight dimple where a hole could be drilled for an accessory.. I believe the radio receiver box was one of those dimples.
Many of the comments in this thread have failed to mention that the pre-40 cars have floor shifts, therefore the location of the heater should be on the passenger side in lieu of the center where it will conflict with the gear shift.
The comments in my first posting to this topic (#2 ) made mention about the '39-40 heater in my '36 coupe. As I have stated, I believe the indentations/holes in the firewall insulation are very similar to the mounting in my car.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:30 PM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
The early cars do not have knock-outs in the firewall, however, in some entrances there is a slight dimple where a hole could be drilled for an accessory.. I believe the radio receiver box was one of those dimples.
Many of the comments in this thread have failed to mention that the pre-40 cars have floor shifts, therefore the location of the heater should be on the passenger side in lieu of the center where it will conflict with the gear shift.
The comments in my first posting to this topic (#2 ) made mention about the '39-40 heater in my '36 coupe. As I have stated, I believe the indentations/holes in the firewall insulation are very similar to the mounting in my car.
Well, at least in 1939, when Ford did authorize a hot water heater it was placed darn near center with no interference issues with the shift lever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4842.jpg (66.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 01-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #15
Kube

[QUOTE=blucar;1721650]The original engine in my '36 had the water-pumps on the front of the head. The left pump had a port in it for the temp sender, the right pump had a port for the heater hot water attachment. The right hand hose for the heater was connect to a fitting that was in the right-hand lower radiator hose.

That port on the right pump was NOT for a heater nipple nor valve. That was a later service replacement pump that was mean to to be fitted to either the left or right side of the engine. When fitted on the right side, a plug was installed in that threaded boss.
While I suppose a guy could install a nipple for a heater hose there, that was, to reiterate, not the intended reasoning for that outlet.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:42 PM   #16
Bullshark

Thanks for the education and wealth of information. Even though the car is very close to original, I'm not motivated to pursue the original hot air configuration with all the duct work and firewall mods that would go a long with it. As suggested I'll keep my eye out for the 39+ hot water heater that was Installed previously. In the meantime I'll keep it stored until warmer weather.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #17
TJ

Making a template of the holes in your firewall is good advice when looking for another heater. When the other heater was removed is there some chance there's a photo available of the car with the heater still in it? if there is a photo it would help identify the heater.
I have an original '40 Ford hot water heater and the mounting bolt configuration and water inlet configuration is no where near matching the holes in your firewall. You can take the '40 Ford heater off your list.

Last edited by TJ; 02-01-2019 at 08:09 PM.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #18
FritzJr

The small holes and mounting pattern shown in your original photo certainly looks like there was a Southwind gasoline heater mounter there. Restored heaters and mounting parts are still available from several vendors.
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #19
Gary in La.

I don't think so. The big and little holes for the Southwind are orientated vertical not horizontal as these are
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #20
40ford

You can still purchase reconditioned South Wind gas heaters if you want to go that way.

http://southwindheater.com/Products.html
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote