Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
grumppyoldman

Default Speedometer cable nylon drive tip

My 41 Deluxe has a nylon tip on the upper end of the cable that goes into the speedometer. It's about 1" long, the back end is round and should be square to fit on cable. Is there a source for this part? Can the cable be removed from the top end or do you have to take both ends loose. Looks like it had been repaired before, and the repair has come loose. Would like to purchase a new one if possible or a good used one if someone has an extra. Thanks Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Speedometer cable nylon drive tip

New cables are available through most V-8 parts dealers. Periodically you can find new cable cores on e-Bay or at swap meets, etc. You need to know the core length before you buy. It would be best just to buy a new cable, they are not difficult to install.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
grumppyoldman

Thanks TJ, I just tried to pull the drive cable out of the shield and it won't budge. I guess I'll have to pull both ends and replace complete unit. You know how it is, I've been under there so much I was hoping for an easier way. Al
Old 06-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The core usually comes out at the speedometer end. The universal cable cores come in a length longer than a lot of applications need but it can be trimmed on the round end then the drive adapter tip is swaged with the supplied tool. Just make sure you get a kit with the drive adapter that fits your speedometer.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
grumppyoldman

I've found a replacement one that has the housing and cable together, I'm going to call them tomorrow to make sure the cable has the right drive tip. The nylon piece that fits on the cable end. Al
Old 06-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
Lawson Cox

I've learned over the years to replace the cable and housing both. Housinga usually the problem anyhow. My 2¢.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
rotorwrench

The modern teleflex cable drives are generally a wire wound casing with a plastic cover on the outside and sometimes they even have a teflon sleeve on the inside. The older ones used a segmented steel armored flex casing and no teflon inside. Some had an outer plastic covering and some didn't. My old 1951 Mercury cars only use nylon for the gear on the driven gear shaft part that goes in the transmission and just a squared off end on the core where it fits into the speedometer shaft. I don't recall seeing any with a nylon end but then I don't have a 1941 Ford either.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
grumppyoldman

I just got the cable out, bottom end was broken 8" from where it screws onto turtle housing. I was able to pull the top portion out with needle nose pliers. I looked where the cable housing goes through firewall, there is already the emergency brake cable there, not room enough to get the spedo cable nut through. The total length of the cable is 68 1/2" plus the nylon adapter length 3/4" for a total of 69 1/4". The nylon adapter is rounded out should be a square hole, I'm thinking. Don't know what purpose it serves, unless it is a bearing for the spedo. I'll be checking the internet for parts. Al
Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
5851a

Bought a universal inner cable way back when and it came with the nylon end. You were supposed to cut cable to the correct length heat the end of the cable with propane torch and push it in to the nylon tip. Then let it cool.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:18 PM   #10
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The core usually comes out at the speedometer end. The universal cable cores come in a length longer than a lot of applications need but it can be trimmed on the round end then the drive adapter tip is swaged with the supplied tool. Just make sure you get a kit with the drive adapter that fits your speedometer.
I have used the auto parts store cores. I always had trouble swaging the end on straight. If a bit off the speedo can oscillate. Now I epoxy the end on. So far has lasted years.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
grumppyoldman

Just ordered one from C&G no nylon tip on it, they haven't heard of it. Got a tube of lube also. Hope I can get the nut thru the grommet in fire wall, may have to use some KY jelly. The cable is 72" long, steel like old one (btw) the square ends are .101" if any one cares. Thanks Guy's Al
Old 06-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
Just ordered one from C&G no nylon tip on it, they haven't heard of it. Got a tube of lube also. Hope I can get the nut thru the grommet in fire wall, may have to use some KY jelly. The cable is 72" long, steel like old one (btw) the square ends are .101" if any one cares. Thanks Guy's Al
The grommet should be split on each end to go around the e-brake and speedo cables. Remove the grommet, install the cable and put the grommet around the cables and back into the hole.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
grumppyoldman

I got the grommet out, there is still not enough room to get the nut thtrough the hole. I found I could remove the nut fitting that goes into spedo. and cable cam out without the nut on it. Hoping that will be the case with new one, it just screwed off like a thread would.Al