Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
moonshine runner

Default VIN Number Location

Ok,

So here's my first question, hoping someone can help me. Not sure about most states, but when you purchase a car from out of state and bring it here, you have to go to a state licensed inspector and get what is called an OD/ID, which simply means the inspector looks at the VIN or serial # on the title and matches it to the car.

I need to have this done so I can tag my car.

So, does anyone know where the VIN or serial number is on a 47 Ford SD?
moonshine runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
4dFord/SC

Default Re: VIN Number Location

It's stamped on top of the left (driver) side frame rail in the vicinity of the front cross-member. They can be hard to find under decades of accumulated dirt, grease, and rust.
See the following link for more information: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Ross6860

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
It's stamped on top of the left (driver) side frame rail in the vicinity of the front cross-member. They can be hard to find under decades of accumulated dirt, grease, and rust.
See the following link for more information: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm
Always, always check the VIN. Not only make sure it matches the title and registration, but that it's the right VIN for the car (if you can find the correct info on what it "should" be).

I just went through the ordeal of getting a VIN corrected for my '36. The number was botched years ago (at least three title changes, multiple states, too). I caught it before I bought the car. Took three weeks, and I think we were very, very lucky. Ohio can be tough on bad titles (like taking your car tough).
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
19Fordy

If the car still has the original transmssion the serial number is also located on the top of the transmission bellhousing right above the inspection plate.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Joe Immler

Ross I had the exact same problem you had. My '41 Ford had the wrong serial number and was registered as such with the guy I bought it from in Ca. Moved to New Hampshire and title renewed OK because no one looked. Moved to OHIO and they want to actually see the number. I wire brushed the frame area and OMG the number was wrong. Had to take the car to a State Patrol inspection garage 45 Mi. away. They affirmed the number and gave me a correction form.Then the local DMV issued plates. All OK now
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
barnfind

Many states titled cars by the Engine serial # - not the frame serial number before VIN # standards were developed.
Some body shop paint guys will do a real good finish sand job with 36 grit sandpaper before painting a frame so it can be practically impossible to find the #.

There's a thread on the HAMB about raising the serial # on a rusty frame with chemicals and electrical current but haven't tried it yet.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind View Post
...There's a thread on the HAMB about raising the serial # on a rusty frame with chemicals and electrical current but haven't tried it yet.
If interested in this process, you might also check on the subject of law enforcement restoring firearm serial numbers after they've been ground off.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
moonshine runner

Thanks to everyone for sharing their advice. I found the VIN # tonight! It is located between the radiator support and first cross member, and the number matches the title, so I won't have any issue with the OD/ID and then I can get it tagged!

Thanks!
moonshine runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #9
Mart

Good result!

Welcome to the Barn, lots of helpful people here. Any questions you have, just ask away!

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
fortyfords

Always glad to have another Missourian on the Ford Barn. Don't ever be afraid to ask any thing.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote