Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default '40 rear brake question: How snug should the drums be on the shoes?

OK, about to finish up the brakes on my '32 chassis. Front brakes were NOS '42-'48 drums & hubs with '40 backing plates. They were not turned and measured exactly @ 12".

Front installation was a breeze and they turn nicely. All four backing plates have both adjusters set at the starting point according to service manual and Rumbleseat's tips.

Rears brakes are a combination of Bolling Bros. drums on stock '40 hubs. These drums also measured 12" with a drum mic.

Left drum went on without having to sand the shoes but it turns with much more resistance than either front brake does. The left will not free wheel, but the both fronts will.

Right rear drum is super tight. At first, the drum would not slide on. I've been sanding the shoes (original style, riveted to original cores) at the high spots that I can see, but it is slow going.

Question: Once installed, how much drag should new drums have? I like that the shoes are close, but I also don't know what is considered normal drag that will "break in" after an initial drive or are just set too tight and there needs to be more clearance.

If it helps, I am not turned them with a tire on. I am just grabbing the drum and turning it.

Thanks all for any tips or suggestions.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 07-11-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote