Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2020, 09:39 PM   #1
M2M

Question What is driving an A on snow/ice like? Can you add studs to A tyres?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
Brian SATX

Default Re: What is driving an A on snow/ice like? Can you add studs to A tyres?

I drove mine in high school in snow and ice in Oregon. About like any other car, think ahead.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
McMimmcs

Default Re: What is driving an A on snow/ice like? Can you add studs to A tyres?

A little treacherous To say the least especially stopping and you can’t add studs.!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 PM   #4
Aok

It's harder to stop and you have to worry about someone sliding into you ,that's why I moved to Texas.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:20 AM   #5
Oldbluoval

They go well in snow due to gearing
Little does well in ice
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:31 AM   #6
David R.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Tire chains. Period correct also.

Last edited by David R.; 08-13-2020 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Forgot something
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:15 AM   #7
David R.

I haven’t driven one yet on snow and ice but imagine they would do well. Low power vehicles typically are more sure footed in those conditions because they don’t tend to break traction as easily as high power vehicles. The old 4 cylinder IHC Scout would outperform the Chevy V8 Blazer of the day in deep snow hands down. Dad had a 4 cylinder Ranger 2wd pickup that the tractor trailers would pass on hills but you couldn’t stop it in snow.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
WHN

1963 winter in Connecticut was the last time I drove a Model A in the snow.

I don’t remember ever having a problem getting around. Things were a lot different back than. Sand on roads not salt, less traffic, no awd’s or fwd’s, 4wd’s we’re all jeeps from WWII. Cars had chains and almost everyone used snow tires. Remember re-caps?

Life was slower.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #9
Big hammer

My daily driver 50 years ago, the reason I went through the steering box. Leaving school on ice turned a corner and I couldn't turn the wheel back fast enough, I ended up stuck against a curb. Well now many cars wondering when they could get around me, I put it reverse and then got out and pushed it away from the curb, jump back in and went home. In snow it was fun to be a trail blazer, when moderns would get out in deep snow !
Old 08-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

Most likely people in the U.S can not answer this. I'm 66 and barely remember studded tires as a kid. Here in the U.S I believe studs were outlawed in the 1960s due to their damaging roads.

Front wheel drive gives enough improvement when compared to rear wheel drive and most can suffer through the Winter OK. Some pay the extra for AWD or 4WD.

For really bad conditions trucks chain up, but as you probably know that is a pain since running at higher speeds with chains is a problem. I do not know if running chains when not necessary is legal here in the U.S.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 08-13-2020 at 10:52 AM.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #11
Curtis in MA

A lady here still uses studs on her car.
We used them into the 70's, just had to have them off by spring inspection.
Curtis in MA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #12
Kurt in NJ

With bald tires not very good, with chains go most anywhere
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

The last time I drove in the snow was in April, 1972, with the Tudor.We had a big late spring snowstorm. around 12 inches. I took it out before they salted the roads, and got along OK in the snow, until I stopped at a stop sign that was at a slight increase. Then I was stuck. If I hadn't stopped would have been fine.

The guy with me had to get out and push to get us going again
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
Brad in Germany

The 1929 Roadster, to the left in this photo in Sweden, looks like it is ready for the drive in the snow, with chains on both the front and back wheels. Looks like the Volvo on the right is equally equipped:

....and to see how these cars perform on snow, one of the best examples to study is the 1933 Swedish Grand Prix RÄMENLOPPET where several of the cars are Model A's or V8's. Here's the link to a YouTube video of that race to see for yourselves: https://youtu.be/DrGZge_5MkE

Brad in Maryland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orgvolvo38.jpg (56.3 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by Brad in Germany; 08-13-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

Thanks for posting.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #16
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
I haven’t driven one yet on snow and ice but imagine they would do well. Low power vehicles typically are more sure footed in those conditions because they don’t tend to break traction as easily as high power vehicles. The old 4 cylinder IHC Scout would outperform the Chevy V8 Blazer of the day in deep snow hands down. Dad had a 4 cylinder Ranger 2wd pickup that the tractor trailers would pass on hills but you couldn’t stop it in snow.
I read an account of someone with an early car that said it actually handled very well in the snow due to the narrow tires. I would imagine the lack of HP would help a bit as well.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #17
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Most likely people in the U.S can not answer this. I'm 66 and barely remember studded tires as a kid. Here in the U.S I believe studs were outlawed in the 1960s due to their damaging roads.

Front wheel drive gives enough improvement when compared to rear wheel drive and most can suffer through the Winter OK. Some pay the extra for AWD or 4WD.

For really bad conditions trucks chain up, but as you probably know that is a pain since running at higher speeds with chains is a problem. I do not know if running chains when not necessary is legal here in the U.S.
Im 56 and remember pop putting them on the cars in the winter. I believe they were ok in the winter but maybe outlawed after a certain date? Had to be taken off by April maybe? In 1980 I would put them on my pickup for the winter taking my 'fat' street tires off.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #18
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
Im 56 and remember pop putting them on the cars in the winter. I believe they were ok in the winter but maybe outlawed after a certain date? Had to be taken off by April maybe? In 1980 I would put them on my pickup for the winter taking my 'fat' street tires off.

We are both correct, depends on which state you live in. Here in Illinois/WI they are banned. In MD they are legal with restrictions.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...d-winter-tires
Scroll down and there is a map.

Maybe a couple of reasons in legal states is the expense of 2 sets of tires, and the bother of changing tires out 2 times a year.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #19
77Birdman

30ccpu, Sorry if I came off as confrontational, just an observation that a younger guy (56,lol) does know what they are. Having said all of that, it has been at least 30 years since I have seen them, In fact I dont think I have even seen a 'snow' tire in the last 30years. All season tires are the norm around here. Of course we dont get the snow that you do either.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #20
ursus

Does anybody remember walnut shell snow tires? Ground up walnut shells were mixed in with the rubber on the tread when the tires manufactured. We found some when cleaning out the garage back in the 1960's and my dad claimed they worked OK but wore out quickly on dry pavement.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote