Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
cvicky

Default y block oil pressure

at start up I have 40 driving when the car is warm 30 and at stop sign idling 20 is that normal i'm down about a quart also engine temp 160 F
thx
cvicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: y block oil pressure

Yup, mine runs 25 to 30 warmed up. Y's are not high pressure engines. What weight oil are you using?
Old 05-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #3
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvicky View Post
at start up I have 40 driving when the car is warm 30 and at stop sign idling 20 is that normal i'm down about a quart also engine temp 160 F
thx

You need a 180 deg. thermostat. Y blocks have a sludge build up problem, especially if mostly driven at slow speeds in city traffic. The 'road draft tube' system is not very efficient at low speeds so a 180 deg. thermostat helps the engine maintain operating temperature for less sludge formation. Your oil pressure is fine.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #4
fordor41

My '60 runs 55# cool and 45# warmed up with 95K miles.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
cvicky

10w30 multy grade I have oil lines going in valve covers also
cvicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
JimNNN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I agree about needing 180 degree thermostat. And gosh, put another quart of oil in.

To answer your specific question, those oil pressure readings don't seem bad, though they're maybe not optimum. Within the range of acceptable, but that's kind of a loosely defined range. As I understand it, oil pressure is secondary to how well - and thoroughly - the engine is being lubricated. Some higher readings can be caused by blockage in oil passages, which is far worse than low readings. Also, some early Y blocks had lubrication problems with the rocker arm shafts. Taking off the valve covers and seeing how well that part of the engine is doing is probably a good idea.

My '54 Ford with the non-rebuilt 239 has what I consider decent oil pressure for a 65 year old engine, and it reads (as I recall) just under 50 at start up idle, about 18-25 at hot idle depending on amb. temp., and I think about 35-38 at hot highway speed (2500 to 3000 rpm.)
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

The sending unit for the 'idiot light' turns it on at about 3 to 5 lbs. (some 7 to 8 lbs.) if I remember right.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:04 PM   #8
40 Deluxe

New NAPA unit turns light on anywhere from 3 to 8.3 lbs. so Ford apparently thinks this much is OK.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #9
54vicky

you can get senders that kick in at higher pressure.15 is what I used to use in race engines.as to the sludge that was a result of the older non detergent oils.the oiler kit is good insurance.with the oiler do not run too high a flow not needed adjust it with the valve.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #10
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvicky View Post
... I have oil lines going in valve covers also
A lack of oil to the rocker arms due to sludge buildup may not be helped by the oil passage at each head gasket.

The oil comes up from the center cam bearing in a 5/16" hole. (photo 1) At the head gasket the passage turns 90* into a shallow groove. (photo 2) Then another 90* turn up into a 1/4" hole thru the head to the rocker stand. (photo 3)

The groove in the underside of the head may be slightly shallow (1/8" ?) which could be a problem by itself (esp if the head has been re-surfaced) and if a composite head gasket swells into it, it is now even smaller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil hole, block.jpg (60.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg oil hole head, bottom.jpg (56.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg oil hole head, top.jpg (64.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-16-2020 at 02:09 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
New NAPA unit turns light on anywhere from 3 to 8.3 lbs. so Ford apparently thinks this much is OK.

Quote:
The sending unit for the 'idiot light' turns it on at about 3 to 5 lbs. (some 7 to 8 lbs.) if I remember right.
This is my impression, too, for idle pressures. As I recall, my near brand new S-10 Chevy had idle readings under 10 lb.s (I think) and I was worried and called the warranty center, and they said it was fine as long as the warning light didn't come on. I put 150k miles plus on the truck. When I had my '50 Plymouth flathead six several years ago, the manual said ANY indication on the gauge that there was even a trace of pressure at idle - even a couple of pounds - was acceptable. I don't think that's the Ford standard, but the oil requirements at idle weren't great.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #12
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

pressurizing your rocker arm assemblies will add 5-15 psi depending on what condition your oiling system/bearings are in.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdreams View Post
pressurizing your rocker arm assemblies will add 5-15 psi depending on what condition your oiling system/bearings are in.

"will ADD 5-15 psi..."?? Could this be a misprint? Piping oil from the main galley to the rocker shafts will actually cause a drop in pressure.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #14
Cholo

Im in the process of a rebuild 56 fairlane, 2 door, 312 Y block. Im new to this hobby.
barely put new gauges, just installed oil pressure gauge right in between fuel pump and oil breather..............So gauge has black for ground, red to acc on ignition and wire to sending unit.... is this correct..........or fuse box has to be involved? please advise and thanks.
Cholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #15
Dobie Gillis

Welcome to the forum! No fuse block unless somebody rewired the car with a modern harness. Ford didn't use fuse blocks back then. If this is an aftermarket gauge just wire it up per the instructions that came with it.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #16
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

"will ADD 5-15 psi..."?? Could this be a misprint? Piping oil from the main galley to the rocker shafts will actually cause a drop in pressure. "

No misprint. I always pressurize rocker assemblies on a Y Block. The spillover system from the factory is: 1) an oil leak directly to the oiling system, and, 2) does a lousy job of oiling the rocker arms, as evidenced by scored up shafts on just about every y block torn down for rebuild, because there is very little if any oil pressure in the rocker shaft.

You can argue modern oils vs '60s oil if you want, but I routinely get 30-35 psi oil pressure hot on any Y blocks I rebuild.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #17
40cpe

Quote:
"will ADD 5-15 psi..."?? Could this be a misprint? Piping oil from the main galley to the rocker shafts will actually cause a drop in pressure.
I'm not speaking for anyone, but I think there is a misunderstanding of terms. Pressurizing the rockers is done by closing off the overflow from the rocker arms. Oiling the rockers from the main galley involves external tubing and was usually done to correct insufficient flow to the rocker arms from the cam bearings/head passages.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:46 PM   #18
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I'm not speaking for anyone, but I think there is a misunderstanding of terms. Pressurizing the rockers is done by closing off the overflow from the rocker arms. Oiling the rockers from the main galley involves external tubing and was usually done to correct insufficient flow to the rocker arms from the cam bearings/head passages.
Okay, that would make sense.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #19
34pickup

Quote:

Last Y block I had idled at about 5lbs. But it never showed any problems. Y blocks are tough as tractor engines.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:14 AM   #20
56yblock

hello guys, i found on ebay one new old stock replacement kit for 2bb 2110 holley carburetor, i'll rebuild it with again, now i have big leaks with it
what do you think about it ? i post the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (47.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg (53.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by 56yblock; 06-06-2020 at 06:24 AM. Reason: it's wrong
56yblock is offline   Reply With Quote