Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Paper Fuel Filter Element in the Fuel Bowl! Edelbrock Carburetor fun...

I took a lot of pictures and video last evening, but suffice to say after pulling a fuel-fouled plug, not getting much response from idle mixture screws/idle set screw, and having no vacuum reading at all from the timed vacuum port, the carb had to be pulled and completely gone through.

Edelbrock 1404, 500 cfm, manual choke, been on the engine for about 10 years, but sat at different intervals. Running real good at cruise, but having issues with idle control.

The pictures I took will not load here on the server, so I will see if I can get a video together and link it here.

Suffice to say, after looking at the material under a magnifying glass, it was an exact visual match to the inline fuel filter paper element. This was a $7 or $8 filter I purchased at a local auto parts store several years back. Crazy stuff. I cut the filter housing open to find the paper separate from the metal end with all types of crud at the top, right where the line goes to the carb. Nice.

Beware.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
39deluxecp

Default Re: Paper Fuel Filter Element in the Fuel Bowl! Edelbrock Carburetor fun...

those inline universal filters are not my first choice. I use a fuel filter off a 1990"s Ford Taurus. it will fit the 5/16" hose and is a much better filter. itwill even stop water from entering the carb.
39deluxecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: Paper Fuel Filter Element in the Fuel Bowl! Edelbrock Carburetor fun...

ok here is a thread with photos...
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic145387.aspx
Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
Hot Rod Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39deluxecp View Post
those inline universal filters are not my first choice. I use a fuel filter off a 1990"s Ford Taurus. it will fit the 5/16" hose and is a much better filter. itwill even stop water from entering the carb.
do you have a part number?
Old 04-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
Hot Rod Reverend

https://vimeo.com/331281127
Old 04-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
50fordcoupeman

I have always used NAPA 3033 gas filters. They are for 3/8" gas lines. Never have had a problem with them failing.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #7
V8 Bob

Switching to serviceable fuel filters will eliminate any paper element problems. These are usually 3-peice aluminum bodies with SS cleanable filter elements, ranging from about 10 to 100 micron filtration. A little pricey but the last filters you will need to buy.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
Hot Rod Reverend

Bob, (and others)

I am going that route with the serviceable filter, and will also be looking for gas stations that sell ethanol-free fuel.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:50 AM   #9
50fordcoupeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post
Bob, (and others)

I am going that route with the serviceable filter, and will also be looking for gas stations that sell ethanol-free fuel.
I agree! I use only non ethanol in every thing that has a carb. No fuel related problems at all.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #10
CSPIDY

Pure-gas.org website listing gas stations with Ethanal free gas
CSPIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #11
Hot Rod Reverend

thanks!
Old 04-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Post Re: Paper Fuel Filter Element in the Fuel Bowl! Edelbrock Carburetor fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post

... after looking at the material under a magnifying glass, it was an exact visual match to the inline fuel filter paper element. This was a $7 or $8 filter

I purchased at a local auto parts store several years back. Crazy stuff. I cut the filter housing open to find the paper separate from the metal end with all types of crud at the top, right where the line goes to the carb.
A cellulose filter element is not meant to be used with alcohol or ethanol as it draws moisture from the atmosphere and deteriorates the cellulose. You also need a more frequent service replacement interval, especially with ethanol usage.

Your plug (#5) is carbon fouled indicating an overly rich fuel mixture and or weak spark.

The particulates you found in the filters (why two?), did you pass a magnate over them to see if there was any metal? It may be an indication of a bad fuel tank.

You say you have an electric pump also? Where is it located and is there a 100 micron pre-filter?
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote