Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
Russell Reay

Default 1930 windshield

In disassembling the windshield structure of my car, I have removed only the ws frame, swing arms, and hinge. Parts catalog describe a ws filler trim and pair of ws garnish. I don't find any such pieces, so I assume they were removed by a PO, and I need to buy new ones. Might this be correct ?? Also, on the bottom of the ws frame is a stamped metal tray/ flange 1 1/4" wide that does not appear in the catalogs. Is it likely that this comes attached to the new ws frame I will buy ? I am disappointed that these details do not appear in any of the three restoration manuals I have. I tried to attach pics, but the website won't let me. Pics are in my album
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: 1930 windshield

I did not deal with, or discuss replacement windshield frames in the YouTube series I did on replacing windshield glass.
See:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uW_RxKdCoxs
I would start by contacting the parts houses, they might be able to answer your questions.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #3
40-A Twins

Original front window garnish mouldings can be found on e-bay, and new reproductions are available from most online Model A parts suppliers. Always try to find and original part if possible.
At the lower edge of your windshield is an air deflector as shown in the attached diagram. I think it is just spotwelded to the frame. Is your original windshield frame repairable ? As far as I know the repro windshield frames are made from extruded aluminum and might not have the deflector. If you do decide to install a new alum frame minus the deflector, it will still blow air underneath the front dash rail like its supposed to. I had a real nice windshield frame for my 31 coupe, but it was missing the air deflector and holes for wiper motor. I finally identified it as a 1934 Ford pickup window frame, and it still looked and functioned correctly.
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg window diagram.jpg (53.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg original front garnish moulding.jpg (11.4 KB, 17 views)
40-A Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
Russell Reay

Kevin- thanks for the sketch of the air deflector. That is exactly what my tray /flange is. Mine is rusted beyond repair. I still don't understand where the garnish is attached--I presume it is on the inside, not the outside, and I will also assume it is a required piece not an option. As I continued the disassembly I found the WS filler trim attached to the gas tank. It, too is in terrible shape and must be replaced
Old 06-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #5
mercman from oz

Plenty of Ventilation with this set-up.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #6
Russell Reay

Kevin- thanks for the sketch of the air deflector. That is exactly what my tray /flange is. Mine is rusted beyond repair. I still don't understand where the garnish is attached--I presume it is on the inside, not the outside, and I will also assume it is a required piece not an option. As I continued the disassembly I found the WS filler trim attached to the gas tank. It, too is in terrible shape and must be replaced. Will watch Bob's glass replacement videos when the time comes. Fortunately my glass is in good shape.