Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
neds29

Default Thrust bearings from Boston Gear?

I'm in the process of rebuilding the front brakes of my '29 ccpu. I have the king pins out and the old roller type (yes roller) thrust bearings are probably not reusable. I still have an unused kit from my old roadster in 1971, and the ball- thrust bearings are actually marked Made in the USA, but don't have a manufacturer or number on them, so I'm leery about using them. Has anybody considered sourcing Boston Gear parts as in the following?

https://www.bostongear.com/-/media/F..._bearings.ashx

Update: The address above doesn't seem to work, but (I think) it's page 194 of the Boston gear catalog.

Thanks for any info,

Ned
'29 roadster- Owned for 21 years but now sold.
'28 CC pickup- My first car in Andover, MA back in '62- '63.

Last edited by neds29; 03-25-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: address info
neds29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Thrust bearings from Boston Gear?

When you approach the bearing page starting from bostongear.com, I come to the same issue with their web page. This looks like some kind of InternetVirus - isn't this the time?

I will venture an opinion though regarding bearings: there are few bearings made specifically in the US anymore. MOST onshore bearing providers now offer Chinese bearings made under their own name and to their own specification. This includes my fave Timken which above all other bearings I believe has held a standard.

This is not to run down Chinese production of certain items. Vince Falter of another board did time overseas and has had dealings with all sorts of Chinese ware. He will say and I will agree - you get what you pay for. If you want cheap - China will provide. If you want quality China will provide - for a price.

There is a lot of interest on the board on NOS (New Old Stock) of which your 1971 ball bearing kingpin bearings seem to apply. I'm not sure you could find better given today's market without engaging a name such as Timken.

I was part of the recent discussion on transmission roller/needle bearings. The discussion came to Hyatt bearings of which I am now pretty convinced were original in this Ford application. Seeing my own stock of these low, I took the opportunity to buy on Ebay a pair of cluster gear bearings which met my visual approval. They came and I have "receipt inspected" and verified yet another pair of Hyatts.

I have other non-Hyatt bearings for this application, probably acceptable too given Tom Endy's "white paper" explaining the design defect of certain modern bearings which these others do not show.

Roller versus ball may be your question: each has its strengths and weaknesses. Angular roller bearings tend to a theoretical defect to "pigeontoe" and get chipped on the edges of the rollers. Ball bearings don't suffer this defect but do suffer from "brinnelling" quicker than rollers given their unit contact pressure is greater.

I think given what you have and its "Made in USA" qualification, I would probably use those despite being ball bearings.

Joe K
Old 03-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
rotorwrench

On king pins in general throughout the years that Ford used them, I've seen pin sets come with steel and bronze plates substituted for ball bearings, small ball thrust bearings with a high count of balls, and large ball thrust bearings with a lesser bearing count. This stuff is all over the place in quality. I prefer the ones with the larger ball bearings like some of the later cars had. They seem to last better and can take side loads well when driving on uneven surfaces. I'm not sure about roller types since I haven't seen how they are designed. Tapered roller types might do better than flat types for side loading. Shielding from road muck has to be good on any deign used or they won't last long.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
Pete

Here are a couple things to ponder also.
Will they last longer on the top or bottom?
Will the steering be easier on the top or bottom?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Here are a couple things to ponder also.
Will they last longer on the top or bottom?
Will the steering be easier on the top or bottom?
Your take on those questions Pete?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The placement on the model A was definitely different. The brake operating components certainly had a lot to do with that. When parts are up to original specifications the load is still acting on the thrust bearings but in a different way than the later cars that had the hydraulic brakes. The A-3123-A and the B-3123-A served two purposes. Spindle bearing and the steering gear worm bearing so Ford got there moneys worth on those.

The model A steers a bit better with the 37/41(round back) spindles and hydraulic brakes but that is likely due to using a Gemmer II gearbox from a later Ford or an old Hudson. They steer OK with the model A steering gears & mechanical brakes but it was what it was. It was certainly better than the model T set up.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-26-2020 at 05:32 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Your take on those questions Pete?
Less friction equals longer parts life.
Less friction equals easier steering.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote