Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2019, 05:19 AM   #1
Graham Freeman

Default Ashtray Radio Installation.

Can anyone help me with location of holes in the firewall for mounting the radio box for ashtray radio in my 34.
The Ford Service Bulletins for May-June 1934 show a template in fig 269 but no dimensions.
Thanks
Graham
Graham Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
jimTN

Default Re: Ashtray Radio Installation.

My 34 had dimples in the firewall where the holes are to be drilled.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
koates

Graham, Is your car left or right hand drive. ? Regardless of that the center control radio box must be mounted on the left side of the dash/firewall. ie, passenger side on a right hand drive car or drivers side on a left hand drive car. Its the only place it can be fitted to enable the control head cables to reach the side of the radio box. There was a cardboard template for the holes position which came with the original instruction book. You can buy a reproduction copy of original instructions but I am not sure if it has the template in that book. My copy did not have it inside. Threë 7/16 holes are required to be drilled in the horizontal firewall panel at the provided dimples. Do you have a mounting kit which consists of three T head bolts, nuts and large flat washers ? If your car is RHD then the radio box should still fit under the glove box. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
Steve Staysko

Here is a photo of the location of the dimples on an original 34 cowl that JimTN is referring to.
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
blucar

Hopefully I can clarify the radio receiver box location in the '33-34 & '35-37 cars.
The Ford Philco receiver box has to be mounted on the left side of the car and that is where the location dimples in the cowl are usually located.
The control cables are located on the right side of the receiver box for attachment of the center mounted control head.
I would surmise that the glove box would require a modification, making it shorter to clear the receiver box.
I would make a guess that Ford-Philco most likely never made a receiver box for a right hand drive vehicle.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
stangblue

Graham if you could mirror this picture to the other side of firewall it may help ( I used this picture some what to determine my speakers mounting position). I didn't have any dimples either on the firewall to reference to as well. You could also position the speaker under the dash centered above the steering column and align the T-bolts attached on either side of speaker to intersect and mark on the underneath of firewall. GoodLuck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg samsung 11 8 2013 2889.jpg (42.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Graham Freeman

It is LHD (ex USA) it appears to have had holes but they have been filled at some stage where the dimples would have been.
I presume there were only 2 holes that supported the the box itself? The 3rd hole that shows in Fig 269 is for the speedo cable support only? this has also been filled.
Some accurate dimensions from someone for the 3 holes from the bend in the firewall and in from the cowl side would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Graham
Old 07-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #8
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Freeman View Post
It is LHD (ex USA) it appears to have had holes but they have been filled at some stage where the dimples would have been.
I presume there were only 2 holes that supported the the box itself? The 3rd hole that shows in Fig 269 is for the speedo cable support only? this has also been filled.
Some accurate dimensions from someone for the 3 holes from the bend in the firewall and in from the cowl side would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Graham
Graham i'm in the process of doing the same . The reprint does not have the firewall template but does have the dash template for cutting a dash without an ashtray (standard) I'd already cut mine by using the template in the Service Bulletins . I used a photocopier at work and enlarged the template until the distance between the choke and throttle knobs was correct and then printed it out.

Kevin feels that the radio will clear the glovebox on my RHD drive car . I think there are two T bolts rather than 3 but these are freely available or fabricated .

I have no dimples on my firewall either - and would appreciate some X Y measurements to locate where to drill on mine as well - Karl
Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #9
petehoovie

On my LHD '34, the T-Bolts are exactly 11 inches apart center to center. They are exactly 2 inches (center of bolt) from the top vertical of the firewall. As seen in the attached picture, the T-Bolt on the right is 1-5/8 inches (center of bolt) from the right edge of the firewall. The hole for the speedo cable looks to be 3/4 inch in diameter and is located right above the lower lip of the firewall and 1-1/2 inches (center of hole) from the right edge of the firewall. I'm not sure but the hole for the speedo cable on my car may have been enlarged, or maybe not....

BTW - My car did have the dimples on the firewall for the correct bolt locations....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg '34 Radio T bolts 001.JPG (100.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg '34 Radio T bolts 002.JPG (109.2 KB, 148 views)

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 07-17-2019 at 01:45 AM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 AM   #10
Graham Freeman

Thanks Pete,
Exactly what I was after, will drill holes tomorrow.
Many thanks,
Graham
Old 07-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #11
Karl

Ditto exactly what I need as well -Karl