Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #1
tommyleea

Default Wiring Ideas

I found a new wiring harness in a container with my 55 F100. There are no markings on the wires. Are there any procedures to make it somewhat easy, or will it just have to be wire by wire? I have started to ohm out and mark, and maybe that is the only way? Thanks for any expert advise. Looks like the main harness and a couple of others.
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:12 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Wiring Ideas

Do you have any idea if it's a FoMoCo part or aftermarket?
Any indication if it's correct for a '55 F100 ?
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
paul2748

Are the wires different colors? Get a wiring diagram that shows the color codes.

Last edited by paul2748; 02-17-2020 at 10:30 PM.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Are the wires different colors? Get a wiring diagram that shows the color codes.
The wires are different colors, but don't really match the shop manual, or other diagrams that I have seen. Except for the lights, I think they are kind of universal as far as color coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Do you have any idea if it's a FoMoCo part or aftermarket?
Any indication if it's correct for a '55 F100 ?
There are no markings on it, and I can only assume it was purchased for the truck. I did notice that it has spade connections instead of the bullet type. I am working on the dash layout right now. I guess it is aftermarket.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:10 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Years ago, I got a couple of wiring harnesses for both my '55's that were made in Brazil. They are not color coded as the original and most terminals were the push-on spade type. Only two bullet type terminals were for the brake light switch.
They both turned out to be junk. They are made out of scraps of wire, butt-spliced internally and taped over with electrical tape. Most internal connections were connected to wires going to the wrong place. Almost nothing worked. There were also several dead short circuits connected internally.
If you have one of those, throw it in a bonfire immediately.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
Ford blue blood

Many after market kits use GM color codes for their kits. GM ran the same colors for many years. Take a look at a GM (70s - 90s) diagram, might just line up with what you have.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Years ago, I got a couple of wiring harnesses for both my '55's that were made in Brazil. They are not color coded as the original and most terminals were the push-on spade type. Only two bullet type terminals were for the brake light switch.
They both turned out to be junk. They are made out of scraps of wire, butt-spliced internally and taped over with electrical tape. Most internal connections were connected to wires going to the wrong place. Almost nothing worked. There were also several dead short circuits connected internally.
If you have one of those, throw it in a bonfire immediately.
That is a possibility. It was just in a container with the truck. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford blue blood View Post
Many after market kits use GM color codes for their kits. GM ran the same colors for many years. Take a look at a GM (70s - 90s) diagram, might just line up with what you have.
I will check that out. I did notice that all the wires are solid colors except one.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
bobss396

My Kwik Wire harness for a Ford was wired per the GM code, easy to look up. Does it have a fuse block with it? There may be some way to ID it from that. But it may be more of a headache than anything else if you have to guess your way through it.

Put it up on eBay, as is, BIN for $50 and people will be wanting MORE of them... use that as down payment on a good harness.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:41 AM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Tell ya what, the Brazilian crap wire harnesses come with a phenolic terminal block for the headlight wiring harness to replace Fomoco's original bullet type junction block on the Driver side inner fender apron, and the wires for those are not terminated, but the kit comes with a bag of loose ring-tongue terminals for use with the terminal block. I also noticed that both my kits had ONE wire in each that had a striped color-code wire.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #10
Greg Rogers

If it is a original replacement type, you can go on Mid Fifty's site and look at a pdf of the instructions of their replacement harness. If it is a aftermarket "custom" type harness I don't know how you could find out what is what. Good luck with it...
Greg Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:27 PM   #11
tommyleea

Thanks for all the suggestions. It won't be an easy task. No instructions that I could find. Will have to ohm out each wire if I decide to use it. I think I will reevaluate what I currently have in the truck. It is starting to look better all the time!