Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
grumppyoldman

Default Beautiful day today

Finally had some sunshine today, drove the 55 to Buckeee's for a fill up of non ethenol gas. Put about 30 mi. on it. Then took my 41 and filled it up, out about 20 mi. on it what a beautiful day for a drive. Feeling bad for you guy's up north with all this horrible weather. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Beautiful day today

Yeah, but we don't have to worry about hurricanes too much up here in southern Illinois, and although it is below freezing here, it's not too bad.
I have always wanted to move to the plateau area of west Texas, but it gets cold enough there that it is not worth moving just for the sake of gaining a few degrees warmer in winter. And they have bad storms and tornados there too.
I wouldn't be able to take the humidity of the Gulf area now. Houston was absolutely oppressive during the summer months, just as a comparison.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
Dobie Gillis

In Houston what doesn't move mildews. If the humidity gets down to 50% people take off work.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
Jwawhite

Ah, moving from my Native State of California to Arizona.
It's 65 degrees at 10 am in AZ and just a hint of dryness as compared to CA.

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY!
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
grumppyoldman

Had another beautiful day yesterday, drove both cars again, had lot of thumbs up and saw other's out driving their's. Going to a show this weekend if weather holds. Al
Old 02-04-2020, 02:52 AM   #6
JeffB2

It was 78 in Phoenix today got a cold spell coming in tonight though so may see low 30's the next two mornings and highs around 58-60 back in the 70's for the weekend.So it's car shows and cruise in time here. http://www.cruisinarizona.com/carshows.html
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
MplsMike

At least it’s sunny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3AB2232E-ED21-48B8-944E-F5FE2003B74A.jpg (15.9 KB, 2 views)
MplsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
grumppyoldman

Crappy weather today and tomorrow, hope it clears up for the car show this Sat. and Sun. Al
Old 02-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
JimNNN

Not really good here today, either Al. Snowed this morning, maybe 1.5 to 2 inches.

Supposed to have some 40 degree days over the next week, though. Eastern Nebr.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
packrat5
BANNED

You know, I certainly can agree with a nice day, especially one spent doing what you enjoy. With that said, I still would live in my home state of Wisconsin more so than any other state in the union. I have friends, and relatives in all parts of the US, and wouldn't want their issues. All of the warm "desirable" places have been discovered many years ago, and for the most part they are overpopulated, overpriced, the infrastructure is overworked, and when you factor in hurricanes, and usually the accompanying floods, complete infrastructure collapse, even looting, no thanks. Then we have for instance, Florida and their neighboring states, with all of the above problems plus the rapidly invasive species issues, the certainly coming rising sea level, ground water contamination, and climate change, again no thanks. Ditto for the east coast, and even more so for the west coast. I like where I am, four distinct seasons, all of them can be problematic of course, but a few weeks of cold, a few weeks of snow, a few weeks of extreme heat, a rainy spell, they are kind of all welcome, especially for seasonal sports. All of them can be enjoyable. And when the so called "nice" days come, and there are many of them, they are great in Wisconsin!
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #11
tommyleea

If I am up and about it is a beautiful day. If I am able to cruise it is even beautifuller..
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #12
bobss396

My car was down for 45 days, issue with broken jumper wire on the starter. And too cold to work on it for any long time. Made a solid copper jumper from copper sheet, finally got it on this past Monday.

Warmed up a bit, have had some 50-55 days, but off and on rain. If possible I will take the car out to the gym after work.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

Fuel pump quit on my '55 last week, so I took the battery out of the car for the winter. Car sits outside always. Put a car cover on to protect my freshly chrome plated door handles just before some sleet and snow hit, but the car cover blew off.
Good car cover but there's only one tie-down across the bottom in the middle. I want to add material and nylon loopholes (or straps) at each corner, but haven't found anyone around that could do the sewing. It is kinda worthless when the weather is windy.
That fuel pump was at least 25 years old so can't complain about that. New pump should be here next week.
The '55 car is my absolute favorite car to drive. It has Y-block/Ford-O-Matic, power steering assist and radial tires. The seat they used in the fordor sedan is perfect for me, like they custom made it for my comfort and drive-ability.
I'd like to drive that '55 Courier off a cliff. 223 I-6/Ford-O-Matic, standard steering, OEM 710x15 tires, and the seat is so low in that thing (2-dr sedan seat). It is made different than the fordor front bench seat. I can barely see over the top of the speedometer.
Battery is dead in the 2007 F150 pickup truck with V6. Most uncomfortable thing I ever drove with those stupid headrests, and I don't like seat-belts. I guess the cold weather killed the battery, plus I hadn't started it in a long time. Ought to put the truck out to pasture, but it's only got 53K miles on it.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #14
Merc Cruzer

Snow show for one! It's going to be another blue sky day here again today. Just like when we were kids, she wanted to play in the snow.

Didn't I tell you to clean your tires off before you came into the house!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9376.jpg (112.5 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9380.jpg (37.2 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-11-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #15
54vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Snow show for one! It's going to be another blue sky day here again today. Just like when we were kids, she wanted to play in the snow.

Didn't I tell you to clean your tires off before you came into the house!
if we tried that up here the colour would change to a chalky (salt)white we need to wait until after a couple of spring rains to wash it(salt) off the roads
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #16
mercman from oz

Merc Cruzer, How come you didn't lower the top on your 1953 Mercury Monterey Convertible so that you could enjoy your great weather? Thanks for sharing this nice photo. Regards Mercman <><
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:12 PM   #17
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

Merc Cruzer, How come you didn't lower the top on your 1953 Mercury Monterey Convertible so that you could enjoy your great weather? Thanks for sharing this nice photo. Regards Mercman <><
If I was down there, it would definitely be down. Or is it too hot to put the top down, down there? In the sun it was a "Beautiful day today"

Will do for the next snow storm, which is coming in a few days.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:49 PM   #18
harleyjohn45

Here in Ruidoso NM, we have a few weeks of nippy weather, very little snow, the summers are to die for. very seldom goes over 85 with very low humidity.
harleyjohn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #19
bobss396

Cold today here in NY, 27 this morning and windy. But we are closing out the month with zero snow. I've been driving the car quite a bit and gassing it up weekly now. 93 octane is $3.05 a gallon...
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote