Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Model A Ford Trunks

A few weeks ago some of you sent me an article on how to build your own trunk. I did get started and have made the bottom and sides. I am having trouble making the curved top. The plywood I used cracked when bent. The article specifies (2) layers of 1/8 material that is soaked in water and then bent around a form. My question is has anyone found a source for 1/8 in. marine plywood or other material that was good for this application? Thanks for your help, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: Model A Ford Trunks

Hi Ed. I have gotten into woodworking in the past few years. Although I have personally not done this, steam may be your friend. Rockler Woodworking sells a steam box"Kit". You would need to build a simple flat box out of wood and insert your lid pieces and steam away. When ready, place on your form and make sure to have too many clamps.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
denniskliesen

Ed, you’re far from me but I found some 1/8” at Austin Hardwood out here in Southern CA. They called it wiggle wood. It bends easily, but I still had to steam it on the sharp radius. What I don’t like about it is flimsy. I glued mine 3 ply thick with plenty of TiteBond III. I still had to steam it on the tight radius. I just finished mine btw. I didn’t use the plans, instead went by dimensions and pictures in the Service Bulletins pg 364 and in the section of accessories of the JS & RG. Mine fits the original Ford accessory rack that is a couple inches narrower at 33” wide, 16” deep, and 19” tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 830B27CF-731D-4AE6-BA64-EB61313C2D4E.jpg (66.9 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by denniskliesen; 10-10-2020 at 01:43 PM.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:42 AM   #4
wwirz

Your approach may be incorrect. You need to make the rounded top in strips. Each strip cut to approx. 12.5 degrees. PM me for more instructions.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:19 AM   #5
Bruce of MN

Dennis' pic vertical:

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #6
Ed in Maine

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions. Ed
Old 10-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
McMimmcs

Sometimes it’s better to buy one already made. The time and expense involved suggest that dollars not spent are not dollars saved. I’ve been down that road and I could have bought one cheaper and the manufactured trunk looks far more professional. Every flea market has them for less than a hundred dollars.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
Joop

Would make a good winter project in cold Maine
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #9
duke36

It appears you may have come across Marshall Lewis' article from decades ago in the Restorer Mag. He used 1/8" marine ply. and soaked it in water. Sometimes, one can score the back side curve with a table saw to help. I have an orig. trunk from the early 30's that has 1/4" curved ply.for the top and is very sturdy. Another option may be to try mahogany door skins or similar from the home stores because the adhesives may soften better than plywd. adhesives.

Last edited by duke36; 10-11-2020 at 05:04 PM.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #10
Pandersen33

I was able to make mone by cutting kerfswhere the bend was and forming over the sides. I tried to soak/steam and just wasted money on firewood. Looks tacky from the underside but its usually closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BBED2524-64EF-47D1-B5F8-36DD1378FD6A.jpeg (135.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpeg 9434AED2-6779-4D8F-B32C-B5D7EA1059FA.jpeg (105.7 KB, 40 views)
Pandersen33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #11
Ed in Maine

Default Re: Model A Ford Trunks (Suggestion from WWIRZ)

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was making a trunk for my Victoria and was having trouble with the curved portion of the top. There was a suggestion from WWIRZ to cut strips to form the curve. This suggestion "hits the nail on the head!" The suggestion was to cut the strips with a 12 degree chamfer. The next day I set up my radial arm saw for the twelve degrees and cut (8) strips with the top of the strip at 9/16 in. and the bottom at 7/16 in. In the setup this is what I ended up with after setting up the saw and I decided to stay with this setting. I think the strips may have fitted a bit tighter with a 10 degree chamfer for the curve that I had but the glue filled any gaps. It was an excellent suggestion and the trunk is moving toward assembly. I think my total cost is going to be about $130.00. The trunks I have seen advertised go for about $450.00 and higher. Thanks again Ford Barn for such a good suggestion. Ed