Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
firerod

Default Wiring help

I am wiring my car and have a question for you electrical guys. In the past I have run two wires from the "BAT" connection on my voltage regulator, one to the generator and one to feed the fuse panel. Instead of this, can I run two wires off the "+" side of the ammeter, one to the voltage regulator and one to feed the fuse panel?
firerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Wiring help

Why would you need two wires to the BAT terminal? There should only be one wire from the BAT terminal of the regulator to the fuse/circuit breaker panel. There should not be a connection between the BAT terminal and the generator, what would you connect it to on the generator? Is there something no-original that is wired up?

The Ground on the generator connects to the Ground at the Voltage Regulator.

The Arm connection on the generator connects to the Arm terminal on the Voltage Regulator.

The Field connection on the generator connects to the Field terminal on the Voltage Regulator.

The BAT terminal on the Voltage Regulator is the output to the Fuse/Circuit Breaker panel.

What year/model car/truck are we talking about?

"... can I run two wires off the "+" side of the ammeter, one to the voltage regulator and one to feed the fuse panel?"

Why not wire it up correctly? The wire from the starter solenoid (battery side) connects to fuse panel (after going through the ammeter) and the wire from the voltage regulator BAT terminal connects to the same terminal on the fuse panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49-50 Charge System.jpg (21.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1941-42 regulator wiring.jpg (22.7 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 06-27-2017 at 09:17 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
firerod

Thank you. I will connect them at the fuse panel like it should be, for some reason I was trying to make it more difficult than it is.
firerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
rotorwrench

In aviation, manufacturers sometimes run multiple small gauge conductor wires instead of a single large gauge conductor. I think they do it to save money but you still have to figure your amperage capability the same way as with a single. It makes for a busy wiring harness with all the extra wire in there. On a 6-volt system, you need a conductor wire gauge that can carry at least the full output of the system for the small amount of voltage. This requires larger gauge conductor wire than a comparable 12-volt system. Very seldom is there any wiring less than 16 gauge in a 6 volt system. 10 or 12 gauge works well for main buss conductors but it doesn't hurt a thing to go with a larger gauge wire.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerod View Post
Thank you. I will connect them at the fuse panel like it should be, for some reason I was trying to make it more difficult than it is.
What year are you working on? From looking at your profile I'm guessing it could be a 32 body, but with a later engine, correct? In that case, which engine & generator? Do you have a wiring diagram?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote