Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
langan

Default 34 front fenders on 32 chassie

Collecting parts for another 32-34 truck. This time I will use a 32 chassis and a nice 34 cab. Question is will 34 front fenders fit 32 chassis?
langan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 34 front fenders on 32 chassie

NO!

The shape of the top of the frame is different where the fender sits on top. The wheelbase is also different 106" vs 112".

Use 1932 fenders and running boards.

You can see the difference in the frame profile on our frame diagrams www.wescottsauto.com > Tech > Frame Diagrams.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Richard (EV8G)

Since the old days, people did not realize that the 33-34 Commerical/Truck front fenders (with the raised area to clear the front cross member rivets, which are not flush on 33-34) were not 32's, even though they LOOKED like 32's. And, as Karl posted THEY DO NOT FIT a 32. I have heard stories in the past from people who got a "bargain" on a NOS 32 front fender or fenders, only to discover that the "bargain" was not...

I have a 34 PU that someone in the past installed a RF 1932 fender on, but they did alot of stuff to it and the truck to get it to "sort of fit" - I have had the correct fender for it for several years, but have not got around to it...

Last edited by Richard (EV8G); 10-05-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Richard (EV8G) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
HOTRODPRIMER

Dave's confused pickup has a 34 cab,,everything else is 1932 with the exception of the bed.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
langan

Hotrod Primer I plan on same truck. Hard to go wrong. hood grill and bed where did you buy? Any help would be nice. I screwed up and sold my 34
langan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
HOTRODPRIMER

We made the bed on Daves truck,,it is the same as the one we made for my 32 pickup,,,the grill shell is a Bob Drake item and the hood is Rootlib.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
dennis33

Thanks for the information HOTRODPRIMER on the front fenders. I am building a 33, had some 32 fenders (which i was told were the same as 33-34) which i couldnt get to fit right. Did the 32 pu and car share the same fenders?
dennis33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #8
Ray Parson

YES fenders are same i have 6 32/34 pickup and one each of the panel deliverys
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
Rem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
Dave's confused pickup has a 34 cab,,everything else is 1932 with the exception of the bed.

That's interesting (and a nice truck) - is the '33-'34 cab dimensionally the same as a '32 one? I know the rear moulding lines are different, but can a '32 firewall be installed in a '33-'34? I guess the floor area is different if the gas tank is no longer under the seat?

And is the hood stock '32 dimensionally?

Thanks, Andy
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
That's interesting (and a nice truck) - is the '33-'34 cab dimensionally the same as a '32 one? I know the rear moulding lines are different, but can a '32 firewall be installed in a '33-'34? I guess the floor area is different if the gas tank is no longer under the seat?

And is the hood stock '32 dimensionally?

Thanks, Andy
Andy,you are correct in that the cabs are dimensionally the same with the exception of the 33 which has basically the same rear moulding as the 32 but shares the same firewall as the 34 .

And the firewall can be removed and a 32 installed although we didn't do that with the confused truck.

I used a 32 passenger car gas tank on my truck and Dave has yet to decide what he will use.

The Hood is a reproduction 25 louver hood made for a 32 Ford.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
Richard (EV8G)

It is important to note that a 32 cowl has a steel band in the opening that the firewall and seal fit into. The band includes a "loop" at the bottom of both sides that is bolted to the frame in such a way that the cowl sides can be pulled down tightly around the firewall and stay put. If the firewall from a 33-34 cab is removed (by drilling out a gillion spot-welds), a 32 firewall will not fit the resulting opening. The steel band will need to be "harvested" from another body and installed before the firewall is installed.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
Rem

Thanks HRP and Richard. Someone sent a photo of a cab at Carlisle, but it was a dead-on side view so I wasn't sure if it was '32 or later. It was sitting on a pallet on a '33 frame, so that may have been a clue, but there was no firewall visible which sort of implied '32. I fancy a roadster pickup project, but suspect that the cab would be pretty hard to find so am also considering a closed-cab - I have the chassis and running gear, just need the body!
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote