Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default Twin-X two speed rear end? Have a columbian two speed. Identify model A engine.

I have a twin-X two speed rear end and have no idea if I have all the parts or how to install it. Can anyone give me some advise.

I also have access to a Columbian two speed rear end, complete was in a 47 ford pick up, anyone know the value of one?

I'm trying to identify the year of my engine in my model A, according to all the websites they say that the serial number starts with an A, I know the previous owner swapped out the engine it looks like the typical a engine but the serial number is S32588COLO, can anyone help identify? I can send photos upon request.
tom@hydesinsurance.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Twin-X two speed rear end? Have a columbian two speed. Identify model A engine.

Tom,

Welcome to the Barn. I would like to suggest you post a photo of the serial number. If you send a picture to someone and they comment on it no one else will be able to benefit from the answer, and if it their answer is wrong nobody will see it to correct it. The number is not from Ford. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that it is a number that the Colorado DMV assigned.

Also, what is your correct email?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Twin-X two speed rear end? Have a columbian two speed. Identify model A engine.

I think the Secrets of Speed society did an article in the Twin-X about 20+ years ago. I can't remember if it was technical or just "fluff". You might contact them. Their index shows something in volume 3-2 under rear ends but I can't find my copy, http://cloud2.snappages.com/86037800...to%20v26-x.pdf

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 10-02-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a twin-X two speed rear end and have no idea if I have all the parts or how to install it. Can anyone give me some advise.
Contact Ron or BJ Miller at Ron's Machine in Shandon, OH as they have one that they rebuilt and used. Good people that will likely help you out.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
1930artdeco

Model A engines got swapped like batteries back then. So it sounds like yours is a swapped motor that may have come from sears, wards or some other shop. And welcome to the barn.

Mike
Old 10-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
Chris Haynes

It is obvious that the original serial number has been removed. The the state of Colorado assigned a number to it.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #7
SSsssteamer

The value of the Columbia two speed rear end depends a lot if it has been rebuilt with bullet proof parts, or if it is just a tired out Columbia rear end. A tired out Columbia and needing a rebuilt can be had pretty cheap. Keep in mind that the axle housing and axle lengths for the '47 Ford are wider than the axle housings and axles used for the thirties. Machining then down can change all of that but that can also be an extra cost too. I have been out of the Columbia loop for years so I am not up on current Columbia prices.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #8
larrys40

Columbia core price is probably $1500 on the low end to $3500 depending on what it is.
I would not use without proper disassembly, inspection,Bullet proofing and proper rear end rebuilding . Make work in an A is a lot different than the V8 housings. Some conversion is required.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #9
Kevin in NJ

Columbia, do you have the controls or just the rear?

Is it apart and cleaned so it can be determined what it needs?

For there you get a better value. Otherwise people have to make assumptions as to condition and give a minimal price so they do not get hurt.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #10
[email protected]

Thank you for all the responses I really appreciate them. I will follow up with the suggestions.
tom@hydesinsurance.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:26 PM   #11
GMCPASO

http://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com/

Try these guys for information.
GMCPASO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
lee in bend

I too have a Twin-X in my Victoria. Pretty much like the standard rear-end except for the control rod that's used to shift from Hi to Low range. I am very cautious about shifting while I'm moving. If I try to shift it at any speed at all it grinds so I wait till I'm either stopped or at a very low speed. I wish I could get more information on them and some history too. They work very well.

I had a couple of Columbia's but traded them off. They were too wide for use in the Model A's. The Twin-X was made for the A's....I guess.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
lee in bend is offline   Reply With Quote