Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
LockDoc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montezuma, IA
Posts: 24
Default New Member Here

-

I just joined up a couple of days ago so I thought I would drop in on the A forum and post a few pictures of my basket case roadster. I have owned this for a year or so but have not started on it yet. The body was completely disassembled when I got it but I stuck it back together to make it easier to store. The frame has been blasted and painted black and I have most of the parts to put it together, except for a useable engine. It was an old street rod but luckily they didn't make any modifications that would be hard to correct. I'm looking forward to getting started on it but it won't be a show car, I enjoy driving them too much.

Good to be here.

LockDoc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelA Roadster_05.jpg (127.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg ModelA Roadster_04.jpg (99.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg ModelA Roadster_02.jpg (97.6 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg ModelA Roadster_01.jpg (106.2 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg ModelA Roadster_07.jpg (99.2 KB, 168 views)
__________________
Leon

Marrage is like a deck of cards. In the beginning all you need is two Hearts and a Diamond.
By the end, one of you will wish you had a Club and a Spade...
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 11,454
Default Re: New Member Here

Hey welcome
That roadster isn't bad, i have seen much worse. actually it looks to be in better shape than that chevy truck
any help you need just post it as there are a lot of smart dudes here..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
John LaVoy
Senior Member
 
John LaVoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 1,219
Default Re: New Member Here

Welcome to the Model A hobby. Engines are plentiful for the Model A. You should investigate a local chapter someone probably has a block that is useable.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Phil
Senior Member
 
Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bethany, Ok
Posts: 374
Default Re: New Member Here

Welcome to the barn! Looks like a good project. It is always good to see one being brought to life. Good luck.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Ghost of elmirage
Senior Member
 
Ghost of elmirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Worcester , Mass
Posts: 300
Default Re: New Member Here

Welcome from Massachsetts to the Frod Barn
__________________
GeoffReadv8@gmail.com
Ghost of elmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
kwisor
Senior Member
 
kwisor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: lexington sc
Posts: 392
Default Re: New Member Here

welcome leon
you have alot of work but you are at the right place to get the help you need
kevin
1930 model a tudor
1923 model t roadster p/u
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
c125bob
Senior Member
 
c125bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chattahoochee Hills, Ga
Posts: 143
Default Re: New Member Here

Welcome from Georgia, lots of help here on the barn !

Now....... get to work !
__________________
Bob
1930 Tudor
Chattahoochee Hills, Ga
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Hicktick
Senior Member
 
Hicktick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hickory Tavern , SC
Posts: 422
Default Re: New Member Here

Looks like a good start , what are your plans for the roadster????

Welcome to the barn.
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
LockDoc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montezuma, IA
Posts: 24
Default Re: New Member Here

Thanks for the welcome fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LaVoy View Post
Welcome to the Model A hobby. Engines are plentiful for the Model A. You should investigate a local chapter someone probably has a block that is useable.
The guy I bought the car from gave me a book that lists the names of the members of the local chapter. Now I need to find it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicktick View Post
Looks like a good start , what are your plans for the roadster????

Welcome to the barn.
Right now I just want to get it put together and moveable under it's own power. That will give me time to upgrade some of the parts that aren't in the best of shape. Thanks

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Marrage is like a deck of cards. In the beginning all you need is two Hearts and a Diamond.
By the end, one of you will wish you had a Club and a Spade...
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
metalho
Senior Member
 
metalho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bothell Washington
Posts: 530
Default Re: New Member Here

AWSOME START! You will know every part on the car when your done. Good work
metalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
james hitchcock
Senior Member
 
james hitchcock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Visalia Ca.
Posts: 617
Default Re: New Member Here

Now the fun begins.... Looks like a good start. Welcome to The Barn.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
ctvpa
Senior Member
 
ctvpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 479
Default Re: New Member Here

Great car. The hardest part is to turn the first screw. If you don't have a shop, might I suggest the following items that have helped me to unbelieveable rate. First a compressor, (bigger is better) a sand blaster cabinet ( I got a great one from Harbor freight) , and a tumbler (again big is best) You can put a couple handfulls of parts in, and they are clean and polished with no work I all (I got mine at Eastwood)
Heres what mine looked like a while ago, now putting interior in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJHMrVqkvnw

Best of luck

Last edited by ctvpa; 02-28-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling error
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Joe K
Senior Member
 
Joe K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cow Hampshire
Posts: 3,563
Default Re: New Member Here

You really shouldn't carry all that "eye candy" around in the back of a truck. We're the sort who can see a Zenith in a junkpile at 50 paces.

Glad you're aboard. Get ready to meet Bill and his Dog and just remember - it's a party. Some fellow party go-ers you like a lot, others you wish would stay home. But it's still a party and we all stay polite - mostly.

And I see you're good at pix. We all LOOOOVE pix.



Above is John Hoyt and his Model A in the Midas Muffler Commercial. He's the one who said "How do you think the richest man in town STAYS the richest man in town."

He's done his restoration - that's why.

See ya round, boy...

Joe K
__________________
Shudda kept the horse.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida
Senior Member
 
Mike V. Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 14,051
Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: New Member Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post


Right now I just want to get it put together and moveable under it's own power. That will give me time to upgrade some of the parts that aren't in the best of shape. Thanks

LockDoc
Wise move!
__________________
What's right about America is that although we have a mess of problems, we have great capacity - intellect and resources - to do some thing about them. - Henry Ford II
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
newshirt
Senior Member
 
newshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 868
Default Re: New Member Here

You're going to love that A! Hope to see you around the barn.
__________________
Ray White
newshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
Steve Wastler
Senior Member
 
Steve Wastler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,987
Default Re: New Member Here

I too agree, looks like a great start.....
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
kenparker
Senior Member
 
kenparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Van, Texas
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: New Member Here

Welcome to the Barn. Lots of good advice and good friends too. My last three A's were basket cases and I loved every minute of the reassemblies. The pix is part of the load that came home as a basket case - the S/W. ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charlotte9.jpg (126.4 KB, 33 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
LockDoc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montezuma, IA
Posts: 24
Default Re: New Member Here

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvpa View Post
Great car. The hardest part is to turn the first screw. If you don't have a shop, might I suggest the following items that have helped me to unbelieveable rate. First a compressor, (bigger is better) a sand blaster cabinet ( I got a great one from Harbor freight) , and a tumbler (again big is best) You can put a couple handfulls of parts in, and they are clean and polished with no work I all (I got mine at Eastwood)
Heres what mine looked like a while ago, now putting interior in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJHMrVqkvnw

Best of luck
I have a pretty well equipped shop, in fact my wife says we are tool poor... I also have a small tumbler. What I found that works a lot better than a tumbler is an old cement mixer that I bought cheap. You can put a lot of stuff in that thing and it comes out like new. I use the old sand from my sand blaster in it.

That is a great video. I probably would have driven it around the block... j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
You really shouldn't carry all that "eye candy" around in the back of a truck. We're the sort who can see a Zenith in a junkpile at 50 paces.

Glad you're aboard. Get ready to meet Bill and his Dog and just remember - it's a party. Some fellow party go-ers you like a lot, others you wish would stay home. But it's still a party and we all stay polite - mostly.

And I see you're good at pix. We all LOOOOVE pix.



Above is John Hoyt and his Model A in the Midas Muffler Commercial. He's the one who said "How do you think the richest man in town STAYS the richest man in town."

He's done his restoration - that's why.

See ya round, boy...

Joe K
Joe,

I'm ready for a "polite" party.

Like John, I try to do all of my own work. I do trade some mechanical work for some of the body work and painting. I can do it but it isn't one of my favorite things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
Welcome to the Barn. Lots of good advice and good friends too. My last three A's were basket cases and I loved every minute of the reassemblies. The pix is part of the load that came home as a basket case - the S/W. ken
Ken,

Most of your basket case parts are in much better shape that mine but I have a hammer, dolly, and a welder.


LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Marrage is like a deck of cards. In the beginning all you need is two Hearts and a Diamond.
By the end, one of you will wish you had a Club and a Spade...
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #19
antiquepa
Senior Member
 
antiquepa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: wheeling west virginia
Posts: 199
Default Re: New Member Here

Welcome,and have fun putting your "A" back together, once shes done you"ll have a blast driving your Model "A". When I got mine back in 2002, it was a very drivable car, and every winter I would work on the car and drive in the spring/summer. Its done after 10 years and 48000 miles later, and like I said You"ll have a blast driving your Model "A". Good luck on your project!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #20
LockDoc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montezuma, IA
Posts: 24
Default Re: New Member Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquepa View Post
Welcome,and have fun putting your "A" back together, once shes done you"ll have a blast driving your Model "A". When I got mine back in 2002, it was a very drivable car, and every winter I would work on the car and drive in the spring/summer. Its done after 10 years and 48000 miles later, and like I said You"ll have a blast driving your Model "A". Good luck on your project!!

Thanks antiquepa. I can't wait to start on it. I may be able to sneak a few hours into it this Spring...

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Marrage is like a deck of cards. In the beginning all you need is two Hearts and a Diamond.
By the end, one of you will wish you had a Club and a Spade...
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.