Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
twilder

Default Carb Rebuild

I'm getting ready to do my first carb rebuild on a Zenith. What is a good overnight soaking solution that I could purchase at any parts store that would clean the carb but not damage the brass plugs? I don't plan on drilling and replacing the plugs.
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: Carb Rebuild

I have a gallon of Berrymans Chemdip that I use for all sorts of cruddy parts including my Zenith. Comes with a little parts basket inside. Seems like pretty nasty stuff but it works well. I think Gunk makes something comparable.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
holdover

Do this in a very well ventilated area, outside of the garage works best for me. I use Simple Green which is sold most every where. I suppose Mr Clean or any such cleaner should work, or professional carb cleaner that you can get at the better auto part stores, It is a soap based type of cleaner. I place the carb and parts in a clean SS bowl on a hot plate pour enough liquid to cover (you can do more than one at a time) and bring the liquid to just before a boil. I remove all the jets etc so the liquid gets into all the passages. Before I place it in the bowl I remove all the grime from the outside with a wire brush. I let it sit in the solution for about 2 hours simmering. You won't believe how much dirt is removed. (Caution it will be hot) After I remove it, I first blow out all the passages and probe the passages with a bent paper clip and blow again, safety glasses or a shield would be a good idea. I then rinse it with water and again blow out the passages, after which I place it back in the bowl with clean water and bring it to a boil to remove any residue from the cleaning process, then blow it out with air once more till dry. After an inspection to make sure everything is OK I paint the outside with lacquer paint and start the rebuild, or set it aside for a later time in a dry place.

Last edited by holdover; 11-07-2019 at 04:16 PM.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Fairview

Gunk carburetor and parts cleaner is readily available in most car parts stores. Around $28.00 and the gallon size gives you plenty of room for a Zenith. It has the basket for dipping the items, does a good job and doesn’t seem too harsh. It says to soak for twenty minutes if I remember correctly, then rinse with water.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
chrs1961815

I don't always soak carbs but when I do I use vinegar. Eats a little away at rust and certainly loosens things up.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
twilder

Can the float also be cleaned in the Gunk carb cleaner without any damage done to it? I won’t to try and clean everything as good as possible.
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
1crosscut

The carburetor cleaner you get in the gallon can at auto parts stores is a very good way to go. It does not affect the brass plugs. I let carburetors soak at least overnight. Soak the jets, floats etc... Also is a great parts cleaner too. Just get as much grease off miscellaneous parts as you can to make it last longer.

Do not store the metal can of cleaner on a metal shelf or on a concrete floor. For some reason it makes the can start to rust after a while and it will leak. Put it on a small piece of plywood, rubber etc...
Old 11-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #8
jack wingard

Has anyone ever used an ultrasonic cleaner?
jack wingard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #9
redmodelt

I live in Oregon and the Berrymans Chemdip that we just got is crap. I think it is the Calefunny blend. The stuff we got before it same brand, worked fine. Me thinks there was a mix up in shipping some where. It sorta works but take days instead of hours.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:05 AM   #10
Herb Concord Ca

I have used a ultrasonic cleaner for about 10 years. use dish wash liquid in water in a beaker for parts heat to 60C and sonicate for an hour. I then wash out the parts with warm water and blow out passages with air. Works great.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
I have used a ultrasonic cleaner for about 10 years. use dish wash liquid in water in a beaker for parts heat to 60C and sonicate for an hour. I then wash out the parts with warm water and blow out passages with air. Works great.
Does your method clean out blocked blocked/varnished carb passages?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
The carburetor cleaner you get in the gallon can at auto parts stores is a very good way to go. It does not affect the brass plugs. I let carburetors soak at least overnight. Soak the jets, floats etc... Also is a great parts cleaner too. Just get as much grease off miscellaneous parts as you can to make it last longer.

Do not store the metal can of cleaner on a metal shelf or on a concrete floor. For some reason it makes the can start to rust after a while and it will leak. Put it on a small piece of plywood, rubber etc...
Same here BUT two weeks ago I was checking both gallon cans and they have rusted through on the lids. They have been sitting on the wooden floor of my shed for 12 years or so. I bought new gallon cans and will be transferring them this weekend. At one point several years ago my garden tools began to show surface rust everywhere. I had forgot to put the lid back on on one of the cans.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #13
Herb Concord Ca

Hi I can't entirely answer your question. Never had passages that were completely blocked. I can't see the internal passages but the water always comes out light brownish. If really dark, a judgement call, I repeat the cleaning a second time. Any surface you can touch feels really smooth and clean. I do mostly Tillotsons and Marvels. The sonic cleaning really takes off the surface dirt and crud. Help this helps.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #14
pbishop

That will certainly work even better with a solvent solution, still takes time.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
Hi I can't entirely answer your question. Never had passages that were completely blocked. I can't see the internal passages but the water always comes out light brownish. If really dark, a judgement call, I repeat the cleaning a second time. Any surface you can touch feels really smooth and clean. I do mostly Tillotsons and Marvels. The sonic cleaning really takes off the surface dirt and crud. Help this helps.

Thanks, have had issues in the past with lawn mower, leaf blower, pressure washer carbs where they have extremely small passages that can not be cleaned/unblocked. I do take proper precautions with the gas and storage. Repairing usually involves replacing the carb.
Talked with a couple of small engine shops, seems they replace the carb, is more expensive in labor to try to clean, and sometimes they will not clean out. So they just replace - cheaper. Plus fewer return visits with dissatisfied customers where a cleaned carb may not still be quite right.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #16
History

I went to a local Stihl dealer to get a rebuild kit for a saw. The fellow told me I could buy a new carburetor off eBay cheaper than the rebuild kit. I got a carburetor, air filter, spark plug, fuel lines and filter for less than the rebuild kit and it runs great. I think it was like 12 -15 dollars. They are Chinese manufactured but at that price I could buy two cheaper than the rebuild kit!!!!!!!!!
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #17
KGBnut

Based on a recommendation from a friend, I started using PineSol as a carb dip. I just pick it up at the grocery store and mix it 50/50 with water in a plastic paint bucket. I have been using the same batch for about a year now. It works surprisingly well and does not harm plastic parts (on carbs for newer machines).

I've never noticed any problems with brass parts. It can be a little weird on aluminum parts (feels like it leaves a coating), so I don't leave aluminum carb in it for more than a few hours. Zeniths I have left submerged for several days with no trouble... Okay, I will admit, I had forgotten I put it in there...

Ken
Old 11-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #18
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
I went to a local Stihl dealer to get a rebuild kit for a saw. The fellow told me I could buy a new carburetor off eBay cheaper than the rebuild kit. I got a carburetor, air filter, spark plug, fuel lines and filter for less than the rebuild kit and it runs great. I think it was like 12 -15 dollars. They are Chinese manufactured but at that price I could buy two cheaper than the rebuild kit!!!!!!!!!
I payed nearly $700 for my Stihl saw and my buddie bought a copy off ebay for $128. The only local industry I was supporting was a retailer but so was he.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #19
abachman3

We store the gallon can of carb cleaner in a plastic bucket with the lid on the bucket, but only snug. Haven't had a rusting issue and have the same gallon for several years now. Just put the gallon with or without the carb in it into the plastic bucket... also catches any drips when removing the basket with the carb.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote