Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
goodcar

Default Snyders Rebuilt Transmission

I just received a rebuilt transmission from Snyders. When getting ready to install it I noticed the baffle on the front ball bearing was missing. I also noticed that the bearing was not sealed. I assume the front side of the bearing was probably sealed. It is my understanding that if the baffle isn't used then the bearing needs to be sealed on both sides. I called Snyders regarding this issue and was told that there was not enough clearance to allow for the baffle, if the baffle was used it could lock up the transmission. I assume that probably has something to do with the particular gears they are using. I'm okay with all of this hoping that the outside seal doesn't fail but this just seems like departure from everything I've read regarding the assembly. The back ball bearing does have the baffle. I'm not trying to trash Snyders, have always been very pleased with them and will continue to patronize them but just want to point this out if someone else encounters this same situation.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Snyders Rebuilt Transmission

That baffle is not used with a sealed bearing. Seems as though the seal was removed on one side. The side that is still sealed does not have the baffle. The raised portion of the baffle is what acts like the seal on the bearing.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #3
James Rogers

Did you check both sides of the front bearing? You would have to remove the input shaft cover to see the front of the bearing. Many times, a builder will remove the rear seal of a sealed bearing and leave the front intact for oil control.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
Kurt in NJ

One of the functions of the shield is to prevent chips big enough to jam the bearings out of the bearings
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
3.6rs

Why not contacting the company who delivered/rebuilt the transmission ?
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Roger V

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Curious about the space that the original "seal" occupied though not a lot. What does that do to the new position of the shaft?
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Did you check both sides of the front bearing? You would have to remove the input shaft cover to see the front of the bearing. Many times, a builder will remove the rear seal of a sealed bearing and leave the front intact for oil control.
No I did not check the front side of the bearing. I trust that Snyders left it intact, they've rebuilt hundreds of transmissions over the years and I think if there was ever an issue such as I described, we would have probably heard about it by now. In other words, I have to give them the benefit of any doubt until proven otherwise. My initial impression was that this just didn't look right and called them to make sure there wasn't an oversight on their part and the baffle was accidentally left out. Without plowing through my original post, I'll just say that they did respond with an explanation.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
Why not contacting the company who delivered/rebuilt the transmission ?
From my original post: "I called Snyders regarding this issue and was told that there was not enough clearance to allow for the baffle, if the baffle was used it could lock up the transmission. I assume that probably has something to do with the particular gears they are using."
Old 08-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger V View Post
Curious about the space that the original "seal" occupied though not a lot. What does that do to the new position of the shaft?
Don't know, if I could answer that question, I would have probably rebuilt the transmission myself, however, my skills when it comes transmissions are not up to that level which is why I left the rebuild up to someone else.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Brian T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger V View Post
I remember from Tom Endys transmission tips that the baffle should be refitted regardless whether the bearings are sealed or not, the baffle is close to 0.040 what will happen without it is anyone's guess.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #11
Tom Endy

There were two sizes of oil baffles used front and back in the Model A transmission. The early housings that have machined bearing stops use baffles that are slightly smaller in diameter than those used in the housings that have snap ring stops. The service bulletins describe the change.

None of the suppliers offer the early oil baffles, only the later. If you install a later oil baffle in an early housing it will jam the transmission.

Service bulletin reference: September 1929, Page 379.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #12
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
There were two sizes of oil baffles used front and back in the Model A transmission. The early housings that have machined bearing stops use baffles that are slightly smaller in diameter than those used in the housings that have snap ring stops. The service bulletins describe the change.

None of the suppliers offer the early oil baffles, only the later. If you install a later oil baffle in an early housing it will jam the transmission.

Service bulletin reference: September 1929, Page 379.

Tom Endy
Thanks Tom, that further clarifies Snyders explanation. The housing core I exchanged was from a late '31 Model A which had the snap rings and baffle. The rebuilt I requested was A-7005-L, 1929-31 which also has the snap rings. Maybe Snyders does them all the same regardless.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #13
Ed Northrop

Per Toms reply and his tips.I would think you would use the baffle. The rebuilder would need to use the correct size that dates your transmission.
Ed Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
Brian T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
I remember from Tom Endys transmission tips that the baffle should be refitted regardless whether the bearings are sealed or not, the baffle is close to 0.040 what will happen without it is anyone's guess.
The baffle will (NOT) lock up the transmission as long as the baffle is installed the correct way, the lip facing inward to the inside of the transmission, which leaves a 1/16 gap between it and the seal in the bearing.
So what takes up the space that the baffle occupied?. Snyders should have a better answer than that given.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #15
oldredford

A good solution to your dilemma is go buy a Mitchel synchronize transmission.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #16
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldredford View Post
A good solution to your dilemma is go buy a Mitchel synchronize transmission.
Agree, that would be nice but actually I don't mind an original, I just want it to be right and work as it is supposed to work.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #17
ford31

my 31 was rebuilt 10 years ago,tranny has never leaked same as motor,rear end will have a dime size spot on floor in 6 months its the drain plug rather wipe it up than fix it
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #18
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford31 View Post
my 31 was rebuilt 10 years ago,tranny has never leaked same as motor,rear end will have a dime size spot on floor in 6 months its the drain plug rather wipe it up than fix it
Was it rebuilt by Snyders?? Did it have the baffle??
Old 08-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #19
larrys40

I usually always use the baffles as well as Tom Envy says . Peacemakers you use the correct one as per service bulletins . I have never assembled improperly to cause a pickup issue and have done countless transmissions .

I use a lightbulb to lightly preheat the bearings for. An easy install
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #20
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
I just received a rebuilt transmission from Snyders. When getting ready to install it I noticed the baffle on the front ball bearing was missing. I also noticed that the bearing was not sealed. I assume the front side of the bearing was probably sealed. It is my understanding that if the baffle isn't used then the bearing needs to be sealed on both sides. I called Snyders regarding this issue and was told that there was not enough clearance to allow for the baffle, if the baffle was used it could lock up the transmission. I assume that probably has something to do with the particular gears they are using. I'm okay with all of this hoping that the outside seal doesn't fail but this just seems like departure from everything I've read regarding the assembly. The back ball bearing does have the baffle. I'm not trying to trash Snyders, have always been very pleased with them and will continue to patronize them but just want to point this out if someone else encounters this same situation.
I talked to Don Snyder and received the following e-mail response: "Please box up the transmission and let me know when you have it ready and I will issue a call tag for it to be picked up and brought back Just tell me how you want your transmission built and I will build it the way you want and send one to you. I do not have any way of installing bearings that are sealed on both sides so if that’s a deal breaker for you, I can refund you your money and return your core. I want you to be satisified with your purchase so please let me know what you would like us to do?"

Last edited by goodcar; 08-16-2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Update was garbled