Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default Future of Collectible Cars.... something to think about

Been a lot of talk the last couple of years about where the hobby is heading. We all know that the youth today overall can really care less about old cars. That's just the way things are, times change.

A hundred years ago horses were all the rage.They played a big part in people's lives. Times changed. Today, who really gives a rat's behind about horses? Only a very small segment of society because we didn't grow up with them. Most people could care less about them.

Same can be said about our Model A's and T's, we are seeing that plus the muscle car market has been sliding. Home many 20 year old car nuts are out there? Not many. If 50 of this age group shows up at a car show, 50,000 are out doing something else. They want computers, smart phones, laptops, don't know or care even how to change oil on a car.

This is doom and gloom but sadly it is reality. Check out this article from Car and Driver. Mecum , B-J, and other big auction houses are busy now, liquidating investor's and hobbyist's collections.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ash-it-feature

I'm not saying sell out, I don't plan on it because I am in the hobby for the fun after I'm dead and gone I could care less what happens to my cars. This has been discussed here ad -nauseum, buy what you like and have fun and don't worry about a 'return' on your money, just like you would do with a 2017 model car depreciation is the way it is. But this has been a hot coffee house topic this winter with my car buddies! Just waiting for spring to hit here in NW Illinois!!

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 01-23-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Future of Collectible Cars.... something to think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

This is doom and gloom...
Not for me. I subscribe to the last sentence of the article you linked to...

"The happiest people in the hobby are the ones who buy what they like first and let the market worry about return on investment."
Old 01-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
harleynut

Well said. That's exactly what's going on.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
mhsprecher

There is a bit of an upside in that cars that one has always wanted may be coming down in price. Maybe more important than ever to make sure we don't spend too much for what we want.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
HoarseWhisperer

Maybe I am the odd duck here, as I do care what happens to my vehicles after I'm gone.

So much so that I've put my wishes in my will. All my maintenance is to keep them as original as possible and it is my hope that wherever they end up, they will be preserved and appreciated without modifications or rodded.

If they are modified, I will come back to haunt you!

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
raprice

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I guess I'm very lucky in this regard. My two sons have already laid claim to my two vintage autos. My older son really wants my '30 Model A coupe and my younger son has laid claim to my '59 Studebaker. So, as far as my cars are concerned, I don't need to worry about their fate. I'm sure this is a hot topic in all antique auto clubs, but the hobby isn't going away any time soon.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
mike657894

I see a heavy following of young country boys in a group im a part of for 73-87 chevy trucks. I own a 78. I think the following is due to their simplicity and durability, I own my model A due to it being in my grandpas garage when I was young and hiding from my parents. I probably wouldn't be here if the car wasn't in that location. I have been a car nut my whole life. But my focus was the cars and truck in the end of the carbureted pre computerized period (68-87). I am 32 I live in a semi rural area. My friends are gear heads but they own a 78 ford f150 a 85 trans am a 67 camaro 01 camaro ss. And they have no interest in my old car. And when I talk about it they fake interest out of kindness.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
Cornishman

Perhaps we are different in Europe. Mind you our history does go back a long way. Here people are not only interest in 'older' things because they like the familiarity of the things they grew up with but there a real appreciation of art, furniture, architecture and cars from the past. Long may it last.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
Perhaps we are different in Europe. Mind you our history does go back a long way. Here people are not only interest in 'older' things because they like the familiarity of the things they grew up with but there a real appreciation of art, furniture, architecture and cars from the past. Long may it last.
I noticed that when I was in Germany in 1987. It's nice to see countries that appreciate their heritage and preserve it, as well as keep the country spotless clean.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
DougVieyra

I've donated all my Ford Model A's to the Chevrolet Club of America.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #11
William Kelchner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
I've donated all my Ford Model A's to the Chevrolet Club of America.
DUCK !
William Kelchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #12
P.S.

I have heard this same thing for many years.

They key to developing an appreciation of Model A's (and other old cars) is to share them with the youngsters. I don't mean park it at a car show and then stare at anyone who gets too close to it, I mean actually share it.

I do my part- I have taught 2 young people how to drive manual transmission in Model A's. My theory is, if you can drive a Model A, then you can drive anything (with rare exception). One kid whom I taught to drive manual in the A has become so fond of them that he now wants one of his own when he is done with school. If not for all the seat time in my Model A, would he be wanting one today? Unlikely.

Model A's are not fragile. Why not let a kid drive? One of Jack Baum's videos on his YouTube channel shows him teaching his young nieces how to drive in his roadster. Look at the smiles on those kids' faces! (after the terror wears off).

If you let a kid drive your Model A, then good for you.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:45 PM   #13
JJCunningham

As a 30 year old with my grandmother's Model A, I'm thrilled to own and preserve the car in original condition. I know I'm a rare bird, but I wouldn't mind preserving a couple more now that I own a two-car garage!

P.S.: I whole-heartedly agree with you about the need to SHARE the car. I shared my '30 Deluxe Roadster with my 26 year old housemate, Matt, and he actually caught the old car bug! The next weekend, we went down to South Carolina and he bought himself a 1932 Nash Ambassador and already has plans to buy a model A when he gets a chance.

Another mutual friend (Kyle, 24 years old) came with us to pick up the Nash, and ended up buying a '22 Buick 54 Roadster. Again, it's not a Model A (he already owns a '30 Tudor) but for younger members, it really helps to have the hands-on contact with the cars that museums and trailer queens just can't provide.
JJCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #14
Dodge

I'm going to let the investment guys worry about the hobby. Me I'm just going to
enjoy my cars and not worry about it........
I grew up in this hobby and have two of my Dad's cars in my collection.
My two girls enjoy the cars also and want to keep them when its their turn.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #15
denis4x4

So much so that I've put my wishes in my will. All my maintenance is to keep them as original as possible and it is my hope that wherever they end up, they will be preserved and appreciated without modifications or rodded.

I suspect you can make a fortune giving seminars on how you can accomplish this from six feet under!

That said, there will always be a small hard core group of future Model A owners that will keep the flame alive. Prices will go up and down and forums in 2028 celebrating the 100th birthday of the A will still be bitching about the quality of repro parts and wondering why the two national clubs don't combine.

If you were to drop by the HAMB every once in awhile, you would see more passion on maintaining traditional hot rods then you sometimes see here on the subject of keeping A's bone stock.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post

I suspect you can make a fortune giving seminars on how you can accomplish this from six feet under!
Sure! Marry a young woman that will respect your wishes once you're gone and only offer the vehicles to those that I KNOW will not modify them.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #17
ModelAMike1930

My Grandkids all love my model a's and love to ride in them. I will probably leave them to them when I go to the happy hunting ground.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:36 PM   #18
Gold Digger

My grandson is in his second year of college and has never shown an interest at all in my old cars, trucks, dozers and tractors until I asked him to go in to town a few months back with me and I let him drive my 1930 tudor back the 15 miles home. He was so thrilled he called his mom and dad and all of his college friends that night. Now he wants to take one of them back to college but I don't think that's a good idea. Maybe he will stay interested though. I might even remember him in my will.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

My 28 Phaeton was owned by a college guy in the 50's, and it has a lot of small dents to show the party times the car experienced.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #20
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
My 28 Phaeton was owned by a college guy in the 50's, and it has a lot of small dents to show the party times the car experienced.
Priceless!