Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Jim/GA

Exclamation MAFCA Board of Directors Elections

To all MAFCA members on the Ford Barn:

My application to run for one of the open MAFCA Board positions was recently accepted by the current Board. You will soon be receiving a ballot with your annual dues/renewal notice with my name on it. I am asking for your support. Please vote for me and mail it back.

I have been playing around with Model As, on and off over the years, since I was a teen. I remember being encouraged by my Dad and the other members of our local Model A club to read up on everything and to do tech sessions for the group. I learned a lot from those guys. I've always tried to "pass it on".

Working on the old cars probably sparked my interest in engineering, which has been a fun career. I have taken a lot of what I learned on the job about running an organization back into my local MAFCA region in Houston. I would like to continue to do that at the National level. I have no complaints about how things have been run; I just want to offer another perspective on things and help keep the club moving.

I also feel I represent the "next generation" of club members. These are the ones that use the Internet more than my Dad does, such as yourself, are on the Ford Barn, connect through FaceBook, etc. This group is the future of the Club. That's why I am posting this here. I need your help to get elected.

Please read the ballot instructions carefully and follow them exactly so that your ballot is not rejected. Don't delay. Your vote counts. Details here: http://www.mafca.com/

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim Cannon.jpg (51.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Jim/TX; 08-09-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: MAFCA Board of Directors Elections

OKIEDOKIE ....................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
spdway1

What is the "Next Generation"?
I am 38 years old, owned many Model A over the years and currently drive my 29 Closed Cab Pick up 3-5 days a week. I am generally concerned because in my area, no one under 55 cares about Model A's. Our club is dying off, not much interest there anymore...Where do we go from here?
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Arlen

I voted for you today. Got to support my fellow texans. Also voted for Chuck Cheshire. He was the president of my local club last year and would do a great job on the mafca board. He is huge on getting younger people involved with the hobby.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

You got it!
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
BrianBurkert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
What is the "Next Generation"?
I am 38 years old, owned many Model A over the years and currently drive my 29 Closed Cab Pick up 3-5 days a week. I am generally concerned because in my area, no one under 55 cares about Model A's. Our club is dying off, not much interest there anymore...Where do we go from here?
The future of the hobby is very important. I'm 33. There have been several younger members joining our club (20's and 30's). They are very enthusiastic members, and actively participate as families. There is a challenge, though, with the economy and competition with so many other activities. Time and money can be in short supply with young folks.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
newshirt

I'm "new" to the hobby, within the last two years, so everything I'm about to say is probably wrong. It's just my opinion. And probably uninformed at that. Hope I don't offend...

The national MAFCA club is virtually irrelevant in our local chapter in Colorado Springs. That's probably our fault, but I'm just telling what I've observed over the last few years. Very few members belong to the national club, or at least don't talk about it on a regular basis. There are no MAFCA programs that we take part in. They have never spoken at a club meeting in the last two years I've been there. They don't offer assistance for tours, or website, or newsletter, or membership, or anything that I can think of. Nothing. MAFCA is a non-player. Maybe they're not supposed to do any of those things. I'm not sure. I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but I'm just not sure what the national MAFCA club should do for local chapters. Anything? So from a "next generation" perspective, I see no reason to join MAFCA. I don't even know exactly what MAFCA offers. So why would I join? To get a monthly magazine? Maybe... I suppose that's enough reason. But maybe not...

Also, from a newbie standpoint, I don't know why MAFCA and MARC are separate clubs. Do they offer different things? (I doubt it.) I get the feeling that its just petty politics that keeps them apart. I've read threads on fordbarn, and there's no consensus on the issue.

Here's what I wish MAFCA would do (from an uninformed newbie standpoint):
1. Send our local club articles for the newsletter from time to time
2. Offer improvement ideas for our website (I built ours: http://www.pikespeakmodelaclub.com)
3. Send out era fashions info, and encourage dressing for the period
4. Speak at our club once a year
5. Organize and promote a BIG tour for our region once a year
6. Organize and promote a local judging contest for our region once a year
7. Produce and promote a touring class judging standard like MARC
8. Join with MARC
Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Ray, Have you attended a national meet? I feel that is a big part of the national club, and try to attend whenever possible.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Roadster62

newshirt made some interesting points, at 61 I'll add a few of my own for what they may be worth. I got into the hobby in 1961 when Dad got his '31 Roadster, we went to the local HCCA show in town every year, but never joined a National Model A club, got real envolved in AACA, but got totally burned out on that. I like Model A's, will always have one to work on but never found the need to join MARC or MAFCA. I know members of both clubs, enjoy seeing them and their cars, there just isn't a "Got to Join!" reason. Whoever figures that out will see membershio grow. Bob
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
CarlG

Our group is quite unique in that while it is recognized by MAFCA, it is an informal group at best. The "organized" group is an AACA affiliate, the Model A group is sort of a subset of the local AACA chapter and operates within the charter of that group. As others have stated, MAFCA has never had a rep in our area, while AACA typically has a rep here at least once a year. Most of the Model A owners (and there are close to 200 of them in Alaska) belong to AACA, not as many to MAFCA or MARC. I personally belong to all of them, just so I can get the golssy magazine.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Arlen

The biggest thing mafca offers its members is insurance. Every time your club goes out for a drive today, your covered by mafca. Every member of your local clubs board of directors is required to be mafca members, the mafca logo has to appear in your clubs monthly newsletter, and your clubs president is expected to make regular suggestions that membership join mafca. The same is true for marc. If you love the model A, I don't know why you wouldn't want to join both national clubs.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Roadster62

INSURANCE??? That is a reason to join a car club? You lost me on that one. Bob
Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Arlen

I'm the organizer of mafca's 13 national tour so I know what the point of joining a car club is. Thanks though.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Duffy1

I thought you had to be a member of one of the national clubs before you could be a member of one of the local clubs .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
Duffy1

I am a member of GHMARC where Jim/Tx . did a great job as President last year . He will bring a lot of enthusiasm,energy and fresh ideas to the National Level . Jim you have my vote .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #16
MikeK

X'd your little square and mailed today. Being from up north, your hat seems about 9 gallons short for TX, but that's neither here nor there. Up here in Chicago, we keep the dead relatives on the voting rolls. Sorry I didn't keep up their MAFCA memberships. They would have voted for you, too. Good luck!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
Richard in Anaheim CA

I am a member of both national clubs as well as ACCA, VCCA two local clubs and the American Bantam Club. Those who don't join seem to have the attitude "what's in it for me".

Ask not what the club can do for you. but what you *********** You are missing a lot of good times and new friends.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #18
Brian SATX

Am I the only one that has not received the ballots?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #19
1931 flamingo

Haven't seen mine yet either........
Paul in CT

Showed up in this morning's mail.

Last edited by 1931 flamingo; 08-11-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: add info
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #20
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: MAFCA Board of Directors Elections

I'll vote for you Jim. And I sure wish the two national clubs would join together permantely too, newshirt. It just would make so much more sense. In these days of dwindling interest in all old antique cars.
Just my .02 worth.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote