Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
bluesman31

Default Spare parts and tools list

As a new owner, and having been stranded on the side of the road already, I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of basic spare parts and tools to keep in the A when venturing far from home?
bluesman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Spare parts and tools list

I sure don't mean to sound sarcastic but I say this to make you ponder the entire thought. What spare parts and tools do you carry with you in your modern car? Why?? Next question, what spare parts did Model-A owners carry with them when their Model-A was new? Why??

The reason why I said that above is that Murphy's Law will always seem to prevail and you can have a car full of spare parts with you yet still not be carrying what has failed. Also think about this, ...if the spare is in better condition than what is presently on your car, why not go ahead and install that better item to improve reliability??

As far as tools, the Model-A came with a basic yet effective tool kit. If you have each of those tools or a modern equivalent, you can make most roadside repairs. The only two tools that might be added to that "kit" would be a working cell phone and a AAA card for towing.

As a new 'A' owner, I am of the opinion that you should just start driving the car to become aquainted with it (start by around the block jaunts, then venture out further), and also spend time tinkering with it where you are totally familiar with it and this will pay huge dividends in your confidence to make repairs. Also, during your constant tinkering you can "restore" items that are substandard to reinstate reliability. A Model-A was/is VERY reliable when all parts are within factory tolerances. Work to make everything on your car within those factory specifications and you will likely find you won't need to carry spare parts. Good luck and I wish you many happy miles of driving ahead.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
newshirt

Here's one below. You'll run across several more lists as you search the web for Model A related stuff.

http://www.mafca.com/tqa_m_be_prepared.html

I carry much of this stuff, but have not had a breakdown in 5,000 miles (knock on wood). Properly maintained A's are pretty reliable.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with what Brent said. On long trips I strap an extra spare tire on because I'm running on some very old tires. As far as spare parts, I feel the only thing that should leave me dead in the road is if the coil or condenser suddenly failed and I was not close to a town, so carrying a spare coil and a spare condenser might be handy. Lots of people like to carry a spare complete distributor.

As far as the 5 bolt-on's I've rebuilt them and feel they should outlive me. That's the
carb
distributor
water pump
generator
starter

The wheel bearings are clean and repacked, the tranny is rebuilt and full of gear oil, and the rear end is full of gear oil and feels good, so none of these parts concern me as far as being reliable. My old worn temporary engine makes a little noise, but shouldn't leave me dead in the road, so I just drive the same as I'd drive any newer car. As Brent said, get under the car and lube and check every moving part so you know the car and you should have complete confidence in it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
sethkestenbaum

Bluesman,

This is a great and timely question.

I know that I've seen a touring checklist online that includes parts and if I can find it again I will post the link to Ford Barn; however, I admit that I have not picked up all the items on the list for my travels.

I bring with me (or should bring with me) a bag of tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, wire snips, pliers, multi-meter, electrical tape, etc) a bunch of assorted nuts/bolts/pins, some wire, a cut out, a condensor, a point set, distributor cap, a jack and stand, spark plugs, coil, engine oil, 2 gallons of distilled water, headlight bulb. I also keep a bunch of other assorted parts I have collected in a box in the back... and a bar of soap in case I get a fuel leak that needs a quick patch.

On long drives (my first one is planned for next week from NY to Boston) I intend to bring my spare generator and have been told it may make sense to bring a head gasket as well.

I hope this is helpful.
Seth
sethkestenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Richard Wilson

Brent makes a good point about having the best restored and maintained car you can.

I have found that an electrical test meter is very handy to trace minor electrical problems on the side of the road. I like to carry electrical tape, a small roll of 12 ga wire, a set of spark plugs, points, condensor, rotor button, headlight and tailight bulb, and a carb gasket. That and a little knowledge will cover about 95% of roadside repairs.

I know a man that has an extra carb, generator, starter, coil, distributor, plus enough small parts to rebuild most Model A's under his seat at all times. As far as I know he has never needed any of them.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
sethkestenbaum

.... and don't forget the collection of your favorite Model A repair books.
sethkestenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
George Miller

Brent has it right. I carry a condenser, that is about it for me. The more you driver your car the better it will run.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
bluesman31

Talking Re: Spare parts and tools list

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Here's one below. You'll run across several more lists as you search the web for Model A related stuff.

http://www.mafca.com/tqa_m_be_prepared.html

I carry much of this stuff, but have not had a breakdown in 5,000 miles (knock on wood). Properly maintained A's are pretty reliable.

That is a good starting list Ray, thanks.

Why a spare cutout, do they have a tendency to fail? If so how would you know?

I agree that working on and maintaining the car is an important part of the "bonding" process. I have only had the car a week. This car sat over 5 years and I am now best friends with the entire fuel system and its dirty secrets. I was tested yesterday on the side of the road when I was able to remove the Carb and unstick a needle valve and get back on the road in 10 mins flat.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Napa Skip

There are several excellent articles and threads on the subject of what to carry as on-board spares, including the “What to have onboard on a long tour” thread on this forum, some threads in the archives, Bent Wheel Willie’s “On-Board Model “A” Ford Tools, Parts and Supplies” from the Model “A” News and “Bill Brigden’s “What Do I Take With Me On A Road Trip?” from The Restorer.

My own approach to this issue derives from the “if I have it I won’t need it” philosophy, which means (a) I carry a lot of items and (b) I justify it by rationalizing that it will help all the others I tour with since my car will never suffer an on-the-road equipment failure (I can’t believe I said that…).

However, and as others in this thread and the Ford Barn forum have so correctly stated, the best approach to peace-of-mind-while-driving-your-Model-A (which is, imho, the best part of owning a Model A) is to develop some rudimentary mechanical skills and learn as much as you can about how your Model A is constructed and operates. If this is your first Model A and you haven’t done a ‘ground-up’ restoration/rebuild, then some of the construction/operation knowledge is best gained by starting with routine maintenance (principally lubrication and timing/tune-ups). The more you become familiar and at-ease with this routine maintenance, the more likely you will elect (or be forced, as in “Hmmm, THAT doesn’t look right…”) to develop familiarity with more complicated/challenging tasks, all of which will burnish your mechanical skills, rudimentary or not.

For those to whom this appears to be a daunting task, rest assured; it ain’t rocket science. In fact, in many cases, it ain’t even automotive science; a lot of it is just plain common sense. Knowing this, coupled with the fact that these vehicles have weathered (sometimes literally) 81+ years of use, are basic and easy to work on (I’d much rather remove the starter on my 1930 coupe than on my 2011 Ranger, presuming I can ever find it; I know it’s down there somewhere) and have a well-deserved reputation for reliability, you should not fear to venture out – albeit in stages as recommended by Brent in reply #2 – and enjoy your Model A.

Finally (I can hear the sighs of relief) as has been said again and again on this forum, join MARC/MAFCA, read everything you can on Model A’s (there’s a lot out there) and – most importantly – join a local car club, preferably one of the MARC/MAFCA chapters. However, if you find yourself so inclined – as I did when living in Bremerton WA – any antique/classic car club will put you in contact with a wealth of knowledge, others who share your interest in older vehicles, and opportunities to ‘venture forth’ in the company of other Model A’s. Nothing could be finer, not even in North Carolina…

Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Duffy1

Read the threads here related to vapor lock .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman31 View Post
As a new owner, and having been stranded on the side of the road already, I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of basic spare parts and tools to keep in the A when venturing far from home?
Model A Ford Club Restorer Address Book with all MAFCA Members across The USA and World wide, if you carry this on trips you,ll have more tools/parts and help any where you travel.Enjoy the ride! Tires won't fall off!!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #13
mhsprecher

Some good suggestions. I agree that having a well maintained car should be very reliable. I am putting together a collection of parts to carry with me as we speak. It can be good for any problems I have, but also for other owners who may have a problem at a show or on a tour.

I had a failure last year where having some tools and other items helped me get home. One of the ears on the intake manifold broke and so there was only one bolt holding the carb on. With a combination of pieces of a copper clad gasket, RTV and electrical tape, I was able to get back on the road and back home. I was told that the manifold break was caused by my having used the copper sandwich gaskets on the carb, rather than a paper gasket. It allowed for unequal pressure on the manifold, which ended up breaking the ear off. Hard to know for sure, but thankfully I had available to me the materials for a farmer fix to get home. I had a condenser go bad on me once, too. I was close enough to home to go back and get a spare and replace it.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #14
Dick Steinkamp

Another 4 1/2 year old thread brought back to life by the spammer. Not necessarily a bad thing in some cases for those of us that are new to Model A's.

I remember going from Tacoma, WA, to LA and back in my first Model A in the fall of 1965 with a buddy. I think we had a spare, jack, lug wrench, a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter. I had finished putting the car together from good used pieces that spring. No problems. Young, stupid and lucky no doubt.

I'm going to duplicate that drive this summer. I'll bring pretty much the same as I did in 1965 (maybe also a slip joint pliers, a crescent wrench and a screwdriver...oh, and a credit card ).
Old 12-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief used to say, "Carry tools & you'll have trouble"!---He later changed his mind when his '59 Buick carb almost came off & lost a steering box bolt, on OLD ROUTE 66.
Chiefs' Son
Old 12-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #16
1930-fordor

When I first got my model A, I ask about the same question to a fellow that had over 100,000 miles on his car.
His advice to me was carry a spare distributor.
Drop it in your car and set the timing and make sure it runs well. Put it in your box and have it ready.
We told me 99% of break downs will be in the distributor. You can change one in five minutes and get back on the road quickly. When you get back home you can see what went wrong with that one. But no need to sit on the side of the road any longer than you have to.
I did burn up a coil one time, by leaving the in the on position, so now I carry a spare coil.
As far as tools, I do Cary a basic tool box. And every time I get a tool off the rack to work on the car, it goes in the tool box. After a couple of years of working on the car I have accumulated a very complete tool box.
I have complete gasket sets with extra head gaskets and lot of spare parts. I do this for a couple of reasons, I don't hesitate to jump in and drive 1000 miles away from home. And also when our club goes on tour, I may be able to help someone else.
My mind set is one of a boy scout.
1930-fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-fordor View Post
When I first got my model A, I ask about the same question to a fellow that had over 100,000 miles on his car.
His advice to me was carry a spare distributor.
Drop it in your car and set the timing and make sure it runs well. Put it in your box and have it ready.
We told me 99% of break downs will be in the distributor. You can change one in five minutes and get back on the road quickly. When you get back home you can see what went wrong with that one. But no need to sit on the side of the road any longer than you have to.
I did burn up a coil one time, by leaving the in the on position, so now I carry a spare coil.
As far as tools, I do Cary a basic tool box. And every time I get a tool off the rack to work on the car, it goes in the tool box. After a couple of years of working on the car I have accumulated a very complete tool box.
I have complete gasket sets with extra head gaskets and lot of spare parts. I do this for a couple of reasons, I don't hesitate to jump in and drive 1000 miles away from home. And also when our club goes on tour, I may be able to help someone else.
My mind set is one of a boy scout.
I once bought multi-purpose Craftsman tool box from a friend that was BROKE. It has ALMOST everything in it for quickie road repairs, even a coil of BALING WIRE!
When I opened my shop, Chief gave me about 1/2 roll of BALING WIRE, I was EVERYBODYS' FRIEND! when I CLOSED, 9 years later, I gave it to a Friend.
Bill Farmer
Old 12-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #18
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Another 4 1/2 year old thread brought back to life by the spammer. Not necessarily a bad thing in some cases for those of us that are new to Model A's.

I remember going from Tacoma, WA, to LA and back in my first Model A in the fall of 1965 with a buddy. I think we had a spare, jack, lug wrench, a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter. I had finished putting the car together from good used pieces that spring. No problems. Young, stupid and lucky no doubt.

I'm going to duplicate that drive this summer. I'll bring pretty much the same as I did in 1965 (maybe also a slip joint pliers, a crescent wrench and a screwdriver...oh, and a credit card ).

Dick,

There were very few cars on the road in '65. Are you going down I-5 or the 1 & 101? Traffic should be ok until you get to Sacramento then it'll be a nightmare south.

How far south are you going?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #19
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Dick,

There were very few cars on the road in '65. Are you going down I-5 or the 1 & 101? Traffic should be ok until you get to Sacramento then it'll be a nightmare south.

How far south are you going?

David Serrano
Not I5...not these days in a Model A.

Most likely 101-1 to San Luis Obispo where my youngest daughter lives, then back north via 99/97 and over the Cascades on 20.

I did this trip (as far as my son's in San Jose) last summer in my V8 powered MGB...

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3354540
Old 12-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #20
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Not I5...not these days in a Model A.

Most likely 101-1 to San Luis Obispo where my youngest daughter lives, then back north via 99/97 and over the Cascades on 20.

I did this trip (as far as my son's in San Jose) last summer in my V8 powered MGB...

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3354540
Merry Christmas and have a great trip next summer.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote