Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
Skylander

Default Title

I'm in the process of buying what appears to be a 1929 Leatherback Fordor Model A. I'm told the VIN is the engine number. I have not seen the title yet and was wondering what should be on the title. Does the VIN describe the car? I have a truck, 1984, that the title has a model on it that doesn't exist and I'm thinking this title may be from another car or labeled incorrectly.
Skylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Title

Get it in writing that all will be correct or the purchase will be annulled.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
MikeK

The original vehicle identification number is stamped on the frame under the body about where your left foot rests. Some states will require you to remove the body from the frame to verify that number if necessary.

That number originally matched the engine number, but with multiple engine rebuild exchanges over the years the engine number does NOT identify the vehicle, only the frame number.

The 'number' is only a rough month/year sequence of assembly and does not tell anything about the vehicle other than "A" is a car and "AA" is a truck.

If there is question as to a "VIN" defining ownership get a bonded title.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Mulletwagon

Shields Up !! You may be about to enter “Title Hell”. If the VIN on the title does not match a clearly visible number on the car, preferably on the engine block, be prepared to pass: especially if you are looking at a car in another state. Yes, you can go through the drill of lifting the body to see the frame number – but suppose it does not match: and some foreign made Model As have no number on the frame. Normally an out-of-state title will require a law officer or notary agent to validate the VIN. There are exceptions in some states so know the rules before the purchase. IMHO there are many As for sale nation-wide that have no VIN-title issues and can readily be registered in your state without resorting to bonded titles or shadetree number stamping.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
redmodelt

Would be kinda long stretch at this point to think the title was not for this car, unless that is what you were told by the seller if you have not seen it.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
Ted Duke

Skylander,
Check with your state DMV. All states are different.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
holdover

If the car and title is in the same state you live in and you have any questions about it, have the seller go with you to the DMV and do the purchase paperwork there while you get the title changed to your name. The DMV can be difficult to deal with, and why in the world did Henry put the number on the frame where you can't see it. I know titles weren't much of an issue back then in many states, but....
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
ronn

fear and doomers is all I hear on this board concerning titles.............

crazy!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #9
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
fear and doomers is all I hear on this board concerning titles.............

crazy!
I agree.

Millions of cars are traded and sold every year in this country. Titles lost, misplaced, or cars are sold in states that don’t title because of age. Dealers have heard it all, but still work it out. We can to.

Model A’s seem to be in a world all alone as far as title problems go.

I have “never” had a problem registering a Model A. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #10
Chris in WNC

Run the number on the title past the DMV in your state, tell them you are considering purchase and want to make sure there are no red flags on the number.
If that checks out OK, have the seller re-stamp the block to match the title or do it yourself before you apply for your new title.
that's how I would handle this.
do whatever your comfort level permits.
J Franklin's advice above will add a layer of protection....
Old 05-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #11
aermotor

If you have the body off and the engine number matches the body number (or even if they don't match and you have a clear title) have a vin inspector issue a letter to this effect. This should prevent having to remove the body again for states that may be different than yours. You shoud be able to use this as a gospel reference point with future vin inspectors for engine changes that have a different block number. This should keep from having to re stamp the block or lifting the body.

John

Last edited by aermotor; 05-17-2020 at 08:22 AM.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #12
1931 flamingo

Skylander: What State are you in?? You're going to get all kinds of advice but the only advice that pertains to you is what YOUR State's DMV wants/requires. ,The number stamped on the block (beginning with a star and ending with a star) needs to match the number on the title.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
Kevin in NJ

Call you DMV and find out what you will be required to do. You need to find out what both states will need just in case. You do not want any surprises. Plus things change so you want current info. I was buying a boat a bit over a year ago and the advice given for the trailer transfer was wrong as the state had changed the procedures.

As stated first step is engine number must match title, but it can go further as some states will need to see the number on the frame.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
Shelbycsx

I looked at a 31 Tudor, it had a 29 motor and the title had the 29 engine number on it. If the title isn't in the current owners name don't buy it.
Shelbycsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbycsx View Post
I looked at a 31 Tudor, it had a 29 motor and the title had the 29 engine number on it. If the title isn't in the current owners name don't buy it.
Not nesesarily a deal breaker, you can have him get proper title and then transfer it to you.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #16
77Birdman

Good Luck, check with you local DMV, lots of good advice here. In MD, there is no physical verification of vin and car. You take the piece of paper in, sign it over to the dmv and they mail you a new title. Simple as that but you better have all of the information correct. Personally I would never buy an old car without a title. As simple as a transfer is in MD, its next to impossible to get a new title for an old car which doesnt have one!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:34 AM   #17
Skylander

We go Wednesday, tomorrow, to see the car. The person has the car listed as a Cabriolet but the picture is a leatherback. I question the person and he stated it only states "CP" on the title not Cabriolet. So many people don't trust others and you can't get info, not even a phone number. I figured I was going to go a look at the title in person. I live in Ohio and I will have to get it inspected. My father has had troubles with titles in the pass. It appears people would say what they felt and that is what it is titles as and they won't change it. If they didn't title the car in 1929 in that state, we only need a bill of sale and then I can get it corrected on the title. If the VIN doesn't say it is a Cabriolet, I should be good, maybe. CP could stand for Chevy Pusher (lol). We are going to get a Bill of Sale as well just encase.
Skylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #18
rocket1

I'll tell you what,you can get in real trouble trying to register a car with an out of state title or the equivalent.When I was a kid I bought a car from N.Y. state living in Jersey by the time I got all the neccesary paper work I wound up in jail for a day when the car was impounded in N.Y.explained to the JUdge and he was very understanding.I would tread litely when buying a vehicle with questionable paperwork.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #19
redmodelt

The Model A serial/vin number will only tell you when it was made not what type of body was on the car. If the title show CP that may have been standard code for a two door two passenger car.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #20
30 Closed Cab PU

If their is any doubt about teh title, I would not buy it until seller straightened this out, and can provide a good/clear title. Too much bother and possible issues, both now and down the road.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote