Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #1
steve hackel

Default Besides the extension, are 30/31 front fenders the same?

I am not sure, so asking the experienced restorers this question;
besides the short splash extension that is welded to the 1930 front fenders, are the fenders actually the same? Both my splash shields are gone at the running boards, and also at the front fenders extensions. I need to replace the running boards, the splash shields, and also the short extensions; if I just remove the extensions and then repair the fenders at that point, I can just buy the longer 31 splash shields when I buy the running boards and assemble it all as a 1931. Is there anything I am missing from my observations?
Thanks, Steve
steve hackel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Besides the extension, are 30/31 front fenders the same?

Steve,

I have actually done it in the past.

The only difference is on a 30 fender the lip that turns down and is spot welded to the splash apron extensions is just a little shorter than this same turned down part of the 31 fenders that bolt to the splash aprons. The bolt holes on the 30 fender will a little close to the bottom edge of these lips but it will work just fine.

The other problem you may encounter is the body mounting bracket under the cowl was moved back to make more clearance for the fender to apron bolts. It may be a little tight but I believe this will work as is.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
larrys40

Steve
You can make a 30 fender a 31 by adding the bolt flange sheet metal with the elongated holes. Also, if you look at the front of the fenders closely where the crease line is the 30 fender crease ends about an inch or so from the fender edge and a 31 goes to the edge. You can dolly out a 31 to make it a 30 or I have also put the crease in before if this detail is important to you the apron nose section and flange is the most prevalent to the General A person who might not care or detect the other details.
Larry shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 05-09-2020 at 11:23 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
steve hackel

Hi Larry; since my fenders are still on the car (for now) I am not exactly sure which sheet metal flange you are referring to? Would a picture or drawing of the piece xp
o I could start making them Thank, Steve
steve hackel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:29 PM   #5
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve hackel View Post
Hi Larry; since my fenders are still on the car (for now) I am not exactly sure which sheet metal flange you are referring to? Would a picture or drawing of the piece xp
o I could start making them Thank, Steve
Steve
I can’t poat a photo right now but the flange that bolts to the 31 apron is what I’m talking about. Like Chris eluded toady if the 30 fenders have a shorter flange in this area and on a30 isapotwses to the short front nose section apron.
I’ve seen some shorter and some longer so not all 30 fenders were creates equal

To make it longer you have to add a flange piece to it by cutting off the old one or you can leave it and add to it. Make sure your apron fits well in the body work stage.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote