Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Kevin - Illinois

Default Differential Inspection

Opened up the rear end I bought. The oil was black and smelled like the Kentucky Fried Chicken, but I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. I did not see metal shavings, the axles seem pretty good, and the gears seem to be ok. The wire was in place as well. I think I'll replace the bearings though. Seem pretty loose and there is lite pitting on the rollers. Attached a video of the bearings. Gotta go figure out how to get the drive shaft out now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPKjp...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cluster.jpg (56.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Main Gear 1.jpg (46.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Main Gear 2.jpg (61.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Pinion 1.jpg (91.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Pinion 2.jpg (67.9 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Kevin - Illinois; 06-30-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Correction
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Kevin - Illinois

Default Re: Differential Inspection

How can I tell what my ratio is? Number of teeth?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Bob C

This link to Tom Endy's article will tell you everything you need to know.
http://www.ocmafc.org/techarticles/T...0Re-Edited.pdf

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Tom Endy

Kevin:

Go to www.ocmafc.com. On the left of the home page is a menu. scroll down to "tech articles" and click. It will bring up a new menu. At the top is my name. Click on it and it will bring up a list of articles. Scroll down to the one about differential rebuilding and click. This is a very detailed document with photos that should walk you through.

You can download it and print it out. There is no copy right.

Count the number of teeth on the ring gear and on the pinion. Divide the smaller number into the larger. The standard is a 3.78:1 ratio. 34 teeth on the ring, 9 teeth on the pinion.

Good luck with your project. be sure to replace the races along with the bearings. Relace the seals as well.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
TinCup

How did you come out on the motor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin - Illinois View Post
Opened up the rear end I bought. The oil was black and smelled like the Kentucky Fried Chicken, but I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. I did not see metal shavings, the axles seem pretty good, and the gears seem to be ok. The wire was in place as well. I think I'll replace the bearings though. Seem pretty loose and there is lite pitting on the rollers. Attached a video of the bearings. Gotta go figure out how to get the drive shaft out now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPKjp...ature=youtu.be
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Kevin - Illinois

The problem wasn't in the motor or transmission from what we can tell. The knock I heard with the rear end disconnected was timing. The only thing left is the rear end. Another poster had the same problem I did, replaced the rear end and the 3rd gear knock stopped. See the last post in the attached thread...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ighlight=knock
Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
columbiA

The gears look very good & with new brgs & seals you are not likely to wear it out in your lifetime,even if you are young.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
28ACoupe

The bearings look like they have about the same amount of slop as the new ones I put in the coupe. However, if they are pitted at all, replace them. Be sure to replace the races as well or you will have the rear end apart again soon.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Brentwood Bob

Clean every thing real good. Endy's procedures detail the work ahead of you. If a friend has the mitchell puller for the pinion use it, otherwise you will need the types of tools Endy has developed. I would look at using a bottle jack in the banjo to press out the pinion as a good way to ruin a perfectly good banjo. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin - Illinois View Post
The problem wasn't in the motor or transmission from what we can tell. The knock I heard with the rear end disconnected was timing. The only thing left is the rear end. Another poster had the same problem I did, replaced the rear end and the 3rd gear knock stopped. See the last post in the attached thread...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ighlight=knock
For your sake, I sure hope your right. To me, that makes no sense whatsoever, but, I'm no Einstein. Wishing you the best possible outcome, you deserve it.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Clean every thing real good. Endy's procedures detail the work ahead of you. If a friend has the mitchell puller for the pinion use it, otherwise you will need the types of tools Endy has developed. I would look at using a bottle jack in the banjo to press out the pinion as a good way to ruin a perfectly good banjo. Bob

Some of the early "how to" books recommended using a bottle jack to push the double race out of the banjo. This is definately not a good idea. During the early days of my learning curve rebuilding differential\rear axle housings I bent a banjo into a slight oval while pressing a double race into place. I had the banjo sitting flat on the press. If you oval a banjo the bolt holes in the axle housing will not line up. I was surprised at easily the bano bent.

That is why in my dissertation article I explain and show photos of the method I use to press in a new double race. I hang it over a platform on the press where I can back up the the back of the race inside the banjo. I use an old race I took out of a rebuild job.

If you do not have a press you can obtain a length of threaded stock and cut it into six pieces about six inches long. Screw them into the flange on the banjo. Start the new race by tapping it into place with a brass hammer. You can make up a steel plate, or better yet cut the end off of an old unserviceable torque tube. Pull the new bearing into place by putting nuts on the six threaded stubs and pull the new race into place by tightening the nuts evenly.

For pulling an old race out of a banjo I cut an old unserviceable drive shaft to about a foot long and mounted an unserviceable pinion gear with one old bearing installed. I mount the banjo in a wood vice, slip the tool though the race I want remove and attach my pulling tool onto it.

Tom Endy

Last edited by Tom Endy; 07-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Kevin - Illinois

I'm seriously considering leaving the drive shaft and pinion in place as the pinion looks perfect and there is no play in anything. I lack the tools to do this work, and I'm apprehensive on my lack of experience.

One thing I noticed straight off was the lack of shims on both sides of the banjo. I keep reading about .010 and .060 in use but there was nothing in this one and this rear end had not been opened in years. Also, it didn't appear to be leaking at all and it had oil in it.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
1931 flamingo

The "shims" ARE the gaskets. Surely there were gaskets there on both sides of the banjo?? Otherwise tou would have had leaks., IMO. Please keep us updated,
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
midgetracer

The oil was black and smelled like the Kentucky Fried Chicken.
I wonder what kind of oil was in your differential. When old 600W gets on my hands it smells bad for many washings. Either you have special oil, or your Kentucky Fried is really bad. I never think food when I do transmission or differential work.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
FL&WVMIKE

Kevin - Illinois .....................
"FRIED" is not a good word, anymore. That is why KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN has changed their name to KFC.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote