Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #521
alan

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

up here in SC the flathead driving weather is great. Drove our 40 Woodie to Tom Cotters party in NC, drove about 300 miles with no mechanical problems, just a front seat that is slipping or something. Wish my schedule would permit me to be at the Barner's Bash at the Moonshiner's reunion-well next year is always an option!!
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #522
Vic Piano

Chuck, Steve (Steve46) suggested the same thing about the lower hose. I was watching them (looking for leaks) before I shut the engine off, and they were both fine however, that doesn't mean that a blockage hasn't happened. When I get back from Georgia next week I'll delve into the cooling system on the '53.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #523
Vic Piano

Alan, that sounds like a nice road trip. Too bad you can't make it to the Moonshine Festival, I'd like to meet you and see your '40. Vic
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #524
oldford2

Vic
"We pulled the thermostat housing off the driver’s side to discover that the thermostat was closed and non functioning. I had another thermostat and some gaskets in the glove box (lucky for a change). "

By the time it took to drain coolant below the housing and remove the housing, the thermostat would have cooled enough to close. Check in a pan of water and use Sherri's meat thermometer to see when it is opening. I don't think it is the radiator or both sides would run hot. Leave the thermostat out and try it. As 41Ford said, maybe/probably a hose problem. Is the left bank exhaust free? You didn't back into something and put a crimp in the tailpipe causing an increase in back pressure?
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #525
Vic Piano

Hi John,

The thermostat was shot. The radiator upper tank was empty when I removed the housing. I disconnected the housing hose at the radiator and when I took it off, water was still in the hose above the thermostat. I think the thermostat is only part of the problem, I’m guessing that there is a blockage in the water passages on the left side. When I get home from the Moonshine Festival I'll flush the radiator and the block to see if that helps.

Vic
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #526
37 Coupe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This reminds me of an incident a little over twenty years ago with my 53 F-100. Fresh rebuild on the 8RT engine and NOS Genuine Ford thermostats in the box but tested before installing. Brand new Edelbrock aluminum heads. As you said I had the original temp gauge and senders and an auxilairy mechanical one,temperature shot up after only a short trip,thermostat failed shut or failed to open,warped the left side head,bought new ones to not have an issue with a used warped head. Had issues from then on,overheating, head gaskets etc. This is why I am paranoid about running thermostats in my 59AB that I only drive in the summer anyway. I also will never run aluminum heads again,should have left that part stock.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #527
Vic Piano

Yup, the way I look at it; it's just another day to play. Flatheads are a lot like women, no two act the same way twice, but I love em just the same.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #528
37 Coupe

I will add on my above post that I was also using a NOS Genuine Ford radiator right out of the heavy cardboard box that with a Redi-Strip cleaned engine block should never had an overheating problem. Trying to stress what problems can occur with thermostats in a flathead. Never ever worry about them in anything else.Wish I could find ones for my 59AB that fail open. The radiator that I bought NOS was from an Early V8er from here in Ohio,he just passed away.Mort Burton from Vandalia,he sure had the NOS parts.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #529
KGS

Sorry to hear of Mort Burton's passing. We always had great "Flathead" disscussions during the Fall Meet at Hershey. KGS
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #530
flatmotor40

I don't run thermostats anymore runs cooler without them.Had trouble with them overheating all the time with them.So I took them out
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #531
Vic Piano

I'm going to remove the thermostats from the '53 F-100 and flush the block and radiator when I get back from the Moonshine Festival. Hopefully that'll fix the problem.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #532
Speedy Canuck

I've enjoyed reading through this. Thanks for sharing your progress!

"Now you listen to me young man ... There'll be no hopped up jobs around here"
Speedy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #533
Vic Piano

Thanks, we're not done yet so stay tuned!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:04 AM   #534
Vic Piano

One thing is for sure... there's never a dull moment when you drive Flatheads! Once we get home from the Moonshine Festival I'll have work to do on the '53 Panel Truck as well as the '39 CS (she developed a starter problem here in Georgia yesterday)... The fun just keeps on keepin' on... But, I wouldn't have it any other way... I love (hate) Flatheads.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 AM   #535
Vic Piano

Now that we're home from the Mountain "Barner's Bash" & Moonshine Festival, it's time to get back to work/play on some Flatheads. I've got to flush out the cooling system on the '53 F-100 Panel and get back to work on the Zephyr transmission...
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #536
Vic Piano

Unfortunately, we got nothing done on the Zephyr or the '53 F-100 this weekend... I did wash the '39 CS and clean off the Georgia red clay residue that had collected on the undercarriage during the trip up to and back from the Moonshine Festival. Now, with the holiday season fast approaching, I doubt that we'll have much time to devote to working/playing with Flatheads for a while.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #537
Vic Piano

This morning Chuck Stevens came over to my garage for a visit before he heads back up north for Thanksgiving. Don showed up as well and we spent several hours bench racing and never turned a wrench... Oh well, we had fun and that's what counts... The cars will still be here for next weekends play-time. Thanks to Chuck for stopping by, we'll see you in February for the 2013 Florida "Barner's Bash" if not sooner.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #538
37 Coupe

Wow.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #539
Vic Piano

Bucket List...

This Saturday a local car club is meeting at my friend Milt's house. Milt has an outstanding collection of Model T's, and earlier Ford cars. Last year he drove one of his T's in the reenactment of the New York to Seattle race in (I don't remember the year... CRS). I've always liked Model T's however; I've never owned or driven one. Well, this Saturday, I'll get the chance to drive a Model T... I'm really looking forward to driving one and now I can cross off another item on my bucket list...
Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #540
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Bucket List...

This Saturday a local car club is meeting at my friend Milt's house. Milt has an outstanding collection of Model T's, and earlier Ford cars. Last year he drove one of his T's in the reenactment of the New York to Seattle race in (I don't remember the year... CRS). I've always liked Model T's however; I've never owned or driven one. Well, this Saturday, I'll get the chance to drive a Model T... I'm really looking forward to driving one and now I can cross off another item on my bucket list...
You just need to imagine driving one Vic. That would be better than having actual knowledge of how they drive. ROFLMSAO

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote