Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
Karl

Default 1934 Missing -Covering My Bases

My 1934 has developed a miss at prolonged highway speed I'm working my way through it but would like some help form the collective wisdom here

First of all stock 6V 1934 Ford New Battery , Skips Coil, Original set up everything except Instead of a 20 Amp glass fuse has a thermal cut out installed as the fuse mounts were a little corroded so we just bypassed that with the thermal cut out . Also running a Mike Driscoll rebuilt 3 bolt distributor with later internals installed. New Fuel pump again rebuilt by Mike Driscoll with glass bowl Recently had the gas tank out and cleaned it out and re-coated with POR 15.

The problem - intermittently missing seems to be at higher speeds. It really feels like a fuel issue with the car surging . On occasions it will die completely but will restart instantly and run perfectly following this . When it is missing the ammeter registers a perfect steady charge . Yesterday it did it and I drove through it largely -after about 10 mins it was still doing it occasionally and i pulled over . Restarted the engine and it was fine . It can not occur for 50 miles and then do it There is never any problem with starting

What I have done - Initially I felt sure it was POR 15 flaking off the inside of the tank causing a fuel problem -Indeed I did find a few silver threads in the glass fuel pump bowel so I figured that was the problem -So I installed a fuel line filter but the problem has continued .

Now working on the assumption that 90% of fuel problems are electric and the fact that it seems to occur only at higher speed I am wondering if the problem is related to either the thermal overload switch or the resistor with heating up -The fact that it comes right immediately when I turn the car off and and restart to me suggests the fuel is less likely. Of course the coil and the condenser could be at fault but have all been changed in the last 6 months . My plan is to change out the fuse and resistor initially.

Any other ideas ?

Karl