Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
Dick Carne

Default Source for Powder Coating near Atlanta

The last few cars that I have restored I have used Performance Coatings in Jonesboro to powder coat wheels, chassis parts, etc. I called them a few minutes ago to check on their current pricing for wheels, and was quoted $100/wheel with me supplying the powder. Would anyone be able to recommend some good quality powder coaters near the metro Atlanta area that might be less pricy? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts and recommendations.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Source for Powder Coating near Atlanta

How much are you wanting/expecting to pay??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
Dick Carne

Hi Brent -

The last set that I had powder coated (Performance Coatings in Jonesboro, GA) was at $65/wheel with them supplying the powder (black at that time for my Town Sedan). This time however, when I checked on pricing, their quote was at $100/wheel with me supplying the powder (I have Hessian Blue and Tacoma Cream from "Model A Wheel Colors" for a SW fordor and SW Cabriolet) - just wasn't quite prepared for a 50% price increase on these. Potentially this would represent a minimum of 12 wheels, but I also have a Mullins Trailer that I was planning to have a pair of matching wheels done for this one as well - revised total of 14 wheels. Apparently the quote was not affected by the number of wheels to be done. I had also considered possibly doing another 6 wheels for another future roadster project, but not at these prices. I'm thinking that painted wheels may be in my future once these are done?!?
Old 09-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

$100-$125 per wheel is pretty normal now days.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Carne View Post
Hi Brent -

The last set that I had powder coated (Performance Coatings in Jonesboro, GA) was at $65/wheel with them supplying the powder (black at that time for my Town Sedan). This time however, when I checked on pricing, their quote was at $100/wheel with me supplying the powder (I have Hessian Blue and Tacoma Cream from "Model A Wheel Colors" for a SW fordor and SW Cabriolet) - just wasn't quite prepared for a 50% price increase on these. Potentially this would represent a minimum of 12 wheels, but I also have a Mullins Trailer that I was planning to have a pair of matching wheels done for this one as well - revised total of 14 wheels. Apparently the quote was not affected by the number of wheels to be done. I had also considered possibly doing another 6 wheels for another future roadster project, but not at these prices. I'm thinking that painted wheels may be in my future once these are done?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post
$100-$125 per wheel is pretty normal now days.

I agree with Mickey.

Labor costs, production/overhead costs, -and the economy in general are all up over what it was a few years ago. Labor costs in some areas are up as much as 25% on skilled laborers, and all the costs associated with operating a business are up, ...and when a shop is good at what they do and they have all the business they can handle, it is easier for them to quote work at a higher rate. While you said painting may be in your future, labor costs of sanding & painting along with material costs are up too, so powder-painting still may be the most economical way for you to go.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Oldbluoval

Paint ‘em
But I’m the anti-powder coat guy!!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:02 AM   #7
Dick Carne

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts and input. I have found several folks on the outskirts of town who have intimated that they might consider something in the $75-$80/wheel pricing depending on the number of wheels. Since I already invested in the powder from Model A Wheel Colors, I think that this may be my best option at this point. My roadster and touring car both have painted wheels, so I will probably go back to painting wheels and running gears after this. I’ve done four cars with powder-coated running gears and I like the fact that powder coating seems to wear better than paint, but on the other hand, I think that I can probably get a much smoother finish with paint. At my age, I won’t be re-restoring these cars again. Again I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and comments.