Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
WHITEY

Default 1932..."V8"...Engine...

Hello,I was wondering if anyone could provide any helpful info on the 1932... "V8"...Engine. I would be looking for service manuals or 32 specific rebuild books. I would be interested in knowing about any early "V8" Flathead shops, or guys who have done the rebuilds. Any reccomendations for parts sources and your advice is appreciated. I still need a carb kit, and some other small pieces, have alot of reading yet to do.

Thanks guys

Can anyone I.D. the fuel pump set up?

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-08-2010 at 10:10 AM.
WHITEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: 1932..."V8"...Engine...

The 32,33 and 34 sevice manuals are good sources. The fuel pump diaphrams from new pumps can be used in the 32 pumps. There are some strange things in the engine. No cam bearings although mine has one in the rear journal and none in the others. You may find the one piece valves and lifters and maybe the guides without keepers. The cam is steel instead of cast if ginnie. All normal 21 stud rebuild procedures are the same. Someone sells the rebuild kits for the Det.Lub. carbs.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Here is a link for you Detroit Lubricator Carb.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...1932-2_jpg.htm
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
jimTN

You should get a copy of the 32-7 Service Bulletins to start with and a copy of the Canadian repair manual that covers up to the 40s, it has much good info in it.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

I think theres only 1 person in the country that has kits for the carb and there not cheap by any means. Same on FP. you could try Jim Kroll 1-440-259-5466. hes the 32 man [nice guy]. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
WHITEY

Oh man thanks guys ...Im on the service manuals, and Andy, I for sure will have a ton of questions when I tear into the bottom as well....The Detroit lubricator link is just what I was looking for tonite,Thank you Jdl... Going to order up the service manuals this week Jim, thanks...and Ken, thank you for your advice and help with the contact info man...

Its a start...The engine is free...turns by hand..

D.L. carb...

Dry and clean...

Oily and gunky...

Looks good though...

Looks like a well ran engine...

Clean...has some decent wear.

40 over...?

The break down...

D.L....free and clean...we will see.

Intake is in O.K. shape...

Heads are not matching...but look useable...

clean with little to no pits...

Just a little progress.
[

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-13-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
X38

I hope you've got the new 32 books from the Early Ford V8 Club, they're chock-a-block with information.
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
WHITEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
I hope you've got the new 32 books from the Early Ford V8 Club, they're chock-a-block with information.
I do X38...they are REALLY packed full of info...and so many changes in just a short period...REALLY was an amazing time...
Thanks.

I had though though that the fuel pump was from a later V8 ...BUT after a little more searching I believe it to be the later 32 "TALL" version...

What are the bore limits with these V8, the engine is already at 40 over and I am just thinking ahead.

Thank you guys for the help...

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-10-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
X38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEY View Post
I do X38...they are REALLY packed full of info...and so many changes in just a short period...REALLY was an amazing time...
Indeed!
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Walt Dupont--Me.

I wouldn't go over .060 overbore. The walls were pretty thin in the early engines. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
c-gor

Suggest you call Lynn Stringer.

Lynn has restored about 6+ 1932'2 and currently has a few. He is a member of the V-8 Club and can be contacted at [email protected].

I have found him to be a valuable resource
c-gor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
WHITEY

Hey thanks c-gor...

Kinda put this one on hold....

my coupe was chopped so using an original block seemed wastefull.

just squireled it away

now looking like I may let it go...
Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
JimOH

Whitey, Hi
I don't have any more Detroit Lubricator rebuild kits but WWW.rennerscorner.com has all kinds of rebuild kits. I would try them for your needs, check out the on-line catalog. They also have a contact number for any specialty items you may need. Give them a try. My best to you, Jim
JimOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
David J

Talking Re: 1932..."V8"...Engine...

33 fuel pumps are the same as late 32's - see pic of a 33 . Like Andy stated the diaphram from a later pump works fine you just have to take the riveted on metal stuff off . Yours will bolt together . These are pretty simple pumps and are easy to fix if not all corroded . Last 2 I did needed diaphrams and bowl gaskets only . Your valve guide - spring setup has already been changed to the 34 - up style so that isn't an issue . On the cam bearing thing I have only had a couple 32 blocks but I have quite a few 33-34 blocks and NONE have cam bearings . Good Luck David J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The 32,33 and 34 sevice manuals are good sources. The fuel pump diaphrams from new pumps can be used in the 32 pumps. There are some strange things in the engine. No cam bearings although mine has one in the rear journal and none in the others. You may find the one piece valves and lifters and maybe the guides without keepers. The cam is steel instead of cast if ginnie. All normal 21 stud rebuild procedures are the same. Someone sells the rebuild kits for the Det.Lub. carbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2471.jpg (111.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by David J; 04-17-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Remove inaccurate info
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
Brian

David J, You state-"MAKE SURE the left bank pistons are installed with the front towards the rear . Some piston sets will have " front R " on them but yours don't . The last 3 motors I have taken apart had the pistons all in with the front to the front and with T-slot pistons this isn't a good idea . IE the left bank pistons were all in upside down . In your one pic it looks like you have this issue ".
I must query this. Surely, installing pistons in backwards places the 'T' slot on the thrust side of the cylinder. It doesn't matter which bank, the thrust is always on the same side.
Sorry to hi-jack the thread , hopefully some of our respected engine builders on here will step in and give their opinions. Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #16
Charlie ny
BANNED

Whitey,
What KEN CT says......Jim Kroll is THE '32 guy. Jim resides in
Perry Ohio.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
Walt Dupont--Me.

The slot in the piston faces the feft fender (drivers side) the solid side of the piston faces the right fender (passenger side) in other words the right bank of pistons 1-2-3-4 solid side faces the right fender- the left bank 5-6-7-8 solid side of piston faces the valve springs or right fender. On a right hand rotating engine the thrust always faces the right side of the engine. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #18
David J

Brian and Walt , You mean da SLOTZ not bout oil kontrol ? Anyway when you think about it of course you're right . Good catch as we don't need anyone other than me having to examine the wrist pins on a left bank . Thankfully only the car in my avitar is like this as I used to use non-slot pistons but I didn't have anymore in this size . I only do my own motors and all machinework is farmed out to the local race engine shops as I know them from racing days . I'M SURE I will get a real good dose of harassment when I tell em bout this flash of brilliance . If anyone is interested in the results of an un-scientific test on installing the left bank pistons with the slot up it runs fine and makes no noises { piston related } and has been driven 460 miles with 2 oil changes . Oil looked fine . I DON'T reccomend anyone else trying this though unless you want to practice tearin yer stuff down fer no reason . Knowledge is good but it stings once in a while . Tanks fer da info gize . David J
David J is offline   Reply With Quote