Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2022, 06:22 AM   #1
john charlton

Default July 4th

A happy and safe celebration to you all and to my many distant cousins in Butler and Carbondale PA . You never know it is a small world and one might be a "barner" !!!

John in sunny morning Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:21 AM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: July 4th

Happy back to cousins in the UK. My Brit ancestor Maj. Greg Clement, parliamentarian to Charles I, sent his 2 sons down to the wharf and on to America after regicide
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:33 AM   #3
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
A happy and safe celebration to you all and to my many distant cousins in Butler and Carbondale PA . You never know it is a small world and one might be a "barner" !!!

Seems as if we got off to a bit of a bad start with you chaps from across the pond in 1776 and again in 1812 but since then the UK and USA have been staunch allies through the best of times and the worst of times. Thanks for wishing us a happy birthday. Cheers.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #4
nkaminar

We are going to walk down the street to the country club and watch the fireworks. We will bring our lawn chairs. No Model A activity planned.

Good time to remember what is important. Fireworks, fireworks, fireworks, plus a hot dog and beer.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:45 AM   #5
jb-ob

Mother was a Brit who was a correspondent working for the Americans at 'Yank' magazine during WW ll.

She managed to come to America in 1946, becoming a citizen. In late 1947 she was one of the first recipients of America's newest, highest civilian award, The Medal of Freedom from President Truman.

Then I arrived to 'liven things up'.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
You never know it is a small world and one might be a "barner" !!!

Oh you can count it. I did the ancestry dna and it had amazing results,, first I find I am the white devil, responsible for all the planets problems,,,,,,,,,. I’m mainly from England, Scotland, Ireland but there are small amounts of other areas included. If you go back 6 generations you have 128 grandparents. Just using my mothers maiden name and fathers last name (direct lines) we have the person who wrote the ode to Anne Boleyn (mothers side) and the “illegitimate” son of Henry VIII on my dads side. Many of you here are in that tree also. Dont take this as me bragging because I’m not as the world is so much smaller than I had thought. Many, many, many of you are my cousins., like it or not.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:15 AM   #7
kbinde2

My father currently resides in Rock Hill SC, celebrating 101 years on the 4th.!
During Covid (social distancing), a fine group from the area did a "drive-by" to help celebrate his 100th. What a great memory for his day.!
Where Model A people gather, it's sure to keep friendships and memories for years to come.. Thank you "Barners".!
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #8
Jim Brierley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Seems as if we got off to a bit of a bad start with you chaps from across the pond in 1776 and again in 1812 but since then the UK and USA have been staunch allies through the best of times and the worst of times. Thanks for wishing us a happy birthday. Cheers.

We would probably be even closer if we spoke the same language!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #9
Brentwood Bob

We have a huge amount to be thankful for. Thanks John, wish I had visited Hitchen where I was born in April of 1945. Got a rough idea of the Dales from the All Creatures series. My moms uncle was a dentist there. Great Britian took time and grit to recover from WWII. Canned meat was in the packets mom sent back for years. Books and chocolates came back.
Cheers.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:36 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

I too, am enjoying the time I spend on Ancestry.Com. Seems that in addition to my 60% Irish heritage I am a Scot descending from a couple of clan Lairds going back to the 13 century. Names available on request. Then there's that bunch from Leicestershire, The Hortons, the Bosworths, the Terrys, The Hallocks etc. Found out I had three relatives on that boat that left Plymouth in 1620, The Cooks, The Warrens, Mr Bradford. Later, One relative, Thomas wentworth (sp ?) was declared to be a witch in Salem and hung over it. In another twist of fate, a guy named Albrect Zabriskie (1st Polish family in America) Married the daughter of a Vanderlinde (Dutch) and injected some Polish DNA into the mix and was notable for being the cousin of Jan (John) Sobieski the third, King of Poland who kicked the Turks (Suleyman) out of Vienna. Not a bad find, yeah? Another is our Hughson relatives, Not too many folks know about the New York uprising of 1741.John Hughson and his wife were hung as being the instigators. I believe it was their son, John, who commanded his own regiment against the British in 1776 in Morris Co.. Also were 17 members of the Condit family. Yes, I could go on But it's been fun learning these facts.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:11 PM   #11
mhsprecher

We just got back from the UK. Visited old family at cemeteries in Manchester area and the Scottish clan castle remains near Dryman in the Glasgow area/Loch Lomand. U.S. history is simple compared to the UK.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Maybe you guys did get off to a rocky start with the English in 1776 but we are happy about it all. The first fleet of English settlers landed here on 20th January, 1778. England needed somewhere to send their naughty ones and America was no longer an option. The first settlement nearly failed because they tried doing things the same as they did in England but it didn't work here.
Enough history now. Happy 7/4 to you all.

Last edited by Synchro909; 07-05-2022 at 06:32 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:19 PM   #13
Clem Clement

My Model 30 A 'Smokey' did her first parade since 2019 due to the covid. She (and I) were glad to be out. My cataract eye operations were a fine success and I am allowed to work on cars again. We had 6 model A's in the Fairfax City parade

Mother's family (Borden) were from Borden, UK
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:27 PM   #14
ETAModel

We had a "Cotton Shower" both yesterday and this morning. Now it's 101 and humidity near 30%. Situation normal for North Texas.

My Fordor has an exhaust leak that I need to fix. But she's still lots of fun to drive, when it's not 100°.
I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:29 AM   #15
Keith

Worcester County Model A's turned out 10 A's for the Rutland Parade. Rutland, MA celebrated 300 years as a town. We took the sedan and also go the roadster out after 5 years sitting in the back of the garage, New battery and it fired right up. Keith (MA)