Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
J Franklin

Default Transmission w/no output

A friend has a transmission that was working and now does not output ANY power. I have been looking at my reference and haven't spotted any possible culprits except the clutch disc drum set screw. Does this have potential to shear or stop power output? Thanks for any info.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:27 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Transmission w/no output

When and what is it doing this, need more info. The drum is also keyed to the shaft, it would take a real amount of force to shear the key and set screw. Is it slipping in high? The clutch would be out of the picture in low or reverse as the clutch is disengaged in low and reverse.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:37 AM   #3
J Franklin

He says there is no output in low, high, or reverse. He has a Warford and the Ford transmission is not moving the Warford gears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post-card-gass.jpg (46.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-02-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
Royce P

It's some sort of massive failure that is not going to be repairable with the engine in the car. Time to remove the engine / transmission and disassemble to see what happened. Warfords are known to cause crankshaft failure on a fairly regular basis, it would not be out of the question to have the crankshaft flange sheared at the third main or something similar.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
rotorwrench

The brake drum shaft key as was mentioned, transmission shaft flange, or maybe a driven (sun) gear failure. If the crank flange sheared then the flywheel would be free and might do some major damage. At the other end, it could be a rear drive failure of shaft or differential. A rear axle can also fail and lose drive due to the differential action. The Warford geabox could also have some sort of failure.

If it doesn't move at all then something in the main drive line has broken for sure. Someone will have to troubleshoot the drive line and see what doesn't move from an input of movement that should make it move. I would start with the easiest thing first although nothing may be all that easy.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
J Franklin

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I thank you all for the input and also think it will need to come out for examination. I will post findings when we see what's up. What was baffling was the fact everything seemed to rotate looking thru the inspection cover, but not turning the Warford gears,
Old 11-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
Jack Innes

It sounds like the connection between the T & the Warford may have failed. It might be a good idea to remove the top of the Warford to see if its input shaft is rotating. If that is the problem it may be repairable without removing the engine assembly.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
redmodelt

Try this; with the Warford in gear and car one side jacked up, T transmission in high. What happens when you turn the rear wheel? or you could do the same thing with the car on the ground and just rolled. What do you see with the inspection cover off, does the engine want to turn? How does he know the gears in the Warford are not turning? Even my original 3 speed Warford does not make a lot of noise when in neutral. If the output shaft is turning, then unless there is a disconnect between it and the Warford, the input shaft and cluster gears in same should be turning.

Another idea; with the car on the ground parking brakes set, Warford in gear, transmission in high, try cranking the engine (hand crank) and watch the output shaft, drums and flywheel.

Are you sure the Warford is sifted into gear? Maybe the pin on the shaft is sheared and the fork(s) is/are not moving.

Which Warford is it? Cast iron or aluminum 3 speed, aluminum 2 speed or modern? if it's the cast iron 3 speed, does it have the proper coupling u joint between it and back of the transmission or was it just bolted on?
Old 11-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
J Franklin

I'll try to get him to come and join this thread and answer what I cannot. Good ideas all.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #10
J Franklin

Well my friend got busy and found the no go trouble. It turned out it was the drive plate square hole was wallowed out and the input shaft to the Warford was rounded enough that there was no true coupling left. He will have some more disassembly until it gets repaired!
Old 11-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
redmodelt

Here is my take; Bet someone bolted the cast iron 3 speed on without the coupler that goes in between. The square on the cast iron 3 speed Warford transmission input shaft is smaller then the hole in the Ford output shaft. The CI 3 speed used a Model T U joint in a housing there. Over time the two parts kicked each other around till both let go. ?
Somewhere I just got an output shaft that has a shim in it, bet someone had done just that, mounted the CI three speed with out the coupling.
Engine is going to have to come out to make repairs as well as the Warford. Bummer!