Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
Jedediah

Default Buying a Model T

I am a Model A fellow, rather well aqauinted with them and such, but have as of late been interested in getting a Model T. I see many people asking many various prices for Model Ts in various states of repair, but rarely see what they actually sell for. So, could any of you more experienced than I give a foggy idea of what running and driving Model T's (post brass era) are typically selling for lately? (I am looking for a decent driver, not a show car or the likes, but something that is at or close to operational)
Jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Buying a Model T

$6-8k could get you a nice driver I bet.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
39portlander

T's are really a three season vehicle, summer especially look for a touring model preferably with a ruckstell. My Fordor is an original car from Pennsylvania and hope to get it on the road this spring.

T's in our area are between 7 and 11, with claims of "ran before storing it several years ago" There should be several chapters in your area with MTFCA, someone probably has a lead or two on what you might be looking for.

I am 5'9" and on the thinner side of life and getting in and out of my fordor is not always easy, big difference in driver side room compared to an A. Being an A guy you may want a 26-27 with wire wheels, good luck and let us know how you make out.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #4
fordwife

J. Franklin has it about right for our neck of the woods[WA state] 2years I saw a pretty nice 24 touring go for 8k, It was a strong #3 condition in my opinion. As everywhere else, prices haven't gone up much lately,
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
Jedediah

Well thank you all for your imput, 'yall have been very helpful. Ill let you all know when I do find a T.
Jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #6
redmodelt

Sent you an email.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
ronn

depends more on body style- nice 2 door sedans can be had for 4k.

tourings and roadsters a bit more.

center door coupes up there with the tourings..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #8
Wick

Find a T that's on the road going on tours and trips. These will have been gone over from front to back and in great mechanical condition. Whenever I buy a T that's been sitting they all seem to need.....
Tires,coils,front end rebuild,bands,wiring,axle seals,grease cups cleaned. Fun ez work to make it a nice driver. I just picked up a very nice 23 runabout for less then 4k three weeks ago. In September I picked up a 24 touring car that's ready to drive anywhere (with top and curtains ) for a little over 3k
The market is soft right now.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
JoeBauer

I think prices tend to be soft in the fall as people decide they do not want to garage their car for the winter.

And prices tend to be soft overall because so many older people own several T's which hit the market when they stop driving. If the children don't want them they are just something that has to go. These cars often sit for a few years, then get auctioned.

Plus, the cost of repair is high. One has to learn to do most maintenance themselves, but a properly rebuilt engine and transmission usually requires a machine shop. Original crankshafts typically have a lot of metal fatigue and although maybe good for a parade or occasional putting around, they are prone to breaking. More and more rebuilders are using a SCAT crank which is new and not prone to breaking, but they start around $1,600.

Deals are out there, especially this time of year, but if you buy a car that needs an engine rebuilt or a Ruckstell installed the costs mount fast.

I also suspect that Wick got a couple of great deals, not the norm...
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
Ed in Maine

Hello Jedediah, I was in your shoes in 2006. I was restoring a 1932 Coupe and had nothing to drive. I watched for Ts on the internet and found a 1914 Touring Car that was used for tours in my state in Maine. It was an older restoration but not a show car. It is original and has to be hand cranked. The seat bottoms have been refurbished but the seat backs are original Henry Ford. I refreshed it further with new wiring, timer and a new head gasket. I use it only during the summer months, the local children love it!! It also came with a trailer and I paid $13,500.00. Maybe more than what you want to spend but it is a brass car and beautiful to look at. Take care, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #11
redmodelt

"Plus, the cost of repair is high. One has to learn to do most maintenance themselves, but a properly rebuilt engine and transmission usually requires a machine shop. Original crankshafts typically have a lot of metal fatigue and although maybe good for a parade or occasional putting around, they are prone to breaking. More and more rebuilders are using a SCAT crank which is new and not prone to breaking, but they start around $1,600."

Model T parts are still low compared to other cars and as far as cranks go and there are a heck of lot of T's with stock cranks that get driven way more then just parades and around town. Yes sometimes they do break. As far as sending out for repair, depends on your skill level and tools you have. Some jobs require special tools some don't. The Model T Ford Club of America publishes some really good books, DVD's and there are some good videos on You-Tube done by people that know their stuff.