Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
31dan

Default Ven Plate

I'm thinking about buying a 31 CCPU. The seller has the truck registration, but I cannot find the Ven plate with the information on this truck. Can someone tell me where it should be or did they have one. Also does this change the value of the truck if it doesn't have one. I know all modern cars have Ven No. that tell if the numbers match, but did early trucks have these.
31dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
History

Default Re: Ven Plate

The engine serial number on the left side of the engine is usually the VIN number.

My title number doesn't match my engine serial number so my engine has been changed. I knew this because the car is a 1930 and the engine was stamped with a mid year 1931 serial number
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Mulletwagon

VIN numbers were not established on vehicles until 1955. On Model As the vehicle number was actually the engine number that is stamped on the left side of the block just below the head. On the assembly line the engine number was stamped on the left top of chassis frame just aft of the most forward body bolt. The chassis number is not visible without lifting the body. Needless to say, over the years engines are changed out and although engine rebuilders will normally stamp the number requested by the customer, the frame number and engine number often do not agree. Be sure to check to see that the engine number agrees with the number on the title. If the numbers do not agree be sure to check the rules in the state where the vehicle will be registered before buying. In some states the pain is too intense and expensive to make the buy. Good Luck.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
Gary WA

Number location-should be matching numbers need to lift body for the one on the rail-But the engines were changed out occasionally-should be on your registration Thanks to Jim Mason for photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engineno.jpg (72.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #5
eagle

If you know that the car is legally titled with a certain VIN, you can stamp that number in a suitable location yourself.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:21 AM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31dan View Post
I'm thinking about buying a 31 CCPU. The seller has the truck registration, but I cannot find the Ven plate with the information on this truck. Can someone tell me where it should be or did they have one. Also does this change the value of the truck if it doesn't have one. I know all modern cars have Ven No. that tell if the numbers match, but did early trucks have these.
You should add your general location to your profile and the general location of the truck. Ask the seller to show you the number. Does it change the value? I wouldn't buy a vehicle without a good title and the same number reflected on the vehicle either from the manufacturer of from a DMV installed plate. In most states you would be buying a problem. You could be buying a stolen vehicle with a title bought on EBAY. Stamping the number yourself can lead to an even bigger problem (check the law regarding tampering with VIN numbers). The local DMV should be able to recognize the correct number by location and font. It is possible a plate was added to the door jam by the DMV when the original engine was replaced.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
aermotor

If you have the body off and the Vin number exposed on the frame and it is the same as the engine number get a letter from a Vin inspector stating this.
The letter can be amended for future VIN verification if the engine is changed to a different Vin number without having to remove the body. Should also work in Florida - (I think).

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
If you have the body off and the Vin number exposed on the frame and it is the same as the engine number get a letter from a Vin inspector stating this.
The letter can be amended for future VIN verification if the engine is changed to a different Vin number without having to remove the body. Should also work in Florida - (I think).

John
If it is like California once the DMV is convinced that it is really your car they will put their own identification tag on the door jam.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Some states accept pencil rubbings of the frame numbers but I think I would get a rubbing legally witnessed and notarized in order to make it a legal document. Some states are tough to deal with. I'm fortunate that Texas isn't one of them for now.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote