Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
1928jalopy

Default Installing a Y-Block in a 36 Coupe

I purchased a 1956 272 Y-Block for my 36 Ford 5w Coupe and wanted to know if you have to modify the firewall to make it fit? I know that EMS sells a recess kit but I really don’t want to cut up the firewall that much maybe a small notch…Thanks for your help
1928jalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Firepower flyer

Default Re: Installing a Y-Block in a 36 Coupe

I can't answer your questions but I would like the same info.I want to run my 57 292 in my 36 3 window someday.A friend has a old hotrod magazine where they put one in a 36 5 window,I will try to get that and share the info.
Joe
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

'28,
The oil pan is a killer with the front sump. We reworked the oil pan and
'clearanced' the firewall to be able to access the distributor, this was on a '38
coupe back in '58. The 'Y' block is a bit long.

Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
40cpe

I put a 239 ('54 model. I know, but hindsight is good) in '37 coupe in1958. I used a thunderbird oil pan, a motor mount that bolted to the front and used the original frame holes. I don't know if the 239 is smaller, but I don't remember any clearance issues. I traded it to a friend who later changed it to an E430.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I put a 239 ('54 model. I know, but hindsight is good) in '37 coupe in1958. I used a thunderbird oil pan, a motor mount that bolted to the front and used the original frame holes. I don't know if the 239 is smaller, but I don't remember any clearance issues. I traded it to a friend who later changed it to an E430.
More on this story: My "friend"s car was a '40 convert. with built flathead. It turns out the flathead had a bad crank and he was trying to unload it. As luck would have it, the '54 engine in my '37 had a scored main but I didn't know it. His Dad said we both got beat on that deal.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
blucar

In 1955 I helped a friend of mine put a '55 Ford Y block into a '40 Ford coupe.
I recall that it was a real chore... We had to change the timing case cover/water-pump to a Merc.. overall it was shorter. We used a '50 Merc overdrive trans which required an open drive line. The rear end was modified with a pickup center section and springs.
The intent of the car was to make a really good highway driver, which the car turned out to be.. However, my '36 coupe with a highly modified 59 AB would run off and hide from my friends '40.
My friend and I took the car out to the drag strip one weekend to see how it would do through the lights. My friend was really disappointed because the car only turned 76 mph.
My friend used the car as his daily driver for over 15 years, he then painted it Omaha orange, it was originally black, and sold it. Within three weeks of the sale, the car was totaled by the new owner..
Hot Rod Magazine did a big article on the '40 in a '55 issue of their mag.. The car appeared again in Hot Magazine in the mid 60's in an article recalling cars of 'yesterday'.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
Tom Morookian

If the Y block is "free" I guess that's why you want to use it. Make sure you put the overhead oiler kit on or plan on charcoal under the valve covers.

The 289/302 is a much better option.

With an electric fan it will fit but clearance over the front crossmember is the issue. Mustang II front end works better. Box the frame and install motor mounts farther forward.

This discussion belongs on the HAMB. Try searching the archives there:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
PeteVS

There are other OHV engines that might fit better...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Fe26

HAMB is your friend...
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

For research on this find a HAMBer with a good magazine collection; R&C did a detailed 3 part swap on a Y into a '40 pickup, and HRM covered a swap into a '40 car. Good info on necessary cuts, major oil pan thrash, etc.
All the issues would be harder in a '36 due to the ultra-short engine compartment and slanted radiator.
IMHO...difficult swap to an engine that is heavier and externally bigger than its displacement and especially its power justify.
I'll probably be lynched for saying this...but a 283 Chevy is a FAR better package for fit and FARFARFAR better on every aspect of weight and size versus results.
IMHO...the SBC is not only the spiritual successor to the flathead, it is a practically interchangeable package with it.
If you read early rod magazines...they did how to hop your Y articles for a year or twoafter introduction, then suddenly the articles were all about how to swap nearly anything GM or Chrysler into your Y block powered Ford. There were reasons.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
SUHRsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
I'll probably be lynched for saying this....

77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
blucar

Quote:
For research on this find a HAMBer with a good magazine collection; R&C did a detailed 3 part swap on a Y into a '40 pickup, and HRM covered a swap into a '40 car. Good info on necessary cuts, major oil pan thrash, etc.
All the issues would be harder in a '36 due to the ultra-short engine compartment and slanted radiator.
IMHO...difficult swap to an engine that is heavier and externally bigger than its displacement and especially its power justify.
I'll probably be lynched for saying this...but a 283 Chevy is a FAR better package for fit and FARFARFAR better on every aspect of weight and size versus results.
IMHO...the SBC is not only the spiritual successor to the flathead, it is a practically interchangeable package with it.
If you read early rod magazines...they did how to hop your Y articles for a year or twoafter introduction, then suddenly the articles were all about how to swap nearly anything GM or Chrysler into your Y block powered Ford. There were reasons.
The Rocket Old's V8's were also a very popular swap into the early Ford cars... They fit very nicely in spite of the left hand starter.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
robert dick

growing up in N.E. in the 50's , Olds rockets , Caddys and Buicks were the most popular engine swaps. I can rememer a few "T" bird swaps , but they were not competative at the strip.
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
BRUCE...Not only are you forever-sharing and gifted in your knowledge of this old junk, but you are also quite open-minded and realistic when it comes down to real-world practicality and workable alternatives. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
1928jalopy

It’s funny to me that everyone keeps telling me to look on the HAMB for information when over half the people on that site have never even built a car before and have no clue. On the other hand; the Fordbarn is full of need I say older gentlemen that are directly responsible for modifying all the cars in the 50’s & 60's. Nobody’s mad we all love a traditional car! So why not ask the person who’s done it before and get the correct information first time.

Just some info on my car – 1936 5w Coupe that was modified sometime in the 50’s: Baby blue/white tuck n roll, Baby blue/white pinstripes, fender skirts, big black number 36 painted on the doors, Jefferson Texas painted on the quarters and a few other tricks. So as you can see I’m not starting with a complete original car because someone on the Fordbarn probably modified it way back when…..my plans are to put it back almost stock but add a different engine/trans combination and drive the wheels off of it!

At this ponit, I’m only asking a question about the swap and at the end of the day might even go back with a Flathead……just my 2 cents

Thanks for all of you help and information
Old 05-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #16
Fe26

It may well be the case that half the people on The Hamb have never built anything. Then again that could be said of Fordbarn members, such wild and woolly statements won't endear you to many here.

You have been politley referred to a sister site when members here thought your question was:
1. More appropriate to the topics dealt with on The Hamb
2. You would be more likely to find the information you require there
3. You would be in company with others who modify cars, rather than here where the focus is oriented more to the original than to the seriously modified.
4. The description you paint of your car and the way you intend to drive same suggest to my mind you are better suited as a member of the Hamb.
5. Your personality might also be better suited to the Hamb, over there they aren't afraid to 'call a spade a spade' and often they don't mind getting a little rude and personal.

If you take a moment to think you might realise that if half the people on the HAMB have never built anything, then by default, half of them have.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
rotorwrench

FoMoCo fans tout "keep a Ford in a Ford". When it comes to flatheads, we put 59As & 8BAs in older cars and it's no big deal. The Y block is an engine that was little more than a quick evolution of a flathead. When you dig into one attempting to increase the power of an older car without knowledge of the motor's design, you are taking on a big effort for little or no gain. The Y blocks are better off staying in the vehicles they were designed for. The flatheads are a lot more fun to play with even if they are underpowered little boat anchors. They get more attention than the monkey motion engines when car folks are shooting the breeze. Nobody really cares if they have all the idiosynchratic problems. They just keep trying ways to overcome them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #18
Henry Floored

I wish I had time to put my 2cents in this morning, but it is Mother's Day and I have my priorities. Maybe later......

`32 Ford with Lincoln Y
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
thunderbirdesq

I put a 56 272 in my '34 5w with an adaptor to a '39 trans... LOTS of work to make it fit, firewall recessed (it was chewed up and half cut out to begin with), front crossmember reworked, custom engine mounts, had to use ramhorn exhaust manifolds because any other stock exhaust manifolds would have dumped right into the pedals/steering/oil filter... It goes pretty good and looks nice, but for ease of install I think I'd just as soon put a flat motor in next time.

thunderbirdesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
1928jalopy

Thanks Thunderbirdesq
It sounds like the Flathead might be the way to go since I really don’t want to cut up my car to make the Y-Block fit.