Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default Best way to scuff a clean head

Tomorrow I'll be removing the head for a new gasket. Once I get the head surfaces clean, what is the best way to scuff the surfaces just enough to get a good seal with the graphite gasket I'll be using? I hear that some methods will leave a fine abrasive that can get into the pistons or oil and do some serious damage if one isn't careful. I'll stuff rags in the pistons holes, but I prefer to try and use something that won't leave a residue.

Don
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Best way to scuff a clean head

I don't see why it will need any scuffing, just scrape it clean and install the gasket after making sure both surfaces are totally flat.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Vaccum up any residue or run the vac while doing it, especially any of the water passages.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I don't see why it will need any scuffing, just scrape it clean and install the gasket after making sure both surfaces are totally flat.

I've seen this recommendation before. Do not want a polished/mirror surface. Brumfield gasket installation info , in the link.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/brum...structions.htm
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
chap52

If it's clean and flat you're all set. Put a few Sharpie marks on the head mating surface and you can use sandpaper on a sheet of glass to slide the head on to assure it's flat.
I coat the graphite gasket with a very light rub of wheel bearing grease. Helps when it comes time to change it again. I do this for all gaskets. Also have sprayed water pump and other cork gaskets with PAM cooking spray. Just something I learned along the way while working on flathead V8's. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
bigd1101

UPDATE: Got the head off. Has a nice crack between a water jacket hole and an oil passage. Surprised no water was getting into the oil but the gasket was also toast in two spots on the outer edge near the distributor hole. Ordered a new 5.5.1 head from Snyders. I'll put it on next week. Cleaned the block surface real well and straight edged it. Nice and flat. The water jackets looks pretty clean, no blocked ports so I should be OK there. will change the oil though, in case any stuff got down in there during the cleaning. Valves look good, pistons and walls look good, not hardly any carbon on the tops so I'll leave them alone. The old girl will be very happy after all this.

Don
Old 06-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Brian T

In addition to what Paul said, invariably some junk will fall into the water jackets and cylinders, when finished cleaning wipe some grease on the cylinder walls and crank the engine over by hand then any dirt will stick to the grease and can be wiped out.
When the head is on and plugs installed, I flush the block by removing the water inlet and flush down thru the outlet to remove any gasket particles which would end up in the radiator.
I see it mentioned often that Graphite gaskets are difficult to remove, using a gasket or decal remover softens them up making this a easy job, this type of gasket as been used for many years.

Just saw your post about the 5.5 head, you and the old girl are going to like it.

Last edited by Brian T; 06-15-2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added text
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
In addition to what Paul said, invariably some junk will fall into the water jackets and cylinders, when finished cleaning wipe some grease on the cylinder walls and crank the engine over by hand then any dirt will stick to the grease and can be wiped out.
When the head is on and plugs installed, I flush the block by removing the water inlet and flush down thru the outlet to remove any gasket particles which would end up in the radiator.
I see it mentioned often that Graphite gaskets are difficult to remove, using a gasket or decal remover softens them up making this a easy job, this type of gasket as been used for many years.

Just saw your post about the 5.5 head, you and the old girl are going to like it.

Will do. I have a Gano filter on the outlet but will flush the jacket first. The Gano will catch any stray stuff before it reaches the radiator once the car is running.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
Railcarmover
BANNED

Where is the oil passage on the head?

if you have to scuff it use scotchbrite extra fine body pads..BTW Mr Brierley is a pretty smart fella when it comes to these engines
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #10
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Where is the oil passage on the head?

if you have to scuff it use scotchbrite extra fine body pads..BTW Mr Brierley is a pretty smart fella when it comes to these engines

I just cleaned it well........no scuffing at this point. Should be good to go.......
Old 06-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

"The water jackets looks pretty clean, no blocked ports so I should be OK there."

I've never seen blocked ports, but a lot of rusty crud settles in the rear bottom of the cooling chamber. Dig around with an old cable or some such, then blow out the junk.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
katy

Quote:
Got the head off. Has a nice crack between a water jacket hole and an oil passage.
Can you post a picture of that? Some of us are interested as to where that "oil passage" is.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #13
chap52

Your going to love the new head and the difference it will make. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:07 AM   #14
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Can you post a picture of that? Some of us are interested as to where that "oil passage" is.

I'm sure it's all water ports.........I was guessing seeing I've never done a head job on anything.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:08 AM   #15
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
Your going to love the new head and the difference it will make. Chap

No doubt Chap..........no doubt!