Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Colonel

Default Convert Original Generator to 12V

I am looking to retain the look of the original 6v generator. Is there a way I can convert the internals to 12v? Anybody sell one?
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Convert Original Generator to 12V

Install a 12 volt cutout and adjust the output. Guys do the same to Model T gens all the time. 6 amps is 6 amps, don't really matter if going to 6, 8 or 12 volt battery.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
jmeckel

A good old type automotive electric shop can change the winding's to properly charge a 12 volt battery. Yes you can just put a 12 volt cut out on, however it will not charge the battery very fast, it will work, just be slow. You can also purchase an alternator that fits inside the case of an original generator, you get the advantages of an alternator with the looks of the old generator. I did know the site to purchase this setup, just can't remember it right now.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
quickchange

Would not a diode be better as its an electrical tap ?? Change polarity , If going 12volt & think repolarize the genny ?? Cut out .6volt ???? too 12 volt ??? is there such a thing??? thought it was just a tap, ??? Not too old to learn ??
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Sparky

I have a Fun Projects 12V regulator with an unmodified (except for repolarizing) generator. Before I got the regulator I used a diode cotout with a 12V battery. So you can try it and see if you like it before modifying the windings.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
Brace Bailey

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Power master manufactures a 12v alternator that looks like the original generator. I found several on E-bay. They are not cheap......
Brace Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
antiquepa

#6..The power master alternator can be bought at jeg's, got one on my roadster and love it. cost $350.00..If your going to be driving at night its well worth the cost..!! looks like a model A generator..but gives you an alternator.
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I have run a completely stock original model A generator on 12 volts for 11 years on my roadster . It charges 12 volts just as quickly as it will charge six volts . The generator charges in amps and doesn't know the difference .The generator will charge whatever volt battery that it is hooked up to , up to 40 volts or more . A good original type cut out can be used on 12 volts but you won't have voltage regulation . I use the Fun Projects can style twelve volt voltage regulator . The Fun Projects regulator mounts in place of the cut out and looks original . The Peterson regulator mounts inside the generator band but still requires the use of the often troublesome cut out that has points that can stick unless a diode is installed . The Nurex regulator that takes the place of the third brush only works on six volts . The adjustable third brush on the original generator can be adjusted to charge 8 to ten amps when used with the 12 volt Fun projects voltage regulator . Unless you plan on using a lot of high amp draw accessories the original generator will serve you well on twelve volts.. AS far as accessories go , I run mine pretty much as original . I do use 35 watt halogen bulbs that fit the original headlamp sockets with no problems and two tail lamps for safety and thats it . There is really no need to change a single wire from original . I still run positive ground . You can run the original coil on 12 volts but you will have to use a ballast resister connected to it . For a clean look I use a Pertronix flame thrower 3.0 ohm epoxy filled coil and no resister is needed . This is a performance coil that can be mounted in the original manner . I Figure that I get the best of both worlds with this setup . I get fast starts, bright lights and a more powerfull and reliable electrical system that looks completely original . Twelve volt batteries are available anywhere and are usually less expensive than a two year warranty 6 volt . I use the original starter with good service . Some feel more comfortable using 12 volt field coils in the starter to slow engaugement of the starter drive . This is a personal choice . The original bendix drive can fail no matter what voltage is used . I have had no problems with original 6 volt starters . I used original 6 volt starters on 12 volts on Y block V8s back in the day for quick starts and never had a minutes trouble. Twelve volts can operate on less amps and will run cooler and last longer as a result . Model A's were originally simple cars and didn't run lots of high amp draw accessories , If I need that I will just use the modern car .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-13-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: I added punctuation that I had missed adding .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:24 PM   #9
quickchange

Purdy, Thanks for the great explanation, One question Where can one buy the Fun Projects can style 12v regulator, from as not heard of that in NZ , Thanks again,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Quickchange , thanks for the kind words !!! Here is a link that will get you in touch with the maker of the voltage regulator that I use . www.funprojects.com An electrical engineer , John Regan produces this part in many versions . It can be had in 6,8 or 12 volt , Positive or negative ground. These regulators are the very easiest to install . First the third brush is set for a charge rate as described in the instructions . Then the regulator is mounted to the generator just like a cut out would be installed and that is all there is to it. The regulator will cycle from a few amps to maximum setting on demand like a modern voltage regulator. No modification to the original generator is necessary . Some offer what they call 12 volt field coils trhat only amount to more wire that is smaller gauge and are more difficult to install than original field coils . John told me that the so called 12 volt field coils were not necessary and would be a waste of time . I use the original 6 volt field coils .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-14-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added spaces
Old 12-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Purdy,
THANK YOU, fer tipin' ALL that, AGAIN!!!!!
Bro Bill
Old 12-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Bill , If a person asks a question about a subject that I have experience and interest with , I will continue to answer as best that I can . I can't take it with me !!! Someone needs to pass on the information or it can be lost . I'm getting purdy old .
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Bill , If a person asks a question about a subject that I have experience and interest with , I will continue to answer as best that I can . I can't take it with me !!! Someone needs to pass on the information or it can be lost . I'm getting purdy old .
You're NOT OLD, shit, I'll be 82, MONDAY
Bill Methusala
Old 12-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
Patrick L.

Yep, what Purdy said.

Hey, where ya been ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Yep, what Purdy said.

Hey, where ya been ?

Hey Pat , I've mostly been puttering atound in the shop and fooling around with our model A's . I haven't posted all that much anywhere in n over two years . Its good to see you here !!!
Your friend Purdy .
Old 12-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Brother Bill , I'm in my 72nd year .
Old 12-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #17
Jw

converted my 34 to 12 volt, had the gen converted to 12 volt by a company in Kansas, still has the 6 volt starter, yes the 6 volt gen can be converted to 12 volt just FYI
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #18
SAJ

Great to see you back Purdy. Please keep unloading all those years of accumulated knowledge so us "youngsters" can learn.
I am 73, an older youngster, who still enjoys raising a bit of he'll on my Harley. Like setting off the alarms in parked cars as I pass by slipping the clutch to get some noise out.
That should get some tut tuts from the spoil sports!!
SAJ in NZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171216_093640-768x768.jpg (48.5 KB, 11 views)
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
You're NOT OLD, shit, I'll be 82, MONDAY
Bill Methusala
Bill, one question. Ya got your plot picked out yet?

Happy Birthday!!

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-15-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #20
Purdy Swoft

Thanks SAJ , I'll try my best !!! I like that T shirt . I use to have a 64 Duo Glide , I wish to hell that I had kept it . That was years ago and they are probably too expensive now for me . I loved the spark on the left handle bar and the kick starter . I don't think that they mak em like that anymore . I talked my wife Deb into dying her long hair red and we thought we were pretty cool !!!!!!!