Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
RalphG

Default 1952 Keys

Does anybody know which key unlocks the trunk and doors on a 52 Merc? I was lucky enough to locate the original keys for this one but neither one will go into the trunk lock far enough to do anything. I assumed the round head key would be the right one. Photo shows the original ignition key in centre and the new ignition key (switch was replaced in the sixties) on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc Keys.jpg (61.5 KB, 37 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
40 Deluxe

Default Re: 1952 Keys

If you haven't already, spray some good penetrating oil (NOT WD-40!) into the lock opening. Let soak a few days and try the key with lots of wiggling to free up the pins. Does the round key fit the door locks?? The ignition key and the trunk/door key are grooved differently on the sides so an ignition key will not even fit the trunk lock and vice versa. So if your round key slides into the ignition switch something is amiss.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
50fordcoupeman

On my Ford I believe the trunk and glove box key is the same for what its worth.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
Greg58

Ralph on my 50 the doors and ignition use the same key, the trunk and glove box the other. I have several keys for mine, some are original but none would open the drivers side door lock. I figure that lock was replaced early on but was never used, I replaced the ignition and door locks as well as the trunk cylinder.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
paul2748

Typically, the round head key worked the trunk lock and the glove box lock - the other the ignition and doors as was mentioned above.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
RalphG

A little history on this trunk lock. In the last year or so of it's duty as the family sedan, one day the trunk lid would not open. My dad ended up using a pry bar to get it open, hence the bungee cord that holds it closed now. I don't know if a key broke off inside it (probably not if I've got the round key in my hand) or it just got sticky or out of adjustment. I notice the trunk lock mechanism is trashed on the 53 Merc parts car as well so maybe they had a weakness in that department. I have not tried the door locks or oil in the trunk lock but will tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Back in the day you could purchase new lock sets that had the OEM keys for Ign/Doors & Glove bx/Trunk. I've found a few sets on flea-pay before for my 51 cars but a good lock smith may be able to rework the tumblers to fit a specific key cut to match a set up.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
George

Contact Flathead coupe on Fordbarn to get your locks right at very reasonable prices. He is in Apex, N.C.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
runewilliam_merc

I bought a used trunk lid emblem(?) for my 1952 Mercury. I used a whole evening with a feeler gauge (0,05mm) and different wires to pick the lock, so that I could get the cylinder out. On the cylinder, there was a lid that holds the springs and pins in place. I could use three of five pin sets, the two that I could not use was removed.

If you are not familiar with locks and find no pleasure in fiddeling with fine mechanics: leave it to a locksmith!

(Sorry for any grammar faults or misspellings, I am from Norway)

Rune
runewilliam_merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #10
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by runewilliam_merc View Post
I bought a used trunk lid emblem(?) for my 1952 Mercury. I used a whole evening with a feeler gauge (0,05mm) and different wires to pick the lock, so that I could get the cylinder out. On the cylinder, there was a lid that holds the springs and pins in place. I could use three of five pin sets, the two that I could not use was removed.

If you are not familiar with locks and find no pleasure in fiddeling with fine mechanics: leave it to a locksmith!

(Sorry for any grammar faults or misspellings, I am from Norway)

Rune
Thanks. I don't think I will get that far into it. I am pretty sure there is a piece of a broken off key stuck in this trunk lock and that is stopping the key from going in. The round head key does fit the glove compartment lock and turns it. Also fits the door locks but they don't turn. Not a problem on them but I might try to get that trunk lock working so I can dispense with the bungee cord.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:33 PM   #11
Thriftmaster

Take the back seat out of the car and you can climb into the trunk and open it. Then pull the horse shoe clip that holds the lock in place and take it to the lock smith and he can re key it to your glove box. I personally took my door locks and my trunk lock in and had all of them keyed to the glove box so they are all the same. Cost me &50.00 and money well spent as they came with an extra key as well. I have my ignition keyed all by itself to the factory original key.
Thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:56 PM   #12
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftmaster View Post
Take the back seat out of the car and you can climb into the trunk and open it. Then pull the horse shoe clip that holds the lock in place and take it to the lock smith.
No need to remove the seat on this one as the trunk lock is non functional and easily accessible from the open lid. I just need to figure how to get what appears to be the broken stub of key out of the lock I'll have a look for that horseshoe clip you refer to.