Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
daveymc29

Default Update on starting problem

With 12V neg grd and a push start starter switch I suddenly had the car start only when I cranked it with the starter until it was rolling over rapidly then let off on the starter switch. In other words no spark while cranking. I received several suggestions concerning the rectification of the problem and yesterday decided it was time to correct it. I pulled open the hood and with a bright light looked at everything. The circuit breaker seemed to be a bit cocked in the fuse holder so I removed it and carefully replaced it fully into the fuse holder. All is well. Wish all fixes were this easy. Thanks for your support.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #2
GerryAllen

Default Re: Update on starting problem

I had a problem with my starter and found out it was the placement of the fuse as well
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:35 PM   #3
CWPASADENA

Thanks for the up date.

Often suggestions are made and we never find out what the actual problem was.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
chap52

Good news. Thanks for the update. I know that I have pulled the fuse to work on something electrical on my car and then tried to start more than once and then remembered to re set the fuse.
How about when in a parking lot you get ready to leave , start her up, back out of your parking spot, lots of folks looking and smiling then the engine dies because you for forgot to open the fuel valve. Good news mine is under the dash and I don't have to get out to remedy the problem. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Davey,
Use the G.M. bayonet type circuit breaker, with the supplied pig tail. They're FOOL PROOF!!!----Use a 30 Amp one.
Bill W.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #6
daveymc29

Well up date on the update. This morning the battery was dead. Charged it a bit and it started right up. When I shut it off I pulled the circuit breaker, which is what I had been doing almost since I got the car. So one of these days I'm going to wire the solenoid correctly and find out where the juice is leaking. Bill, I have a breaker that works if I'm careful putting it in, I also wrapped a snap tie around it so I can pull it in a hurry if things start to go south on me. I'm going to have a friend that know electricity come over and walk me through the solenoid also. I have it working swell but the starter button grounds the whole frame of the solenoid and I have one post that has no wire to it. I suspect if I hooked the grounding wire that grounds the solenoid to the post that is now hot and put that wire on the unused post that some of my immediate problems would go away. I have a grandkid here and tomorrow will try to talk him into showing me how to post a schematic of my present system for you all to pick apart. Thanks,
Dave the un-electrician.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #7
daveymc29

Put the circuit breaker in this morning and started right up and we drove off for coffee. When I got home it hooded the starter area and removed the circuit breaker. No little spark now. Guessing the circuit breaker can be fitted too close to the rear of the fuse holder and leak a few amps so that the battery will be dead in the morning. I removed it a few times and still no spark so I made sure it was centered and will try it tomorrow. It never has shown discharge on the ampmeter even when I could detect a spark removing the circuit breaker or fuse, depending on which I had put in there. Also never could get a meter reading across the fuse holder, so I'm not real sure where the draw occurs that sometimes kills the battery.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:33 AM   #8
The Master Cylinder

Dave, why don't you install a proper shut off switch instead of fiddling with your circuit breaker. A shut off switch, if wired properly, will shut off ALL power from the battery while it is resting overnight.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 03-12-2019 at 08:23 PM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
1931 flamingo

DITTO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #10
KGBnut

Also, if your battery is draining when the car sits, one important thing to check is to ensure that your generator cut-off is working properly.

Ken
Old 03-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #11
daveymc29

Ken,

I'm using alternators on both cars now. a understand there is a tiny bit of draw when the car is not running. Something about keeping the alternator ready for action. Electricity and women I don't understand. Sometime one more than the other but enjoy having both around so I guess I have learned to live with some mood swings. I think I do have a proper shut off but know I want to mount it in the cab and I don't have cables for that yet. I joined the procrastinators club, but haven't mailed in my dues yet. So much to do, so little time.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #12
Big hammer

A sticking brake light switch will drain a battery quickly, sounds like your driving it every couple of days, so your alternator shouldn't drain the battery if it's a good alternator!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

My shutdown procedure includes always checking the Ammeter. Got into this habit because my brake linkage is worn and the pedal does not always return fully which leaves the brake light on. This only happens when the truck is sitting and motor not running. If I pull the brake pedal back with my toe, the linkage fully returns.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote