Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
1oldtimer
Senior Member
 
1oldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Orange County, Ca.
Posts: 581
Default Name that bellhousing

Trying to find what this bell housing came off of (and then I need to find one). I need a year and car.



8ba to toploader
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FH BH ford cast.JPG (8.8 KB, 113 views)
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
cas3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: sw minnesota
Posts: 1,771
Default Re: Name that bellhousing

i think i have one, will check tomorrow after work
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #3
1oldtimer
Senior Member
 
1oldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Orange County, Ca.
Posts: 581
Default Re: Name that bellhousing

Ok, found out what it fits. Looks like a 1951 Mercury and I need the bellhousing with matching starter plate and the lower cover.


I need the 8ba bolt pattern to the motor and the 4 bolt to the transmission with the old style clutch shaft NOT the arm. Does this sound like the '51 Mercury?

Last edited by 1oldtimer; 09-22-2019 at 10:57 PM.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
V8 Bob
Senior Member
 
V8 Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Granger (Northern) Indiana
Posts: 1,224
Default Re: Name that bellhousing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
Ok, found out what it fits. Looks like a 1951 Mercury and I need the bellhousing with matching starter plate and the lower cover.


I need the 8ba bolt pattern to the motor and the 4 bolt to the transmission with the old style clutch shaft NOT the arm. Does this sound like the '51 Mercury?
The regular production full cast iron '51 Mercury bell is the one with the early ('40-'48 T/O bearing shaft) and fork. This bell, and '52-'53 Ford and Mercury full cast car bells all use the same starter plates and lower inspection covers.

Last edited by V8 Bob; 09-23-2019 at 08:16 AM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
rotorwrench
Senior Member
 
rotorwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 10,163
Default Re: Name that bellhousing

The late 51 Merc item is the only one that has the rotating fork like the old Fords. The 52/53 Ford & Merc had a fulcrum arm to actuate the throw out but they do share the starter plates and lower cover of the 51 Merc style.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
V8 Bob
Senior Member
 
V8 Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Granger (Northern) Indiana
Posts: 1,224
Default Re: Name that bellhousing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The late 51 Merc item is the only one that has the rotating fork like the old Fords. The 52/53 Ford & Merc had a fulcrum arm to actuate the throw out but they do share the starter plates and lower cover of the 51 Merc style.

I think "later" '51 Merc may be more accurate, as I have never seen first hand or any pictures of 1951 Mercury bells, other than the full cast iron version; never the stamped steel 1/2 bell round pattern carry-over from '49-'50. I would think the shop manuals would have shown both versions if the cast bell was "late", since they are usually printed very early in production, but none do, at least U.S. manuals. I don't know when the actual change took place but guess it was very early U.S. to use up '49-'50 parts, maybe later elsewhere like Canada, etc. If you know some factual info please share.

An example of shop manual early printing is in my '64 Ford/Mercury shop manual that shows only the B/W T-10 4-speed, like I had in my early R-code Galaxie, not the normal '64 production Ford top-loader.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #7
Mac VP
Senior Member
 
Mac VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: Name that bellhousing

I’m pretty sure we have one of those bell housings in our core pile at the shop. I’d have to look to see if it has the inspection cover with it. If you’re still hunting this up let me know and I’ll have a look....... Mac
__________________
VANPELT SALES LLC
Cincinnati, Ohio
800-299-7496 (in USA)
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
rotorwrench
Senior Member
 
rotorwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 10,163
Default Re: Name that bellhousing

Ford started the change over to the new transmission on the Mercury cars sometime in late January or February of 1951. Both of my 1951 cars were manufactured in November of 1950 so they still have the early style half bell set up. 1951 was the change over to the new diamond cut gears that were a improvement over the older gears since they have a wider tooth face profile. Ford likely wanted all the cars to use the same basic transmission & bell housing and that came to pass in 1952 for Ford and Mercury cars when they all went to swing type pedals.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
V8 Bob
Senior Member
 
V8 Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Granger (Northern) Indiana
Posts: 1,224
Default Re: Name that bellhousing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Ford started the change over to the new transmission on the Mercury cars sometime in late January or February of 1951. Both of my 1951 cars were manufactured in November of 1950 so they still have the early style half bell set up. 1951 was the change over to the new diamond cut gears that were a improvement over the older gears since they have a wider tooth face profile. Ford likely wanted all the cars to use the same basic transmission & bell housing and that came to pass in 1952 for Ford and Mercury cars when they all went to swing type pedals.

The '51 Merc 4-bolt transmissions are exactly the same as the newer/improved '51 Fords, except for the shift arms. I guess it was cheaper/easier to design and build a one-year-only 4-bolt bell for the '51 Mercury rather than redesign the clutch linkage to use the '49-'51 Ford stamped bell.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #10
rotorwrench
Senior Member
 
rotorwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 10,163
Default Re: Name that bellhousing

They would have had to change the pedals too since the designs tie into each other. That would have made for a pretty big 1/2 year change on the Mercury cars. Change one thing and two more things are affected. I guess they really wanted to use that new transmission. The Mercury also kept the 10-inch Borg & Beck clutch but they changed the disk hub for the 1-inch 10-spline input.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.