Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
1930artdeco
Senior Member
 
1930artdeco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,611
Default just curious

The GF and I are starting to plan a month long trip down Route 66. TO that end I will be pulling the whole power train so that it can be freshened up/rebuilt. This is what I plan on doing after I save up a bout load of money:


-Engine built up by Skokie for touring (5.5 head, Lg intake, Model B carb and Stipe cam)
-Tranny freshened up since it is almost 90
-Install a Mitchell
-Read end refresh (which is where my question comes in)


I have a Townsedan with a stock 3.78 rear gears and was wondering if a set of 3.50's might be a little better for her on todays roads. She revs a little faster since I had 15 lbs. shaved off so not sure if this will help with that or not. I just don't want to lose to much power since she is a heavy car. Just thinking out loud here.....




Thanks,


Mike
__________________
1930 TownSedan (Briggs)
Still learning after all these years....
1930artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
TerryH
Senior Member
 
TerryH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fountain Valley, Calif.
Posts: 768
Default Re: just curious

It seems to me that most of the Model A owner’s I know or have heard with a Mitchell, in the standard 26% configuration, prefer the stock 3.78 rear end. The Town Sedan is the heaviest Model A, so going to a higher ratio might not pull as well into the wind or up slight grades. With a Mitchell my Town Sedan feels very comfortable at 60, with some running at 65.....I don’t feel a need to go any faster than that with stock brakes and tires.

Last edited by TerryH; 06-23-2019 at 12:03 PM.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #3
CWPASADENA
Senior Member
 
CWPASADENA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PASADENA, CA
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: just curious

I agree with TerryH!!!


Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
1930artdeco
Senior Member
 
1930artdeco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,611
Default Re: just curious

OK, just spit balling.


Mike
__________________
1930 TownSedan (Briggs)
Still learning after all these years....
1930artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C
Senior Member
 
BRENT in 10-uh-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 8,986
Default Re: just curious

Mike, personally I think my recommendations are gonna go against the grain of what others here are going to suggest, but IMO you first need to decide whether the intent is to get there as fast as you can, -or take one extra day and travel at a slower pace to see the sights.


Now this is where this is going to get controversial, but I am going to suggest a different combination for these type trips. I would go with a babbitted engine instead of an inserted engine for the main reason that should you encounter a bearing issue on the road at some point, a babbitted engine can be limped a long way, and then it can generally be repaired in a hotel parking lot by adjusting shims. When you hear a loose bearing on an insert engine, you need to find a way to transport it home.

My suggestion is for you to consider a package very closely aligned with stock Model-A parts. My reasoning is that in almost every town across the country you can find someone who owns a Model-A that has some parts that they can sell/loan you to get yourself home. Personally, I would go with a babbitted bottom end, a 6.0 CR cylinder head, an IB330 camshaft, and O/S intake valves. Have whomever rebuilds it to blueprint the engine to exacting standards with the clearances including tappet bores, piston bores, guides, etc. The same detail needs to be spent on balancing all of the reciprocating items. An engine with properly poured babbitt and proper clearances will go 50k miles very reliably.

Since we are spec-ing out stuff, use a stock-type ignition system and a rebuilt 6v generator for electrical power. Install a new, quality-made reproduction wiring harness and purchase a rebuilt original Ammeter to install. If you are going to disassemble & check the transmission, then install new bearings if it is not making any peculiar noises now. For the rear end, just install a 3.54 Ring & Pinion and inspect the housings and restore if out of specs.

My point in saying all of the above is do NOT get sucked into believing you need all the modern electronic ignitions, overdrives, 16" wheels, fuel pumps, etc. to have a reliable touring car. With the babbitted engine which has been blueprinted by an engine rebuilder who knows how to do a good job, you will find your Fordor will effortlessly cruise all day at 55 mph without a problem HOWEVER here is what you need to think thru. If you take a 2,000 mile trip in your Sedan and average traveling at 42 mph instead of 50 mph, that slower speed only takes less than one day longer to make the entire trip (6 days instead of 5 days.) -and if that extra night of lodging costs you $150.00, it is still WAY cheaper than a Mitchell. Plus, when you average 42 mph, you can still easily cover over 325 miles in a day if you need to. My point is if you are looking to make a whirlwind trip, just go ahead and drive your modern vehicle. On the other hand, if you are wanting to slow your pace down and enjoy the scenery only found on the secondary roads, then don't waste money trying to make your car drive as fast as a modern vehicle or you will speed right on by that scenery and miss it all.
__________________
.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
.
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
ryanheacox
Senior Member
 
ryanheacox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northwest CT
Posts: 575
Default Re: just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Mike, personally I think my recommendations are gonna go against the grain of what others here are going to suggest, but IMO you first need to decide whether the intent is to get there as fast as you can, -or take one extra day and travel at a slower pace to see the sights.


Now this is where this is going to get controversial, but I am going to suggest a different combination for these type trips. I would go with a babbitted engine instead of an inserted engine for the main reason that should you encounter a bearing issue on the road at some point, a babbitted engine can be limped a long way, and then it can generally be repaired in a hotel parking lot by adjusting shims. When you hear a loose bearing on an insert engine, you need to find a way to transport it home.

My suggestion is for you to consider a package very closely aligned with stock Model-A parts. My reasoning is that in almost every town across the country you can find someone who owns a Model-A that has some parts that they can sell/loan you to get yourself home. Personally, I would go with a babbitted bottom end, a 6.0 CR cylinder head, an IB330 camshaft, and O/S intake valves. Have whomever rebuilds it to blueprint the engine to exacting standards with the clearances including tappet bores, piston bores, guides, etc. The same detail needs to be spent on balancing all of the reciprocating items. An engine with properly poured babbitt and proper clearances will go 50k miles very reliably.

Since we are spec-ing out stuff, use a stock-type ignition system and a rebuilt 6v generator for electrical power. Install a new, quality-made reproduction wiring harness and purchase a rebuilt original Ammeter to install. If you are going to disassemble & check the transmission, then install new bearings if it is not making any peculiar noises now. For the rear end, just install a 3.54 Ring & Pinion and inspect the housings and restore if out of specs.

My point in saying all of the above is do NOT get sucked into believing you need all the modern electronic ignitions, overdrives, 16" wheels, fuel pumps, etc. to have a reliable touring car. With the babbitted engine which has been blueprinted by an engine rebuilder who knows how to do a good job, you will find your Fordor will effortlessly cruise all day at 55 mph without a problem HOWEVER here is what you need to think thru. If you take a 2,000 mile trip in your Sedan and average traveling at 42 mph instead of 50 mph, that slower speed only takes less than one day longer to make the entire trip (6 days instead of 5 days.) -and if that extra night of lodging costs you $150.00, it is still WAY cheaper than a Mitchell. Plus, when you average 42 mph, you can still easily cover over 325 miles in a day if you need to. My point is if you are looking to make a whirlwind trip, just go ahead and drive your modern vehicle. On the other hand, if you are wanting to slow your pace down and enjoy the scenery only found on the secondary roads, then don't waste money trying to make your car drive as fast as a modern vehicle or you will speed right on by that scenery and miss it all.

Agree 100%. People used to drive these cars bone stock cross-country, no reason you can't either. Or at least mostly stock like Brent suggests.



I'm planning to drive the length of the east cost in the next few years and my car has a 5.5 head and "touring" cam otherwise bone stock. Mapping out the trip with an average speed of 40MPH.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
Brian SATX
Senior Member
 
Brian SATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 637
Default Re: just curious

Good points Brent.
__________________
Brian SATX
Brian SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:53 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 27,417
Default Re: just curious

I agree with Brent. Just because a car can go fast, doesn't mean you have to drive fast. I drove my longest Model A trip at speeds from 42 to 45 MPH, made a few stops for gas and antiques shops, and arrived relaxed. No need to drive at nail biting speeds. As Brent mentioned, the slower speed lets you see more, and at the end of the day, it takes very little extra time to cover the distance.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:22 AM   #9
Synchro909
Senior Member
 
Synchro909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,412
Default Re: just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I agree with Brent. Just because a car can go fast, doesn't mean you have to drive fast. I drove my longest Model A trip at speeds from 42 to 45 MPH, made a few stops for gas and antiques shops, and arrived relaxed. No need to drive at nail biting speeds. As Brent mentioned, the slower speed lets you see more, and at the end of the day, it takes very little extra time to cover the distance.
The hare and the tortiose!
__________________
Life's journey is best undertaken slowly.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
1930artdeco
Senior Member
 
1930artdeco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,611
Default Re: just curious

I totally agree as I tend to cruise around 50 until look down and notice the car doing 55��. Since I redid the engine she now wants to cruise at 55-60����. It is amazing what happens when one gets an engine that runs great finally. I am just trying to make this as easy on the engine as possible. And we will have a whole month (at least that is the plan) to bumble around and see the sights.

Mike
__________________
1930 TownSedan (Briggs)
Still learning after all these years....
1930artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
jhowes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upstate NY near Mass border
Posts: 750
Default Re: just curious

I agree totally with Brent. Last summer my brother and I went from Daytona Beach to Vermont. You would be surprised how beautiful this country is when you travel at 50 mph and see the sites. We had a town sedan ( his ) mostly stock. If I wanted to get there faster I would have flown. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:31 AM   #12
Garagekulture13
Senior Member
 
Garagekulture13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 138
Default Re: just curious

I also plan my trips out but sometimes you can not avoid a highway with a stated speed of 55. Now that is stated. No one is running 55 but me and in short time it looks like I'm leading a parade route. I'm running a touring motor in a Tudor and still have people pushing me down the highway. I wish I had an overdrive if not just to get out of the way. Having to pull over and let 15 cars go by isn't the safest option. I don't think anyone with the ability to reach a higher speed is complaining. Just because you can with a Mitchell or new gears mean you have too but it would be nice if you could when you needed too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,402
Default Re: just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garagekulture13 View Post
I also plan my trips out but sometimes you can not avoid a highway with a stated speed of 55. Now that is stated. No one is running 55 but me and in short time it looks like I'm leading a parade route. I'm running a touring motor in a Tudor and still have people pushing me down the highway. I wish I had an overdrive if not just to get out of the way. Having to pull over and let 15 cars go by isn't the safest option. I don't think anyone with the ability to reach a higher speed is complaining. Just because you can with a Mitchell or new gears mean you have too but it would be nice if you could when you needed too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


Great answer. I've never quite understood before the hyping of the Mitchell. But I can now understand the advantages if your into touring or in a situation where you can not avoid higher speed traffic.




Thanks.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #14
Jim Brierley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 2,899
Default Re: just curious

I like your combo but would use a 4.11 rear ratio, and a 6:1 head. I do like babbitt and have been glad that's what I had, drove from Baker, CA to West Covina after tightening 1 rod. No damage to the crank. I also like point ignition and carry a spare set and condenser. Some upgrades are excellent, some are a waste of time and can be detrimental. Carry spare parts and a MAFCA roster, just in case.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.